January 17th 2016 will mark 25 years since the US-led Coalition began airstrikes in a prelude to boots on the ground to force the withdrawal of Saddam Hussein’s Iraqi forces from Kuwait. To mark the 25th Anniversary, we will be commencing a Kiwimodeller Group Build, beginning January 17th 2016, and finishing on the 15th of July 2016.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in Operation Desert Storm. This includes Iraqi forces. The model must be built in its entirety within the specified build dates and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post shots of your sprues at the beginning of your thread.
By the end of the GB (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the GB completed builds thread. There is no entry fee for the GB, but a donation for the upkeep of Kiwimodeller is welcome The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote.
Voting will run for the week following the 15th of July, ending Midday the 22nd of July. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
I filled and sanded the gaps on the cockpit and then primed it. Then I made a start on the refueling probe. This was made from laminating some styrene sheet, and then shaping it with a file and sanding sponge. It's still not quite there in terms of shape as you can probably see, so I'll do a bit more shaping work before adding the remaining pieces. Fun fun.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Operation Desert Storm: 1/32 Tornado Snoopy Airways
3 years 8 months ago #68
Thanks all. This kit has been a real work out and a time sink. I detailed it a little more, adding the sight on the nose. I also bought some Tamiya fine polishing compound and buffed the canopy parts to remove the scratches. This stuff is magic. Finally, I added the undercarriage. These are a very vague approximation of the real thing. Just a little more detailing to go and then I get to have a bit of fun with the painting.
There are actually two complete sets of decals on the sheet I bought. I may have to squirrel away a new mold Revell 1/32 Tornado so I can revisit this subject.
A couple more hours and a couple glasses o' wine. All the detail is on (well at least as much detail as I'm willing to throw at this turd). Primer coat is a 50/50 mix of Vellejo pale flesh and sand.
This has still been a fun build. The biggest upside has been the discovery of the combination of Vallejo Model Air and my new Paasche airbrush. It sprays like a dream. I think I'm going to switch to Vellejo Model Air acrylics. It's going to burn my compressor out though.
So guys Grant has done some amazing work on this.
But I have to say he really understated how much of a gap there was to fill in the cockpit. I've started playing dry fit with my tornado essentially the same kit And the infamous aires pit
You fitted that into this. You sir are a legend. This is surgery!!