This is a Group build to remember the sacrifices of Bomber Command and other air forces of the world during WWII
Bomber Command was founded in 1936, 4 years later on the night of May 11/12 1940, Bomber Command made it's first night time Raid. The build will run from 11th May 2016 until April 21st 2017 which date coincides with the last raid on Berlin.
See the "Rules" topic for more details.
There's rather a lot of things I'm going to be cramming in to this build, hope I can pull it off without losing the plot.
Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster BI/III
Eduard Big Ed set
Belcher Bits replacement engines
Belcher Bits replacement main wheels
Kits'World Phantom over the Rhur Decal set.
Master Models replacement barrels.
on the Lanc because of the hydraulics pump i think engine 3 is started first followed by 4 then 2 and then lastly 1
hope that helps! the process is not totally unlike starting a tommy!!! i usually start using engine 1 and then stop,...because i only have one
pitch set to fine
move throttle lever 1/2 inch forward (in this case number 3)
Select startup fuel tank
set fuel pumps on
and then set magnetos to Start (on for a lanc) i can find no evidence of mag drop tests on the lanc, this could take some time on 4 engines
then just for the lanc hit the engine start button,...on a tommy the engine should now be running
I had a look at the kit engines and the PE that comes with the Big Ed set and to be honest it actually looks more convincing/detailed than the resin ones. I might save the resin ones for one of the other Lancs I got. I'll build up the kit ones and add the PE to see how they compare to the real things, I've got scale drawings. The kit even comes with Merlin engines and the bearers so you could do it with the covers off, but again I might put those in to one of the other Lancs and have it as a maintenance display.
Nah this one is the one before the one with the prepainted canopies, but still after the black molded plastic ones, I have I have a black plastic BI/III and a black plastic Dambusters one to build still in the stash.
Ah, thanks for that. I've just put the upgraded one on lay by so in a few months I'll be able to dream about not stuffing it up when I grow up. Heehee. I might try the Airfix one before I unleash the skills. Just chuffed to have been able to get one of those I always wanted when I was a kid. Hey, did this have hard edged camouflage or soft edge? I will have to really improve with the airbrush if it is hard edged. Oh for the days when I was happy with the brush.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster, Phantom of the Rhur
2 years 5 months ago #24
Still on the tarmac with this one (actually it's not even in the hanger lol) I'm tempted to knock out a Wimpy instead.
I've got 2 weeks off so might have a dabble during the week to see how long it'll take.
I decided to crack on with the bomb bay, it was a bit daunting, I generally don't get on with Eduard sets, I find the metal to unforgiving but I soldiered on.
First up, metal work is in and the bomb bay is ready for some paint.
Here's what is left to go in to the aircraft, its scaring me lol
Press on regardless, the bomb bay with some paint.
First of the bombs are loaded up, this is the 400Ib Cookie, a gift to Adolf.
It's only 18, it's only 18, if I keep telling myself this I may not go mad or smash things up............. lol
Luckily I have a spare sprue of these bombs so if it starts to drive me nuts I can go back to OTB.
Anyway here's the next phase of the bomb bay, it's pretty time consuming. First up you have to cut off the old fins, then you have to attach new fins, roll a piece of PE in to a nice circle and attach it. Seeing as most of this won't ever get seen I'm not sure why I'm doing this but meh.
Here they are in the steps needed, they do look nicer but not convinced it's needed. I might make up the other ones and do a comparison.
All this and less than 6 weeks to get it done!!!!