Thanks Gary, that's very encouraging,..and much appreciated. i can always see the 1000 mistakes but over all its looking ok
Day 3 of decal-ing tonight probably only 75% done... possibly 8-9 hours of decal-ing alone on this! The tail decals drove me nuts so fine and easy to get twisted horrible to line up with the rudder hinges... whine whine whine....
"4 Burning 6 Turning" B-36 got finished today as work was closed.
I hope everyone's collections survived, heard a guy in the South Island who'd had major damage to his model collection.... the radio announcer was not concerned, slightly amused. I felt for the guy. My parent lost a wall in Blenheim, dads got the tarp out to keep it dry tonight.
Anyway my collection survived, encased in perspex or tied to the wall with wire, which was where the B-36 was prior to finishing. bloody lucky.
I have one or two more things to complete but this is largely done (the last bit - tail gun was painted but has gone missing)
So first one off the line at the Skink Works, work continues on the TU-160 and the B-52 starts tomorrow.
I had this kit, but sold it off a few years back when i had a clear out. Always wanted to build it but it looked too big and imposing and looking at yours i think i made a the right call there's no way i'd have been able to put it anywhere.
@ Grant, its a way of displaying models that goes back to when i was a kid, because i own the walls and i'm allowed to
I used pair of ramset cavity anchors (you get em everywhere) the cavity anchor has two spring loaded prongs attached a hook with a big washer to cover up the sizable hole (10mm). You push the anchor through it deploys and you tighten it up to the washer, each hook can apparently hold 10kg ! I hold the model on with a set of loops i make from fuse wire. bullet proof so far....
When i was a kid my dad screwed two massive white backing boards up in my room and a screwed little hooks into this so i could display all my 1:72 models... saved hanging all of them from the ceiling!!! i tied them on in the same way as they would "jump off'" when my sister got in a huff and slammed her door.
@Yak your not wrong the wing span is i think 96cm! those are 1:48 and 1:32 models next to it!!
Ok so B-36 done, time to start on "Balls Eight" the B-52 launch platform for Nasa and the lowest hours B-52 anywhere in the world. This subject also comes with the awesome X-15!!!!! i will be building "Balls Eight" kin the lat 70's day-glo orange scheme.
So i'm not doing much with the cockpit as you can see almost nothing but i will paint the pilots nicely..... i have has to add several bulk heads to the model and its a giant tube other wise. The model does come with some nice cockpit decals.... which you can't see at all!
As on the box the kit comes with the X-15 which even in 1:72 is a decent size. I also have the monogram X-15, since its the same make i thought i build both side by side - they are EXACTLY the same molds- just different colour styrene. One will hang under the wing of the B-52 the other will go on the stand on the shelf.
Its a very basic model with a nice detailed cockpit TOTALLY wasted as you cannot see a thing if its shut...there is only one tiny tear drop window.
So got quite a bit done on this quickly as i'm locked out of my work place and my öffice"is also the modeling den..... also the build id pretty simple the gear was simple and the fuselage shut up quickly. I know there are some wing droop issues with this kit so i have decided to run a brass rod through the fuse and wings.
After making a bit of "mating" mistake with the B-36 wings leaving a gap i decided to take a tip from a build blog and attach the top for the wing first, this worked REALLY WELL!
When that had set, i attached the bottom of the wing, almost no gaps to fill!!!!! She's a beast!!!
Cool work on the Buff FK. I was watching a review of the Eduard Bell X1 and thought of this thread, thinking it would be great to pair up an x-plane with one of your Skink Works projects, and waalaa you're already doing it. Awesome!
went down to sort out the engines and its one of those modelling days. Can't find the second half of one pylon. And the as I was making sure the pylons I did have were straight I notice I have developed a warped wing. Not sure what to do about it. I have put it I traction
Even tho I'm talking to meeself here, I managed to cast a clear resin part out of a mold I made from modelling clay from the other half of the pylon (still can't find the missing piece which is frustrating as I KNOW I had it and it will be numbered in sharpie)
My GF, whose resin it is, laughed massively as its: the wrong type of resign to do this with (she has others had I'd bothered to ask), it should have melted through the mold as it did the mixing cup, and it actually set with the amount of "fixer" I put in. so did everything wrong and it still worked - RESULT!