Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Craig Sargent
  • Craig Sargent's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1 by Craig Sargent
Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier was created by Craig Sargent
Couple of questions/clarifications on the rules.

One says build OOB, but another says scratchbuilding allowed?

Does correction of a kit such as increasing wingspan/reducing chord, replacing parts with scratchbuilt items count?

I have the old Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier from 1965 I have been thinking about correcting and detailing for some time, but as there is no aftermarket, would be all scratch and correction is extensive (kit is 95mm long, but needs to be shortened by 15mm to correct, span needs to be increased by 6mm and 2.5mm off the ain wing chord).

On The Bench
Hasegawa 1/48 OA-4M Skyhawk conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M Skyhawk
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by McCoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by Moeggo
Replied by Moeggo on topic Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier
Crap Criag! Are you sick? You going to build a Bi-plane!!

More
8 years 11 months ago #3 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier
Fine by me, I expect I'll be adding some scratch built stuff to mine. Basically this build is about the skill of the modeller and not the size of his/her wallet/purse so no AM addons, but I'll let Urban confirm that. ;)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• McCoy
  • Manager
  • Manager
  • 1:72 is the way to fly...
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by McCoy
Replied by McCoy on topic Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier

Craig Sargent wrote: Couple of questions/clarifications on the rules.

One says build OOB, but another says scratchbuilding allowed?

Does correction of a kit such as increasing wingspan/reducing chord, replacing parts with scratchbuilt items count?

I have the old Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier from 1965 I have been thinking about correcting and detailing for some time, but as there is no aftermarket, would be all scratch and correction is extensive (kit is 95mm long, but needs to be shortened by 15mm to correct, span needs to be increased by 6mm and 2.5mm off the ain wing chord).

That would be a perfect entry for the build.

The guidlines does indeed state that Scratchbuildin' is allowed. Don't get to confused with guideline #8 as it doesn't demand a OOtB build.

8. Please try to build the kit OOtB in order to stay true to the spirit of these old kits

So corrections of a kit is ok as long as you do it without anything other than stuff you can scrounge or with PC as long as you don't use aftermarket stuff. Resin is ok if you scratch the master n' then make a mold of it. So this build is about two things really, skill n' havin' fun with an old kit.

At my chaotic desk:

Airfix: Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72
Heller: FW 190 A-5 1:24
Revell: F-104C Starfighter 1:72
AZ Model: TP-81 Grumman Goose 1:72
Tasca: Sherman Firefly Vc 1:35
DML: Panther D 1:35
Tamiya: Char B1 Bis 1:35
Tamiya: Cromwell Mk.IV 1:35
Tamiya: Sherman M4 Early 1:35

As I build slowly...

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #5 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier
Well given that these

and these

just arrived, looks like once I get back from the Nationals, I am going to have to get back into the little MS N.

On The Bench
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Craig Sargent.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #6 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Revell 1/72 Morane Saulnier
Just to show I am actually making progress (although with the IDF build underway, this is going to get neglected a bit more).

Scratchbuilt cockpit. Still needs rudder pedals and some instrument faces, before giving it a wash and some weathering.

Wings and fuselage. Removed the wings from the cockpit centre section. Removed 2.5mm from each wing chord and added the same amount to the span of each to correct dimensions. Added the scalloped edge to one wing, have yet to do the other. Also filled the overly large rigging holes and redrilled smaller holes in the correct place. Now in the process of sanding back the overdone fabric effect and rib tapes. Scratchbuilt correct shaped fin, rudder and tailplanes from 15 thou clear card. The biggest part of the correction is the fuselage. It was shortened by 12mm and the corrected fuselage is only 66mm long - that's a big proportion to be removed. There was also 1.5mm cut from the top of each fuselage half.

Lastly, the flying wire and landing gear struts provided in the kit are poorly shaped, so used the strut stock shown in a previous post to start making some new ones. Shown on the left is one side of the landing gear mounting struts, shown next to the kit ones, which are broken down front and back rather than left and right.

On The Bench
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Craig Sargent.

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee