× The subject of this group build is the diorama, broadly defined. It is open to any scale, genre, medium, or subject matter: sci-fi, military, non-military, aircraft, ships, tanks, animals, historic scenes... whatever takes your fancy!

Black Buck Refueling Diorama

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Flying_Kiwi
  • Flying_Kiwi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #1 by Flying_Kiwi
Black Buck Refueling Diorama was created by Flying_Kiwi
I thought I'd chuck my hat into the ring here and go in with what seems to be popular choice. The mid Atlantic refuelling of Black Buck Vulcan XH607.

if anybody else wants to do this you are more than welcome!! I won't get precious.

So my Dio will involve:

This (ooooh new tool ....fell the badge ken)

And this (old tool...order more putty)

roughly put together in a sketch by a 4 year old...

The idea is to suspend the two aircraft on magic poles (clear poly rod) in a clean configuration with the Victor trailing the drogue and 607 just about to connect, all above a pink turbulent sunset sky... (a photo/picture or possibly some 3d clouds??)

something close to this...

So that's the idea. when the victor arrives on the door step i'll start.

FK

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #2 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
Or if you are feeling REALLY adventurous, the tanker on the clear rod, and the Vulcan suspended via the drogue and refueling probe (I've seen it done with a B-52 and KC-10 in 1/72!!)

On The Bench
Eduard/Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator GR.V
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Eduard 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt

More
3 years 9 months ago #3 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
Awesome. I was tempted by this idea but it will be cool to see you do it. :cheer:

More
3 years 9 months ago #4 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
I saw the 1-72 KC-10 refueling combination at Columbus, OH (US Nats) last year when I was there. It certainly attracted a lot of attention from show-goers. I've seen a few Victor / Vulcan refueling combos in 1-144 in my travels too but not one done in 1-72 so I'm looking forward to following the progress on this one.

Apart from the refueling equipment on the Victor K.2 I'm not sure what other modifications were made to the B.2 airframe to get it to K.2 configeration. I have that information somewhere in my references as I planned to make the Matchbox K.2 at some point previously but the release of the Airfix B.2 has had me wondering on what I would have to do to modify the B.2 to a K.2.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
3 years 9 months ago #5 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
The K2's wingspan was shorter. I believe they shortened the wingspan to try and reduce airframe stress on the K2.

I believe the Matchbox kit is 'more correct' for a K2.

BM will be full of info and opinions.

HTH

John

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #6 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
Johnsnz is right the wingspan was 3.2ft smaller (18 inches on either side) to lessen the stress to the wing box which was already showing signs of trouble (lots of low altitude flying)

The other big-ish mod is the Bluesteel bay, that has to go and the heat exchanger box .... i'm kind of hoping the B2 has the conventional bay as an option but it looks like both variants have the Bluesteel missle. so probably have to rebuild the bay and doors.

other than that the K2 was not to much differnet, the B1 for instance needs major work as the intakes and wings were quite different.

Th Victor doesn't bother me so much.... i've heard horror stories about the Vulcan...

Does anybody remember Mike from MCH ?? about 4 years ago i brought the Airfix Vulcan up to the counter, and he just looked at me and said...."No" then calmly took the box and walked back over to the shelf and put it back!!
He explained after building the XB-70 the Vulcan would push me over the edge... :woohoo: apparently the wings are just awful and much boiling of the kettle is needed to make them straight.... we will see!

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #7 by Flying_Kiwi

Craig Sargent wrote: Or if you are feeling REALLY adventurous, the tanker on the clear rod, and the Vulcan suspended via the drogue and refueling probe (I've seen it done with a B-52 and KC-10 in 1/72!!)

i have both the B:52 and KC-10 in 1:72 and they are HEAVY!! man that would need to be a steel rod or something for it not to sag over time... it would also need to be thin enough to fit down the boom of the vulcan,... not sure it can be done??? I could see how you'd do the KC-10 to the B-52 you could run it the length of the fuse to on both models balance it.

More
3 years 9 months ago #8 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
Nice FK.
Looking forward to watching this progress
I'm mid way through a spitfire and 109 dogfight dio with my daughter, she will be keen to check this build out also :woohoo:

More
3 years 9 months ago #9 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Black Buck Refueling Diorama
I wonder whether it might be less of a pain to use the Matchbox Victor for this and save the Airfix. The Matchbox isn't too much of a pain to build, and the level of detail will match the Vulcan given that they are of basically the same vintage.

• Flying_Kiwi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 9 months ago #10 by Flying_Kiwi
good shot of the differences in aerials for the K2 (this one was the first refuel Victor in 'black buck')

Incidentally if you want to shorten the wings for K2 its 13mm i.e 6.5 mm on each wing..... worth it???

Attachments: