Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • jimmy07
  • jimmy07's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 10 months ago #1 by jimmy07
Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon was created by jimmy07
I've found this old gem amongst the stash, the old monogram kit made in 1969, and I know that because this date has been moulded in raised detail on the OUTSIDE of the flaps, haha. She's a typical old school kit- raised panel lines, modest cockpit, simple weapons etc. Though. I have to say, this kit must've been top of the line when it first hit the shelves. Built OOB would still come out looking pretty good I reckon. But I am still going to do a few tweaks here and there.

I plan on building a new cockpit, chopping away the control surfaces and flaps to give her some added appeal. Given it's a year long build I should have plenty of time (famous last words! :P )

The biggest question mark stands over the kit decals, which I will be doing TP-F from 198 squadron, RAF, Battle of the Falaise gap, August 1944. After a bit of research I found Monogram may have their numbers muddled as the a/c serial number for TP-F was different as were the colours of the "TP F". I'm not really one who cares about that kind of stuff, and couldn't justify buying correctly coloured decals for this. But if I am breaking the rules I might have to bite the bullet.

More to come as and when.

Jim :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Nice choice there B)

I remember building several Airfix 1/72 Typhoons way back in the day, and used to kitbash underwing rockets from the Airfix Beaufighter onto the Typhoon lol

Still one of my favourite aircraft from WWII B)

Would love to see someone make a nice 1/32 kit

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Airfix are releasing it in 1/24 sometime in the near future. A bit bigger than 1/32 but a lot more impressive I would think. Iy looks very nice too.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
6 years 9 months ago #4 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
I built a 1/32 scale kit for my dad about ten years ago,cool plane bit was a bad design,they designed the aircraft around the huge engine,dont have any photos of it and lost the decals,would love to do another some day,the 1/24 scale kits would be a super build project.

More
6 years 9 months ago #5 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Good one Jim. I look forward to your build.
I rather like making a go of old classic kits myself so I'm keen to see yours.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #6 by jimmy07
Replied by jimmy07 on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Cheers guys :)

I've given the kit a quick 'once over' to see where I can try (I should emphasize the TRY part) make this older kit look pizzazier, if that's even a word. The cockpit, the ginormous air intake, raised panel lines, wheel wells, control surfaces and exhausts are the bigger ones. I'm not going to bother with the wheel wells, too much work for something I'm never going to look at :) I will have a stab at scratch building a new cockpit, should be a tun of fun and Frustration! I've made a start at removing the control surfaces and will start fixing them up next me reckons.

I love they've printed the date of manufacture on the outside of the flaps. I'm almost tempted to keep it on there. But I wont. :(

The exhausts and that mighty intake are/were the biggest worry I had. So last week I ordered a set from barracuda which coincidentally sell them both in the one set, perfect! And I have to say, of all the smaller aftermarket companies out there- this one has been the best as far as quality of product and speed of delivery. Here in 7days from the states and quality equal to that of Aires and Eduard Brassin. Either that or I've just had very bad luck with what I've been ordering (esspecially the set of RNZAF upgrades- A-4Kahu, macchi, airtrainer, terrible :( ) see for yourselves.

You can see it will make a world of difference to the original. Which looks like it has the exhaust fairings on- which was also included in the Barracuda set. Love it! I won't be using them though, I like the look of the exhausts by themselves. So yeah I've got plenty here to keep me busy and it's all new to me, particularly the scratch building. Oh and rescribing the whole thing with some added help from Rosie the riveter.

Cheers,

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #7 by CyNaKyL
Looking good so far Jim. I must say, I have never heard a single bad thing about resin from Roy, Barracuda stuff seems to be the bees knees. Only thing I have of theirs is the cockpit placards I got from G1 for my tamiya 1/32 'stang and even though some of them are tiny, they are still readable. Those intakes and exhausts look fantastic and should come out great with some care and attention. Watching this one with interest.

- Gaz

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
6 years 9 months ago #8 by Wally
Looks like fun Jim.
Regards re-scribing - which I am still doing mostly over recessed lines or occasionally using a plastic ruler - I heard the guys on here mention using Dyna label tape as a guide ...?
G1 I believe is an expert as I saw a very nice B-24 Liberator at Cambridge with recessed panel lines that could only have been re-scribed and can only have been his, I suspect.
I have an old Monogram Hurricane coming up for which I am going to scratch build a cockpit and which I am tempted to re-scribe, so I am watching your Typhoon build with keen interest.
I will really appreciate detailed re-scribing descriptions and pictures if you can manage it.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
6 years 9 months ago #9 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Guilty as charged, that was a depiction of my grandfathers Liberator and yes I rescribed the whole thing. I also rescribed the upper surfaces of the B-29 I did but didn't take to Cambridge. It's quite easy if you use the old fashioned style Dymo tape that you can pick up from the $2 shops as a scribing guide.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 9 months ago #10 by jimmy07
Yes we must've read the same topic, I went and ordered some dymo tape a while ago B) and will have to have a hunt around the local $2 shop! Be more than happy to show as I go, but be prepared as this could well turn into a "how not to do it" build ;)

More
6 years 9 months ago #11 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
How long did the rescribing of the liberator take? i'm still a novice at this and tend to dig to deep at the start....

any rescribing tips would be appreciated

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

More
6 years 9 months ago #12 by Gary
Probably 3 - 4 hours solid work

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #13 by CyNaKyL
The consensus from all the threads I've read on rescribing seems to be that for the first couple of passes, you let the weight of the scriber do the work so you only take a small amount off each pass, this way it cuts the plastic rather than digging at it. I've done a little rescribing for lost detail but always seem to end up with extra panel lines I don't need. :blush:

- Gaz

More
6 years 9 months ago #14 by Gary
There are a number of rescribing tools on the market I have 4 different ones, in order of preference
Hasegawa Modelling Scriber
RB Productions Scriber
Hasegawa Line Engraver (Fine)
Tamiya Sribing tool

I've just rescribed and riveted the top of my C-47 after having had to do some filling and filing of a large flat spot caused by warped fuselage halves, I'll post some photos later.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
6 years 9 months ago #15 by CyNaKyL
Is the preference worst to best or best to worst?

More
6 years 9 months ago #16 by Gary
Best at the top mate

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #17 by jimmy07
Howdy all. Hope you all hada tip top Xmas and New years!

I've had a hack at this dear ole kit and done some rescribing and riveting. I'm not a rivet counter or anything like that, but prefer to go for "look and effect" This is what I got up to...

This is the "before"pic

I sanded off all raised details; panel lines, a few rivet lines and fuel caps. As it was the detail wasn't that bad. hopefully it will look better though..

I rescribed the panel lines using the UMM-USA scribing tool (hopefully got the right letters in there??) and RB Productions Scribe-R. Using some Dymo tape as a guide I made several light passes with the UMM scriber until the groove looked deep enough. The Scribe-R has a sharper point and I used this if I was having trouble following the Dymo tape. Any mistakes made, with the scriber wandering off track, was easily sanded away with 1200grit. That's where making sure you make light passes can save your work!

For circles and other funny shapes I had some templates I bought a while ago from flea-bay and taped them where required. I had one picture I found on Google used as a rough guide, but mostly I followed the old lines, and used my artistic licence everywhere else :). Using some old paint brushes I removed the brushes then drilled and rammed a needle in it's place. I then had the perfect el-cheapo tool for scribing shapes like the fuel cap circles. I went even slower with a lot lighter passes on this one. Very happy with the result!

And this was the final result from scribing :)... Then I hada go with riveting using a cheap set of riveting tools bought from flea bay, can't remember who or what brand but it came with 3 rivet wheels, one for each 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32. When I practiced on the underside I found it easier to run it free-hand. Using a ruler or guide seemed to muck me up, strangely enough. I still got it wonky in spots, and this is kinda a one time deal- you gotta put pressure on and do it in one pass. Two passes open the chance of not following your previous tracks. I used my artistic licence again and put rivets where I thought there would be rivets and tried to vary it all along..

And that's that. I'm quite happy how it turned out. Looking at the comparison shots next to the "old wing" I think I've achieved my goal of making the parts look better and hopefully will add some pizazz to the final look. Being a first time it did take a while, but I strictly followed the "measure twice, cut once" rule. I'm sure the rest will get quicker as I go along and become less nervous :)

Next up is the rest of the plane to scribe and rivet, then onto the cockpit.

Whaddya reckon so far???

More
6 years 8 months ago #18 by Baldy
Replied by Baldy on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
nice work , light passes with the rivet tool ?

More
6 years 8 months ago #19 by Gary
You can't really do multiple passes with the rivet tool as it's really hard to get the holes lined up, I just do a one pass with medium pressure, practice on some scrap plasticard or the inside of the fuselage.

• jimmy07
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 8 months ago #20 by jimmy07
Hey baldy,

What Gary said :) and he would know! I spent a while practicing on the underside of the wing to see what pressure worked best on that plastic. Once you have the right pressure it's just a case of steady hands...which I haven't got.

More
6 years 8 months ago #21 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Nice work on that scribing, look forward to seeing more pics. I am a bit afraid of scribing my models :(

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
6 years 8 months ago #22 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Jimmy's 1/48 Typhoon
Great work so far. I hate scribing so its very helpful to see how you are going. I love to see these old models brought up to scratch. Watching closely.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 8 months ago #23 by Wally
I'd be happy too mate. Looks really good. Those scribing shapes and rivet tool look real useful.

I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee