Used acrylic paint to lay down the muddy / wet areas, and other under shades. Most of this will get covered anyway, but what is not covered the shading will hopefully add some realism.
I collected a bag of kindling last winter, just for this experimental occasion.
Blended the kindling, and sieved into three sizes of dead wood debris. Will need a fair bit of the finer mix for mulch. The shire council has laid down a lot of it during its recent landscaping.
Tested laying down the wood debris on the mangrove covered section of the riverbank. Most of this won't be seen anyway.
Used PVA glue to lay down the wood debris. Then brushed away any loose wood with an old tooth brush and a vacuum cleaner. Later I sprayed the whole lot with clear Matt picture varnish for extra fixing.
For a few nights now I spend an hour making weed grass. Got the idea last year when an old paintbrush started to fall apart. So I put it in my landscaping collection box for this project. As you can see, I super-glue fibres to a toothpick, then paint it in different stages and colours. The front (standing) row has the first dark green section painted.
There is a need to tease and bend the fibres apart at the base after each painting stage..
45 of these alone will go between the posts along Bridge Drive. Bottom third of the plant will be buried when planted.
It has come to my attention that the whole diorama display has not been shown for a long time. It is not easy to photograph due to the lack of room. Have to cram myself into a corner, with camera above head, to get maximum distance. So the other snapshots are taken to see across the river.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Bishop wrote: It’s actually great to see the whole thing again and put it all back into the total picture. The water will be the fun bit. That’s a large area to cover and it will make or break the whole thing.
Well I am planing to use a low risk, lightweight, method for the water. Colouring it the way I want it will be the tricky bit for me.
Some of the crew will need to get ashore to rig the old buoy to the crane.
Decided to make a rubber dinghy with small outboard motor.
Used scrap wood dowel, MDF board and Masonite; paddle-pop stick, matchsticks, paper clip, and a bamboo skewer.
Thanks Maarten for the Big Thumb.
Previously I broke up cork sanding blocks to create rocks (in bucket) but discovered that they were still too big for the riverbanks at Wardell. They would be large enough for a break-wall at the headlands. Anyway, I spent a few hours cutting the pieces with a knife. This added the extra effect of sheering-fractures often seen on rocks. Even so, I still had the cut many smaller sections to fill in the foreseeable gaps between larger rocks.
Made some test beds. Experimenting on rocks sizes, and application. It turned out that the best approach is just how they do in real life. Basically, the last layer is figured by which rock goes where.
Then experimented with painting the rocks (enamel [matt] paints). Decided to paint them after gluing the cork together. Figured that a medium to long haired artist's brush ought to reach into all the cracks. However, I will paint the background/base first with a very dark colour.
C to E basically did not work out too well.
Repainted the rocks and mixed some paint to create a silt - mud stain on the lower rocks where the tidal waters are and signs of previous flood waters.