January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
I'm pitching in with the cubists nightmare, as kitted by Hasegawa with some Eduard PE thrown in, along with some Airfix decals to back date this to Iraqi Revenue Service 1991 .... What could possibly go wrong?! I note there appears to be more parts in the little Eduard bag than in the kit I've also designed a wee base for it to sit on that will form a revetment that I might get 3D printed.
Won't be painting anything today... turned the hygrometer on to check humidity, and it just said you're f@#k$% kidding right?!!?
Momentous update... well not really. I finished drilling out the vents on the upper and lower fuselage halves to accept the Eduard pe parts. I scribed the lines deeper to the vents prior to drilling them out and filing the openings to shape. The perimeter inside of the scribed lines were then rebated out with a chisel and scalpel blade tip. Next up; the pit and probably cut the flaps out to give it a bit more life.
Thanks for all the positive feedback chaps and chapess.
I managed to escape the iron vice like grip of paid work for part of the weekend to kick back and enjoy some hobby time. So the plan was to do lots, starting with liberating the flaps from the wings so I can pose them dropped and cut the tail sections away to pivot them..., but I had no inkling the "Zigzag Razorsaw Fairy" was going make me take the long way home. Those tail fins were a nightmare! Hours and hours and hours later I finally got all the damn things off
I've added some new flap forward edges and in the cold sweat tormented end I'm quite happy with my endeavours. Did I learn anything? Yes indeed, I now know why people sell aftermarket dropped flaps
Amazing detail you are putting in...especially for 1/72, awesome
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
I managed to escape to the cave last night (yay!) and it was pretty wild and wooly outside. (woke up this morning to a yard full of shredded foliage and a snapped table umbrella pole from the glass table trying to get airborne and snapping the pole clean at the base!) Anyway I sanded my first filler pass in preparation for the second filler pass. I was under the impression that Hasegawa kits to build are shake'n'bake but this needs more body filler than a HQ Holden. I suppose I could leave all the fictitious panel lines to the wing roots and wing leading edges as they were, but nah. Can't leave well enough alone some days.
Now my Hampden is done and dusted I'm back on the origami nightmare. Not long to this GB finishes and I've not started my base yet
What have I learned so far? Well, painting black is an art form in itself. The real aircraft has a skin of iron ball paint which needs to be maintained well to function properly, so DS aircraft were reasonably clean. I've studied a variety of period shots and opted for this sort of look...
So first up I sprayed the aircraft matt black, masked it off and pre shaded some panels with an assortment of greys. Engine intakes were given a coat of clear orange to give them a slightly burnt tarnished look.
Then I sprayed a light thin coat of Mr Color tyre black over the entire thing to unify it, and then post shaded in slightly lightened tyre black the areas of frames. The aircraft does display noticeable tin canning from some angles, so this was part of the aim.
Finally a gloss coat added and decals on. This last shot gives a better feel for the darkness of the model. Previous photos are a bit over exposed.
Top work Terry! I think you've nailed the slightly mottled black finish that they have where you can tell it has faded a bit but is still black, plus it has broken it up nicely so it's not just a gloss black airframe. Good stuff!
Hopefully I can get a similar finish when I do my 1/32 one.
In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!
People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....