Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
  • Page:
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #31

• Tiger
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 938
Looks great Wally.
Tiger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #32

• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
  • Thank you received: 360
Grant, I've only been building exclusively RNZAF Pacific WW2 for about 2 or 3 years and I have sold some built models along the way so currently I have 15 x 1/48 on the shelves at home, covering most of the "away" fleet - Buffalo, Kittyhawk x 2, Corsair x 4, Avenger, Dauntless x 2, PV-1 x 2, Hudson and Catalina plus "at home" Walrus & Harvard.
During that time I've also built around 8 x RNZAF WW2 Pacific commissions in 1/48 and 1/32.
I have about 24 other PTO aircraft Allied and Japanese in 1/48 built prior to my 'conversion'.
My 1/48 stash includes more PV-1s, Kittyhawks & Corsairs, 1 x C-47 and another Catalina. I am also developing interests in RNZAF ETO, WW2 Home Based (eg Anson in stash) and Inter-War aircraft.
I'd also like to build most of these aircraft available in 1/32 scale!
Should keep me going for quite a while .... and the door is always open to other possibilities too ...
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #33

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
A base for Harvard.
I'd like feedback on this if anyone has an opinion. I have little experience of display bases.
Bought me some picture frames on TradeMe with the idea of using them as diorama bases -

But is this frame too small for Harvard?
The white (styrofoam) area will be probably be raised slightly more and depicted as tarmac. Still the wings hang out the sides over the frame a bit don't they. Is the frame too dominant? What do yous think?
Even if I complete the base I may not permanently attach it.
Cheers
Wally.
Attachments:

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #34

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
  • Thank you received: 517
Looks great...in my opinion the model should take center stage and the base second...like the tarmac idea, Ohakea's ramp?
The Harvard looks stunning by the way...must get me one to do the checkerboard clan

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #35

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
Harvard looks good. I think the base is too small, you want the model to not hang over the edge anywhere. I think if the model takes up half to 2/3's the space is about right. Still, that's just what I think, you are free to use it if you want.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #36

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
  • Thank you received: 591
I think the base is a perfect size Wally :)

It doesn't appear to hang over the edges that much, plus it eliminates the dreaded "dead space" on a base

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #37

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
To be perfectly clear the aircraft does not hang over the outer edges of the frame but the wings do hang over the frame itself past the outer edges of the inner 'tarmac' area. How's that for clear (as mud)?

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #38

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
  • Thank you received: 428
Perfectly clear Wally! Andrew did bring up a valid point about the 'dead space'. If you were going to add figures and a service cart or vehicle then yeah it would need to be bigger.
The second pic you posted, it appears to hang over more than it does compared to the first one.
As I said though, that's just my opinion and in all fairness you did ask for opinions!
But at the end of the day, if you are happy with it, then noone else can say boo about it.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #39

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
Thanks Gaz. I did want opinions, especially whether people thought the whole entire aircraft should be contained within the inner edges of the frame, which would require a larger frame and tarmac area. Having looked at it now for a few days I agree with what you and others say, which I think is, "not necessarily, but it should be within the outer edges of the frame" - which it is. Consequently I'll have a go at making a piece of tarmac to go in that frame.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 10 months ago #40

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 239
I would rotate the nose counter clockwise a further 45-60 degrees so that the fuselage ran more diagonally the length of the frame, rather than the width. The composition would ideally be amount of space between the gear and the frame edges, as they are reference on the tarmac. Would not matter if the wings over hung the edges more.

On The Bench
Tamiya 1/72 F-16C Barak conversion - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/72 F-16 ADF - Modern Combat GB
Hasegawa 1/48 F8U-2N (F-8D) Crusader conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D Mustang
Hasegawa 1/72 P-51D Mustang

Wally's 5th Entry - RNZAF Harvard NZ1041, No.4 OTU at Ohakea 5 years 9 months ago #41

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
I did kind of finish the base for Harvard NZ1041 although without much exactitude or reference to anything. I don't know what the tarmac at Ohakea is like. I did it in relatively small slabs. This and the Walrus base turned into experiments using picture frames to begin with and that part at least was fairly successful. They are a good and relatively cheap "foundation" for a diorama or base.
So I wouldn't really want these to be my final five pictures but I did take five that include the base -

The first two pictures are compositional experiments, the first as Craig suggested and the second as per my natural inclination. Being in a hurry (as always) I then left the aircraft as per pic 2 but I actually think Craig is correct regards composition. This defies what I took to be an "unwritten rule" about dios and bases not to have anything hanging out over the edges ...?
I'm not gonna hunt through all my pics of Harvard and find my best five.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
  • Page:
Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee