Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • ChewbaccaNZ
  • ChewbaccaNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #1 by ChewbaccaNZ
Alternative to Pledge Future? was created by ChewbaccaNZ
Hi again. Sorry in advance for all the noobie questions...
Can anyone vouch for Pascoe's Long Life Self Shining Floor Polish and does the same thing as the mythical Pledge Future? ( www.bunnings.co.nz/long-life-1l-self-shi...oor-polish_p04460498 )
I have read conflicting opinions about it being an alternative to Future. Are there any other products readily available in NZ that do the same thing re: model/canopy finishing etc?
Thanks!

Never a dull moment!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #2 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
I have the same stuff in a older bottle.

It can be used as a clear coat. I had variable success with it on clear parts.

I don't use it any more and use either Gunze super clear or Tamiya x22 I thin both with lacquer thinners and they produce a really good gloss coat.

I hope this helps..

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChewbaccaNZ

More
3 years 10 months ago #3 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
I have used this product,it works ok as a clear coat sealer,have not used on clear parts.
Be careful not to let it pool up in areas as it will not dry clear.

More
3 years 10 months ago #4 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
I've used future in the past and found it to be inconsistent. Glossy and shiny one time, and grainy and orange peel the next. Never figured it out and gave up using it. Much prefer Tamiya X22 or Gunze Super Clear as previously mentioned by John. Dipping clear canopy parts (especially vac-forms) in Future does however make supergluing them in place a lot easier because it prevents the part getting fogged by the superglue degassing, but I only ever super glue canopies if I have no other choice, or need the joint to be super strong!

• ChewbaccaNZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #5 by ChewbaccaNZ
Replied by ChewbaccaNZ on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
Thanks heaps for the replies and awesome wisdom guys. The main reason I was asking was for use on canopies to make them look thinner etc. Are there any products specifically for that purpose? Thanks again!

Never a dull moment!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by ChewbaccaNZ.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 10 months ago #6 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
AK has a product called Gauze that is supposed to do a great job for canopies but is not exactly cheap
www.mightyape.co.nz/product/ak-intermedi...MpxrqsIaAugkEALw_wcB

Also, Alclad's Aqua Gloss is very much like Future, but once again not that cheap.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
3 years 10 months ago #7 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
The AK Gauze agent is fantastic I can't say enough good about it, I've tried all the others mentioned and a load more besides and I have to say this is the shizz for canopies.
But for starting out as you are the floor polish is a good place to start you just need to dip the canopy, give it a wee shake and then place it seam down on to some tissue paper to wick off the excess. As has been said before don't let it puddle up anywhere.
Most of the floor polishes will allow you to redip them if it goes wrong and as long as it's not gone fully hard you can correct any blemishes. ISO will remove hardened polish without damaging the plastic.
The best floor polish in my opinion is the Johnson's stuff yes the one with future but if you can't get hold of any try some cheap stuff on an old canopy.
If you lived near Te Awamutu I could give you some different ones to try out including the Johnson's stuff.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 10 months ago #8 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
Is the Gauze agent that good G1? And I just did an order to Mighty Ape this morn!!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
3 years 10 months ago #9 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
Yeah it seems to stick to anything, it has a much higher shine than Pledge with Future.
But all these things are subjective this is just my opinion, I've sold Chris aka Foesboy on it as well, if he reads this I'm sure he'll give you his opinion. I know he's struggled with their normal spray stuff but like all things it's trial and error.
It has a similar finish to much vaulted X22 or whatever the number is, I've also used that but I found it a bit too hot for comfort, too easy to trash your hard work.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• ChewbaccaNZ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago #10 by ChewbaccaNZ
Replied by ChewbaccaNZ on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
Thanks again Gary! Kiwimodeller is flippin' awesome ;-) Have you (or anyone else reading this) tried Humbrol Clear? Recommend? PS - Alas, Whangarei is a little to far from Teawamutu :-(

Never a dull moment!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
3 years 10 months ago #11 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
I believe Humbrol Clear is an enamel, so I would be hesitant to use it on any clear surface. I might be wrong, but was just watching a video the other day where the guy said it was enamel when asked about it. I know some people swear by humbrol products, but I do think there are better products out there, and ones that are just as easily accessible.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #12 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
My Future has gone off I think. It's probably 20 or so years old now though. My next trial will be using the Tamiya polishing compounds (I can't remember who it was here here that suggested trying them). Think I'll have to try this AK Gauze stuff too.

For spraying clear coats in prep for decalling, I am sold on the Mr Levelling thinner + Tamiya X-22 clear combo.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by KitModellerNZ.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
3 years 10 months ago #13 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
A guy in Aussie has stock of the best current version of Pledge
www.polish-up.com.au/search.php?search_query=pledge&submit=

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
3 years 10 months ago #14 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
I've got an approx 2/3s full bottle of future in my paint supplies. I too have never been able to get satisfying results applying it for washes and decaling.

I'm open to selling it, but am unsure on what a fair price is

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
3 years 10 months ago #15 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
One thing I have found with the new 'klear' is that it does not play nice with AK decal solution until it is very VERY cured.
I thew some clear down on the spots needing decals friday night, come saturday morning i started applying decals and when i applied the solution to set the decals doen i found that it got into the klear, and gave the look of the paint underneath lightening up, which is not the end of the world as it does dry back ok BUT

DO NOT try and wipe the excess solution off as the combination of the solution and plich also softended up the acrylic paint (minitaire) underneath and it lifted the lot off the primer (stynelrez)

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
3 years 10 months ago #16 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Alternative to Pledge Future?
Found these for you Chewy

www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/the-new-k...ge-floor-care.27116/

and theres a whole bunch int the youtube link below too

Hope this helps you too

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary