David's Pacific GB - "When Hell Just Got Hotter" - Peleliu

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #91 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's Pacific GB - "When Hell Just Got Hotter" - Peleliu
Byook, byook, cark, a doodle didn't. Just hatched from a batch of madness . . .
Similar nuttiness to scratch building me thinks :woohoo: And if one gets it right, with similar outcomes. Detail, detail, detail - with the model looking just right, whatever "RIGHT" might look like to any one of us - and something to pat yourself on the back about. ;) Dedication to attaining the look and feel one is attempting to portray. Some might suggest Nuttiness, madness, obsessive perfectionism,etc,etc,etc . . . :lol:

And some people play golf :P

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #92 by Wally
When you put it like that ... I see your point.
Model building is nothing compared to the insanity of playing golf!

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #93 by Michaels Models
How long has the tracks taken so far?

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #94 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's Pacific GB - "When Hell Just Got Hotter" - Peleliu
Michaels Models asks:
How long has the tracks taken so far?

Here's where I am right now . . . 82 Track Links and with another 72 End Connecters/Guide Horns to attach before this one side is ready for wash and paint.

Attachment Trackedtolength.jpg not found

Although I have a process sorted now, which is making this whole Track business faster, this has taken around maybe 10 hours to date.
Thats 470+ parts to remove from sprues, clean the two cuts up on every part (some Very Small ones too), lay out the parts and assemble . . . Bloody Carefully. :lol:

Thanks for asking Michael; I hadn't really stopped to consider how long . . . It has been a 'Nike' period at my work bench . . . Just Do It !

Cheers
David

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 11 months ago #95 by Wally
And someone called me a machine!
Well done mate, I'm sure it will be worth it.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #96 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks Wally

more to the story . . .
These just arrived with the courier this morning

Attachment Barrelsincoming1.jpg not found

Attachment Barrelsincoming2.jpg not found

And these in the same packet too...

Attachment Alsointhesamebox.jpg not found

:)

Unfortunately the Aber Sherman Barrel does not fit and would require too much alteration to the Mantle and gun mount, losing detail in the process, to be worth the effort.
On the flip side is that those funky wee MG barrels will look a Treat when installed. I've already made the modifications to thier mounting places and all is ready to go with those. :woohoo:

Anyone need a 1/35th 75mm M3 Tank Gun for M4 Shermans for Tasca and Tamiya kits apparently - with M34/M34A1 mounts.

Ta for lookin'
David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 11 months ago #97 by Kiwimav
very nice dave...great job m8...this build id very interesting to watch and read

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
7 years 11 months ago #98 by Wally
The funky wee MG barrels sure will look a treat. They are awesome!

I enjoy doing research

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 11 months ago #99 by Andrew
What is the issue with the 75mm barrel not fitting? I used a RB Model barrel on my Tarawa Sherman (RB + Aber are turned from the same place) without any issues

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #100 by 1/35th Battalion
:cheer: Looks like the same RB MG's there Andrew.

With the Aber barrel, it is too large a diameter to go sufficiently far enough through the mantlet for it to be in the correct location to fit into the mount at the rear.
It does say for Tasca shermans and the instruction page also states it's for Tamiya kits as well. I would not have thought there would have much difference at this scale. I'll give the barrel a serious sanding over it back half and see if that make any difference. It was the only 75mm M4 Sherman barrel available so I grabbed it from BNA.

David

On the Bench:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 11 months ago #101 by Andrew
Yeah, I wouldn't have thought much scale difference either :s

G1 has a lathe? Maybe he could give it a whirl, and machine a little off for you? Otherwise you'll need to get in there with a file :evil:

Yes, RB MG barrels on that one :)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
7 years 11 months ago #102 by Glenn
I can also turn it down to the correct dia if you want too send it up to tauranga :)

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #103 by 1/35th Battalion

Glenn wrote: I can also turn it down to the correct dia if you want too send it up to tauranga :)

Are you able to turn a taper Glen??
I don't have calipers to measure but shes pretty small and has the locating pin out back of it too...

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 11 months ago #104 by Glenn
Yes I can turn a taper David and have made afew 1/35 scale barrels in the past :)

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #105 by 1/35th Battalion
:woohoo: Hey, thanks so much for your kind offer Glenn.
I now have it sorted. 15 minutes with 600 wet 'n dry and another 5 with 1000; a tickle in the mantlet with a round file; a 2mm drill for the locating pin and it all fits firmly together. Won't need much adhesive here. Ancient technology; Where would we be with out it? :lol:

Cheers All

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 11 months ago #106 by Gary
What me again? What did I do? Oh yeah I got a lathe if anyone ever wants anything butcher up, it's not one of these fancy lathes but it will happily turn brass and Aluminium.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #107 by 1/35th Battalion
:ohmy: :unsure: Um, gee . . . thanks, ah...um . . . I think I'll call Glenn... ah... thanks ... he he :S :evil: :whistle:

On the Bench:

More
7 years 11 months ago #108 by Gary
Sweet, one less thing I got to do :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #109 by 1/35th Battalion
Stage Next

Other than the pioneer tools, stowage and an aerial the upper hull and turret are complete. Apart from the part where I need to fill and sand the joint around the rear of the turret between the upper and lower parts of that. No biggy . . .
I got all the brass and alloy bits to fit nice 'n snug too. It certainly makes a difference to the overall effect of the vehicle, especially when the styrene barrel had a very slight warp in it. :woohoo: Just need to finish that join and we're in for paint.

Attachment UpperHullnTurretwithbrass.jpg not found

Se you all in the next installment, probably further down the tracks . . .

David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #110 by Kiwimav
V Nice Dave...gotta get me some barrels and etch for my goodies inbound. Got a super sweet deal on some 1/35 german armour

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
7 years 11 months ago #111 by grunzter
...I'm starting to feel the need for a Kiwi Sherman after seeing this, and the others on the go at the moment!
Grant

More
7 years 11 months ago #112 by Tiger
Sharp David really sharp. :-)
Tiger

More
7 years 11 months ago #113 by Wally
That is lookin' mighty fine bro!
With the effort you're putting into tracks & detail I reckon it will be awesome.
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #114 by 1/35th Battalion
Hey folks, I've been a bit quiet at the bench so here is where I'm at now.
Progress has been slow.

Completed one side track to length and just primered that with Vallejo "Panzer Aces" Track Primer by brush. Decided to do it by brush as there are just so many crevices and angles and such that I thought it best to get in there by hand. Worked to. Nice colour primer. kinda Rusty Steel look to it when dry.

The image here is more about displaying the articulation of the Indi Link tracks compared with the DS ones of the kit.
The Bronco Indi's are just placed there and fell to where you see them. Nice.

Attachment OnTrackComparo.jpg not found

TheTurret now has the Metal barrels installed and the halves closed up with the joint seam filled, filed and sanded. The Hull and turret are now primed using Mr Surfacer 1000 from a rattle can. A beautiful layer that has proven to be. Thanks Steve for that tin, much appreciated.

Attachment USMarinesM4A2Hull-HighLeftside.jpg not found

Attachment USMarinesM4A2Hull-Rightside.jpg not found

Along with the other parts getting a nice prime up was all the Dozer Blade parts too. Still Mr Surfacer 1000
An idea of just how big the dozer blade is in comparison to the hull upper. Should look awesome all assembled.

Attachment AllthebitsProportions.jpg not found

On with the next length of track
See you all further down that . . .
Cheers for lookin'
David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

• Michaels Models
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #115 by Michaels Models
Looking good Dave.

Are the etch parts to replace plastic parts or are they in place of missing parts?

Cheers Michael

File Attachment:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #116 by 1/35th Battalion

Michaels Models wrote: Looking good Dave.

Are the etch parts to replace plastic parts or are they in place of missing parts?

Hi Michael. The kit comes with some PE already provided (Front Light Guards, the Hull side rails, Front fenders, and the Tow Cable hull - front and rear mounts and latches). The kit also has all the Light Guards in plastic. I have added Verlinden PE Rear Light Guards, Front Horn/siren Guard, turret top manual main-gun aiming device, and commanders cupola periscope forward indicator; The plastic light guards were represented incorrectly according to my reference material - Those are generally made from flat steel so I have kept that look using the PE. I've also added PE hinges to the rear stowage platform, 10 bolt heads to the rear of the hull, 4 Washers and Nuts to each side of the dozer mounts where they attach to the bogeys and two more smaller ones to the pivot bracket on the side of the armoured hydraulic ram cover . All the PE parts have been Trickey buggers to attach with CA though.
I have replaced all the weapons barrels to acheive a more relasitic appearance, the plastic just not looking the part with shallow cooling sleeve indents on the MG's. So RB Brass barrels and sleeves for those and the main gun styrene barrel had a slight warp, so Aber Alloy turned barrel for that, which even has evidence of rifling down the muzzle end. If you look Very Very Closely, it's there.

Thanks for lookin' and asking

David

On the Bench:

Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 10 months ago #117 by sjr_76
Looking good D1 glad the Mr Surfacer 1000 came in useful B)

Regards

Steve R
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

More
7 years 10 months ago #118 by grunzter
Yeh, I agree, the primed bits look fantastic!
need to get me some of that primer... :)
Grant

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #119 by 1/35th Battalion
Cheers Chaps

I thought I'd give yuz a run-down on these Bronco Individual link T54E1 Tracks for late PTO Sherman M4A2

The logo shot

Attachment BroncoTrack-Talk-1.jpg not found

The parts for each link

Attachment Track-Talk-1.jpg not found

Parts assembling

Attachment Track-Talk-tootoo-too.jpg not found

Which progressively build up

Attachment Track-Talk-too-one.jpg not found

When you have a length (I assembled my entire length first - 82 links)

Attachment Track-Talk-too.jpg not found

Turn them over and get ready to add the End Connector/Guide Horns

Attachment Track-Talk-tootoo-somewhere.jpg not found

Which will look something like this when assembled - with a quick brushing of Vallejos' "Panzer Aces" Track Primer

Attachment Track-Talk-tootoo-three.jpg not found

All tracked up

Attachment Track-Talk-tootoo-Four.jpg not found

Lots of very intricate, carfeful, mind-numbingly tedious work to achieve some awesome tracks!!

Thanks for lookin'

More tracks to go
See yuz then . . .
David (D1)

On the Bench:

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 10 months ago #120 by Kiwimav
great job D1, those tracks and you Sherman look the bees knees m8

d2

Update In Stash:

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee