It has been 100 years since the world was plunged into its first global conflict spanning 1914 to 1918.
To mark this, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning 11th November 2015, and finishing on the 12th of October 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in World War I.
The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread. By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread.
There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome
The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 12th of October, ending Midday the 19th of October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
Neat choice. No rigging to worry about and as long as the corrugations in the body don't need any repairs it should be a straight forward little build.
Are you going to paint the crosses or stock up on Micro-sol.
Powder wrote: Neat choice. No rigging to worry about
This did not escape my attention. Hopefully this will be a relaxing quick build. My other scale beside 1/32 is 1/72. I have a cupboard full of them. I was thinking of starting a thread devoted to occasional 1/72 builds.
Three sprues, one being devoted to generic parts for WWI German aircraft (engines, guns). The molding is very nice, especially the corrugations on the fuselage and wings. The surface of the plastic looks a little pebbly. Not too many decals and the instruction looked to be a couple of folded photocopies. This is my first Roden kit, so it will be interesting to see how it goes together (and how quickly).
Grant wrote: This is my first Roden kit, so it will be interesting to see how it goes together (and how quickly).
They have a reputation for being 'stingy' on part locating features - like the little pins on parts that fit into holes on other parts - but for a monoplane it's pretty hard to see where you'd go wrong. Put the big wings at the front and the rest should be obvious
First paint (a custom mix to match the sky blue required):
Some thoughts on the kit: the detail is very nice, and it build int a cool looking subject. The plastic is soft and brittle. It was almost impossible to get the smaller parts off the sprues without them snapping. Fit is reasonably good, though I'm still not quite sure what was meant to be going on the cowl around the machine guns. The kit takes a bit of fettling to get right, but nothing too difficult. I'm looking forward to getting some paint on this.
Masked and then painted the lilac which I mixed from Tamiya flat red, medium blue, and pink acrylic. Then blu tacked a camo pattern. There are just a few touch ups and then I'll do the detail painting.
Looking great there Grant.
It looks like assembly wasn't too much of a problem. I didn't mean my earlier post to be too critical of Roden - I'm actually quite a fan of their range especially the more odd-ball subjects.
The decals are complete rubbish. They cracked, wouldn't conform to the corrugations, didn't respond to the the solution at all. The pics above are before I spent about two hours working on them. They are still not perfect but a vast improvement on the above. This was another build that sailed a long sweetly until the decals. I hate decals.
I'm finished with this one. The decal reverted to #%$* once I applied the flat coat. I really enjoyed this simple build and I really like the subject though. I have the Wingnut Junkers J1 which has some of the same attributes, but I'd love to do a D1 in 1/32 now. I'm not aware there is one though.