Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Terry
  • Terry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #1 by Terry
Woohoo Jojo Rabbit is complete!!

Long story short is Ian posted his 1/32 Trumpeter Bf109E-7 earlier this year and it got me motivated to start this kit. The main reason I chose to do this particular aircraft is because of the man that flew it, Kommodore Hannes Trautloft, and a back story that involves allied airmen that he was indirectly/directly responsible for saving the lives of. From Wikipedia:

In late 1944, a rumour crossed Trautloft's desk that a large number of Allied airmen were being held at Buchenwald Concentration Camp. Trautloft decided to visit the camp and see for himself under the pretence of inspecting aerial bomb damage near the camp. Trautloft was about to leave the camp when captured US airman Bernard Scharf called out to him in fluent German from behind a fence. The SS guards tried to intervene but Trautloft pointed out that he out-ranked them and made them stand back. Scharf explained that he was one of more than 160 allied airmen imprisoned at the camp and begged Trautloft to rescue him and the other airmen. Trautloft's adjutant also spoke to the groups commanding officer, New Zealander Phil Lamason. Disturbed by the event, Trautloft returned to Berlin and began the process to have the airmen transferred out of Buchenwald. Seven days before their scheduled execution, the airmen were taken by train by the Luftwaffe to Stalag Luft III.

Initially I just got the cockpit completed and other shiny things caught my attention. After my recent F1 splurge I felt the need for a change of pace, so picked this up again. The Trumpeter kit was mostly a dream to assemble, and quality and fit was excellent. The only thing that came under mild attack was I re-profiled the spinner in the motor tool. There was enough meat in the plastic part to make the spinner more pointed than the original more blunt looking shape. Belts by HGW (although the kits pe belts were probably more than adequate) and this time I used elastic rigging line for the antenna which suits this bigger scale. Decals were from Xtradecal sheet, and the colour scheme is slightly revised to take into account more recent research and photos that have since (?) come to light. Paints were a mixed affair of Mr Color and Mission Models with water based pigment washes.

I finished painting the figure last night (I'm not sure figure painting is ever finished, a tweak here, a tweak there etc etc), all done in Vallejo Model Color. The Wings Cockpit figure is a 109 specific sculpt and it sits just right on the sill. Any resemblance to Hannes more a coincidence than actually aimed for. Freehand cut mdf base has some Reality in Scale grass mat.

All up I'd say full marks to Trumpeter for making such a lovely kit. It was a joy to build.

Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Terry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #2 by Bishop
Looking very good. I really like the figure too. Great natural face

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry

More
1 year 7 months ago #3 by Grant
That is a really excellent build Terry. The painting is so nice. The figure is outstanding too. :cheer:

More
1 year 7 months ago #4 by Viperbuilder
Mmmmm...mmmmmmm. That is really nice work Terry. Your figure painting is exquisite!

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
1 year 7 months ago #5 by yak
Amazing work :ohmy: the story is great as well

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

More
1 year 7 months ago #6 by Fritz
Very nice work Terry, loving that pilot.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
1 year 7 months ago #7 by TravisT
Great work, I assumed the Spinner was the quick boost one until I read it again

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
1 year 7 months ago #8 by grover
Awesome mahi Terry.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary