Ok, few weeks to get it done, I think I should be alright! I have done some research into the VMA 211 Marine Corps Attack Squadron, and looking at the decals, well, lets just say there are things that are wrong. I should be able to rectify them with that I have on here
I can't find the exact aircraft i any pics, Ive been searcing while working and tonight... this is the best I could find. not the same identifier number, but it will do
Paint and decal scheme (kind of, explained above I will be changing it to be accurate)
Alright everyone, getting off the comp now, and going to get on to it!!
Grant wrote: Plenty of time! Those intakes will be interesting to mask in 1/72.
There are ways
The easiest way I've found is to mask and paint the internal parts before you put the intake together, then mask the lot when you do the external colour, allowing for a little overspray on the forward part of the red on the fuselage side. Sounds more complicated to explain than show If you do it right you get it's easy just to tape and retouch with a brush to get a perfect hard line. You need to be careful to get the demarcations to line up but it's not too tricky as masking goes.
This is 1/72 and were masked and retouched this way. I'll be doing it again shortly on my 1/72 K build.
grover wrote: Could you dip the fronts into some red paint?
Probably the way to go... will see when I get there. Noticed the fit to the fuselage had a decent gap, so some filling and sanding is in order. Also cockpit detail in this thing is... well non-existent. Basic pilots seat with a "dash" (a decal... which I'm not even sure if i'm supposed to put a piece on to make it...).
Didn't get bugger all done last night, got it all cleaned up, and fuselage cut out, pilots seat installed on to the front landing gear bit. Going to put the pilot in this one, as at least there will be some detail in the cockpit area...
So tonight I got the "cockpit" (I put it in quotations there, as there isn't really anything to it... but the way I have it planned, you wont really see anyway). Pilot painted and installed in, and the main fuselage together, along with the avionics hump.
There is a bit of filling to do here and there, mainly on the hump, which doesn't attach cleanly to the main fuselage. I will fill and sand what I can tomorrow. I have test fitted the wings together, there is going to be a little bit of work to get that right in there as well.
All going well, I should have most of it done by the time the weekend is through, as there doesn't seem to be too much in this build, these small scales are a bit of a breeze (to a point). Just doesn't have the many many parts a larger scale would have (though I would prefer it lol)
Anyways, some pics:
Main fuselage together (honestly, this thing was so warped... I have a feeling this kit may have been kept in the sun.
Big gap there to fill, and hopefully sand down ok without hurting the raised lines.
Used your idea K1 - dipped the vents in the red paint worked a treat. Canopy is on, and masked up ready to go. On to primer soon. Sorry for all the updates, Just enjoying finally being able to spend some decent time on it!
And this is where I stop tonight Main colour is one, and tomorrow I will mask it and paint the underneath and other highlights white. All weapons,drop tanks and landing gear finished being painted as well.
Yep, I'm a big fan of the dip technique too. I use it a lot in building 1/43 cars where there are a lot of small pieces, a brush doesn't give the desired finish, and it's too much hassle firing up the airbrush for a small volume. Works really well with lacquer based metallics...even Alclad. The thinner the mixture the better it seems to work as the excess is easy to wick away with a tissue.
Of course I always dunk my windscreens/canopies in Future too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop, Xtr3meNZer
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
okies, so latest pic. As I said before, not a lot has been done last night. The Fuel line wasn't fitting againts the part moulded into the body. So I had to cut the points which are supposed to go into the fuselage off, and straight glued it on. Masked off and painted the black part there by the canopy, and also the nose cone.
I have to paint the Fuel probe white and red striped, so that's going to be interesting. but hopefully tonight I should be able to get that done, and the clear coat in place.