Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

Operation Desert Storm 25th Anniversary

January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

TOPIC: ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 10 months ago #1

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Marcus.Q1000859's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 49

Tamiya kit, Afterburner decal, with a little aftermarked to help it backdate to an -A.
Will load it as per the first day of ODS with PGU-5/A 30mm gun pod on centerline, wing tanks, wingtip rail AIM-9s and mix'n'match ECM and mk.84 on stations 3 & 7.

The 30mm bucked and shook so much it was like using a cluster bomb you had to carry home, so, after one day they reverted to the ECM on station five and used iron of choice from the wing stations.

As it was a such a spectacular failure and Hasegawa gives you two in the weapons set, on it goes.

marcus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 8 months ago #2

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Grabbed out my box of bits,

Attachments:

I started building models, then I was collecting more than I built. Now I'm more of an archivist.
Last Edit: by Marcus.Q1000859.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 8 months ago #3

• RED
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
can't wait to see you start this one mate

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 8 months ago #4

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
  • Thank you received: 1197
Cool Marcus. Will be watching

Kane
On the Bench - Zvezda Star Destroyer

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #5

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1165
That looks like it's going to be an awesome build, with some really nice details. Will be watching

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #6

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
Very cool. The F-16 is one of my top 3 favourite aircraft of all time.
I've liked it ever since I saw Iron Eagle. Lol, now that's embarrassing! :blush:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #7

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers guys, good to have you onboard

Von D, Doug Masters certainly knew the Viper, firing the Maverick while on the ground, who knew?

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #8

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
So the observant amongst you will by now have noted I want to build an F-16A from an F-16C kit.

There are a few things to do to get it back to an –A, what I will do is not an exhaustive conversion but it will get me pretty close without mincing a nice Tamiya kit.
The kit itself is very nice but not perfect,

1, No fuel dumps under wings – will refer the ‘Viper Guides’ maybe add a little detail.

2, There is also the access hatch on the right side of the cockpit that needs filling, not sure how Tamiya got it on the single seater as it is only on the family models for accessing some IFF gear, single seaters mount that gear elsewhere and the hydrozene generator is in that area.

Backdating,

1, Just aft of the mystery hatch is a mounting hole for a louvre, many –C models carry the louvre but it was for a mod that never eventuated. –A models never had it so it will need filling.

2, Gun muzzle cover, a fiddley little job to fill the slots and rescribe the eight slots of the early version

3, Cockpit IP, -A mount a lot more steam gauges and only a single screen, will replace the Tamiya plastic IP with the Eduard Zoom PE for a Hase –A.

4, Centre pylon, originally the -A & -B had a much smaller pylon. Pinch from a Hase F-16 box. I think aircraft still flying today have been MLU’d and carry the later pylon common to the –C, D, E, F & I

5, Chaff/flare, early blocks carried only one dispenser per side forward of the airbrakes. The –C has an extra pair underside behind the port wing. Blanking plates are provided so I will fit those then fill and sand the panel join way.

6, Rudder base. –A fin base that is a lot slimmer than the –C, I have a PWMP resin item or I could steal a Hasegawa one TBD.

7, Fin top, profile is slimmer on the –A, either reprofile or go with the Hase part

8, Rear decking, the slimmer rudder base will show the difference in the panel lines around it, check refs, fill and rescribe as appropriate.

9, Elevators. Designed as a light weight fighter to tote a couple of missiles and a gun, the F-16 is very nimble with sufficient excess thrust. As usually happens, mission creep meant that the little jet was soon being burdened with thousands of pounds of extra gear. What was then wanted was extra elevator authority, so they were given a bit of extra area. Conveniently for the modeller it is all behind the original trailing edge and in line with the airbrake trailing edge. Mark the line, cut, restore a fine trailing edge. Will prob cut down the ones from that Hase F-16 box that is getting lighter all the time. Gifting the Tamiya ones to a future Hase build. Static discharger wicks from stretched sprue. Master Model have some on the books although I am not convinced the model to carpet ratio would be very good.

10, Seat, kit or Legend. The QB has the folding pitot arms so is too modern for this build.

11, Wheels, Royal resin items of the early block wheels on the light weight gear that comes in the box

12, intake chin antenna, scratch

Anything else?

Other than that I have a couple of upgrade items I will fit and the gun ecm pods from Hase weapon sets.

Does anyone have a 1/48 Mk. 84 2000lb bomb I could buy or swap for? That is the one thing I do not have sorted just yet.

Other than that I will close up my MiG fuselage halves and get a wriggle on with this.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #9

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 225
A diverse bunch of mods to happen here; I'll be watching with keen interest...

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #10

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
Swing by some time Marcus - I have a Hasegawa Weapons set that I think still has the Mk.84s in it.

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A JAWS conversion

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #11

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
What I have learned.

There was a little centre pylon for station 5 on the F-16A/B but it was only used for the ALQ-131 due to ground clearance requirements. Aircraft with the heavy weight gear do not need it but could use it as the HWG provides extra clearance.

As demonstrated by this early jet (black radome) the standard CL pylon has been used all along.

These are not the pylons I am looking for. The one in question is indeed the squidly little one provided in the Hasegawa kit and is only used with the Pave Claw pod. You can see it (just) in the below photo of the F-16 in the elevated rig. Gear retraction functional clearance tests?

Thanks to Craig I now have Mk.84 and he helped out with the above info, cheers man.
Next up some modelling
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #12

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 194
looking forward to this build, hey if your not using the Thunderbirds decals do you fancy flicking them my way??? will pay postage.

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #13

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi. You are welcome to them. I will give them a once over to see if there are any stencils or minor markings I want to hold back but all the Thunderbirds stuff I will post to you.
PM your address, mate.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #14

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Joined the top halves and filled in some panel lines not needed for this version. The twin antenna under the nose have been removed. Lower VHF aerial detail smoothed off, the aerial will be relocated to under the air intake.

ECS exhaust is low profile on the -A so cut off the piece and will trim it right down before refitting flush.

Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #15

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Finished the ECS exhaust. Close enough, I got it to look how I wanted although as I compare it to pictures there is definitely room to improve the shape for next time.

I have also been working on the tail base and rudder, fitted now and needs some more primer. The white bulges at the wing roots also need to go. They began to be used sometime after the block 25. Next time I will use plasty card fit and fare that then mount the tail base. Doing it all in one step is too much. For this bird I have had enough and there is still too much plastic in the box to get bogged down at this point.

The cockpit has also been getting some attention.

Next up is to trial fit the seat and get the main gear well components fitted to the intake duct
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 7 months ago #16

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking good man, keep going :)

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 6 months ago #17

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Drilled out the panel recesses, if the trial fit doesn't go well I will be able to poke them back out. If they fit I can drop some glue in from behind.

Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 6 months ago #18

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1694
I think this is going to be very good. The list reminds me of the lists one does up for an Heng Long makeover. Watching closely.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 6 months ago #19

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Like a glove.
The white spots on the wing roots used to be bulges that are not used on the earlier Vipers.

Prepping the intake also, wells are painted. Deviated from the instructions as it makes the seems easier to fix. It also needs painting before fitting as the top of the intake is close under the fuselage and inaccessible to airbrush.

Also, too much white is a pain to photograph
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 6 months ago #20

• IAN
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 439
Good skills here and you seem to know your subject - that's a great combination IMHO.

Ian.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 6 months ago #21

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Really nice Marcus. This will be a great reference when I come to build mine.

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 5 months ago #22

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 5 months ago #23

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The previous assembly and painting did help with getting the dark gray on before it became too difficult. After painting the whole intake assembly just snapped into position and a few drops of CA anchored it. You can see the relocated UHF antenna and behind it the RWR antenna both offset to the left. The RWR antenna is just a lump of sprue filed to shape. My least favorite thing about the intake is the lip. Really it needs sanding back smooth and repainting but not this time. Onward and upward. Glad to have a piece done, feels like progress.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 5 months ago #24

• Xtr3meNZer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Progress is good man! Good stuff

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 5 months ago #25

• Bishop
  • Thank you received: 1694
Oh this is just sensational.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 5 months ago #26

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 257
Very nice modelling and a great trick with regards to drilling holes in those panels so you can adjust the inserts if necessary. Have used that trick a couple of times.

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 4 months ago #27

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Halves joined, used Tamiya extra thin. Section by section until it was all glued, no problems there.

Have prepped the wing undersurface inserts, drilled the location holes for the pylons, they are there, just flashed over.

I had shot some black around the cockpit opening prior to joining. It is already starting to get knocked around so a touch up will be required later but at least that internal face is done.

Will continue with small part additions to the airframe.
Attachments:

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 4 months ago #28

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good to see this still progressing Marcus. What scale is the kit?

Kane

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 4 months ago #29

• Marcus.Q1000859
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It is the 1/48 Tamiya, this is the Thunderbirds boxing but they are all pretty similar, version specific boxes. It's great, I will build another.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

ODS: F-16A, The Boys from Syracuse 3 years 4 months ago #30

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Cheers. Ive got the 1/48 CJ with a resin seat and am keen to build it at some stage this year.

Kane
Moderators: Andrew