Help needed - Interior colours for Vickers Wellington B. III

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 3 months ago #1 by Andrew
I need to get a move on with my Bomber Command GB, but am held up with painting the interior

Trumpeter are a little vague when making colour call outs during assembly. (Outside isn't a problem)

I have done a little research, and from what I can gather, a lot of the interior of the Wellington was a shade of pink/red from the dope (Not the green stuff :P ) to seal the fabric? Can anyone verify this? if it is true, what paint would you recommend to match?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #2 by Gary
You've been over to Britmodeller again haven't you? :P
Well they are partially correct, but their knowledge of the Wellington at Brooklands is wrong, I knew a guy who flew the one at Brooklands and he even helped with the restoration.

Here is an interior shot of the one at Brooklands you can see that the pink doesn't start until past the bomb-bay

The pink was often overpainted in the earlier Mks, but as time and requirements required certain areas were left in the natural off pink in the later Mks. From the bomb bay back to just forward of the tail position was pink with Tail end Charlie having his office blackened out. If there were waist guns then these were often over painted as well.
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about this, I'm sure there are a number of "ex-spurts" out there that will disagree with this but I've seen the interiors of two Wimpys and I've known a lot of former pilots from my time doing researcher all of whom will say different things. ;)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 3 months ago #3 by Andrew
Thanks G1

I think Britmodeller may have been one I looked at. Researching late at night tends to blur the memory :lol:

That helps a bit, but still have more queries on colour call outs

I've noticed futher on in the instructions that some interior parts are painted using a mix of RLM02 + Flat White. Would this be the correct colour for the rest of the interior that is not the off pink, of flat black as per the other call outs?

The wheel wells would be all silver?

Inner parts of the flaps would be?

The very front part of the engine, is that metal colour like the rest?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 3 months ago #4 by Andrew

More
4 years 3 months ago #5 by Gary
Yeah been a member there for a few years, not been on for a long time. Terry aka Airframes is pretty knowledgeable as well.
The other guy has done a pretty good job of the interior colour, I'd of mixed a bit more brown in, brick red is a bit darker than his photos. I still say the tail was blacked out, I've been trying to find it in my books, I've got a rather large library and I know I've seen it in one of them.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary