Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • grover
  • grover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 2 months ago #1 by grover
Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship was created by grover
I'm going to start off with a disclaimer. I no nothing about the universe this Vanship comes from, except that it's Japanese. When PJ put this up for sale, I grabbed it nonetheless as it's very reminiscent of early 20th century design that I love. It just looks super cool.
File Attachment:

There's not a lot to this. It actually has 2 ships in the kit. The Vanship and a smaller "Vespa" ship. Both come with stands but I'm only going to build the Vanship , and will keep it in red, 1. because it's my wife's favorite colour and she thinks it's cool too and 2. because i still have some Pactra red paint left over from when I made a Nissan 240Z.
File Attachment:

Not too many decals either which I like, although I think I will paint the white areas instead of using the decals.
File Attachment:

The instructions are fairly straight forward too. I'm hoping this will be a fairly fast build. I do want to test/achieve a few things though. I really want to up my game as far as preparation before painting goes. I don't want to have seem lines and gaps that I only see when I paint or after I take photos. I also want to test the new Vallejo acrylic metal colous. These may not be the best colours to test on given they are dark, but I will be using Gunmetal and Burnt Iron. Finally, I want a great paint finish. I will be aiming for the best finish I have done so far on a model.
File Attachment:

The way I am going to have to go about the build, I decided to paint some of the internal areas that may be seen first. I used Gunze RLM66? Grey Black. Most of the body work will be assembled and painted in parts, and then given a final assembly later on.
File Attachment:

So a question before I move on. I will be priming the metal parts in X1 Gloss Black to give a nice base for the Vallejo metals. Will this be a good colour to use as a primer for the red body too, or should I look for a light colour? I will be painting parts gloss white as well so could use that as a primer?

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #2 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Super cool dude! Looking forward to seeing this come together with the metal colors!
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

More
5 years 2 months ago #3 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Great choice Grover. I've seen this kit around and always liked the look of it but for some reason I've never added one to the stash - I might have to remedy that :whistle:

As for priming options - I'm a bit lazy, so I only prime if either the plastic colour is way off the top coat colour or there's lots of sanding/filling required.
So, if the fit is good and you're making a red Vanship from red plastic I'd think about not priming.

If I need to do some filling/sanding then I choose a primer colour that helps with seeing subtle shadows - usually a light grey - but a matt white works too. I wouldn't use gloss white for priming. The shiny surface makes it hard to see imperfections and the top coat will always cover better (less paint needed) over a matt base coat.

A dark/black undercoat can make colours seem brighter - I know it doesn't make sense - but people who paint 'toy-soldier' type figures gave been doing this for years. It just depends on whether a bright look is really what you're after with this build.

More
5 years 2 months ago #4 by Viperbuilder
Replied by Viperbuilder on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Cool stuff Kane. I always used to wonder who this kit would appeal to when it was released. I guess I know that now. :)

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
5 years 2 months ago #5 by Powder

Viperbuilder wrote: Cool stuff Kane. I always used to wonder who this kit would appeal to when it was released. I guess I know that now. :)

Mental note to self : Do not buy Viper a Steampunk themed xmas card this year. :)

More
5 years 2 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Mint, looking forward to it mate :)

When I painted the cars, I just primed in grey. Didn't bother with black... guess you could always test on a scrap piece of plastic.. or maybe the smaller one you have?

More
5 years 2 months ago #7 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship

Viperbuilder wrote: Cool stuff Kane. I always used to wonder who this kit would appeal to when it was released. I guess I know that now. :)

Same with me I wondered about Airfix Meteor kits....

Nice subject and something a bit different. Some one brought one along to the last club meeting and it looked pretty cool. I think of them in the same vein as those 'Porco Rossi' seaplane kits Fine Molds do or an Idol Master F/A-18. A quick look through Model Graphix and there is a heap of Japanese comic book tie in kits and subjects most of which I've never heard of. But it seems to be a big part of the hobby in Japan...

Look forward to seeing the build progress.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #8 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Cheers all. Yeah the Japanese do their sub-cultures proper like. It is different but should be a nice challenge, and I can hopefully get it done quickly before the next kit I am building arrives.

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #9 by Powder

johnsnz wrote: Same with me I wondered about Airfix Meteor kits....

You had me thinking 'What's oddball about a Gloster Meteor' - then I did some googling - I guess you're talking about the variation on the TSR.2 kit? :)

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #10 by johnsnz
Nah it's a 'one mans terrorist is another's freedom fighter' type of comment. I'm sure if you're into Sci Fi or Steampunk or WHY a 1950's jet seems an odd choice for a model to build..
Cheers
John
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by johnsnz.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #11 by grover
On with the buld. I started putting parts together in preparation for paint. The engine areas have some nice detail for the scale. Working hard to clean all the seams and joins.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Hard to see in the photo but the join where these two halves came together is quite noticable. I've tried a small amount of sanding nut its hard to do with the detail and shape of the bulb.
File Attachment:

I also put the 2 halves of the body together. I used a permanent marker to highlight a seam line I would need to remove. Its pretty close to the louvre detail though. Lucky its not very heavy.
File Attachment:

Seam line gone, just need to do a final buff of the body.
File Attachment:

Not that you will see it but I've painted the floor of the cockpit area brown to represent wood. I need a better brown, but as I said, you won't see it. slowly adding details to the other internals.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #12 by Xtr3meNZer
Bits and pieces look good, nice work on getting rid of that seam line there mate.

Looking forward to seeing it come together, such an interesting subject

More
5 years 2 months ago #13 by Powder
At least they put the seam between the louvres and not right through a set :)
It's a bit hard to tell from the photos how much room you had to work with - but often when there's clean up work to be done that's close to detail I'll mask off the detail to give it some protection from a wayward movement of the file/sander - maybe I'm just a bit clumsy but I find it helps. :)

Progress is looking great though - I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed - might even get one for myself if it looks ok - no pressure :P

More
5 years 2 months ago #14 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #15 by johnsnz
Yep looking good... Weird in a good way 1930's race car meets Tesla magnetic levitation.. Good level of detail in the kit...

Looking forward to more progress..

Cheers

John

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #16 by grover
Cheers guys. Yeah I thought about masking off the louvres Powder but figured I could get the seam lines without doing it. And yeah, weird in a good way John. I think it's going to turn into a really nice kit, and it's also a nice straight forward build too.

I carried on tonight starting with hand painting other areas of the cockpit, including the seats
File Attachment:

I also gave the instrument panels a paint, followed by a light drybrush. Then using a toothpick I picked out the dials in white and green.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I also painted up the other parts of the pit and put that together. The bulkheads had a drybrush of metalizers making them pop, but you wont see any of it.
File Attachment:

Then it was all assembled in the body. I still have the figures to do, but they can go in later. The surrounds of the pits are much like an open cockpit biplane, so I painted them black. I'll mask them off and close up the pit before painting. The underside also has a black strip around it. I painted it now but I think I will mask and repaint it after I do the body. I was quite hard to mask the actual strip.
File Attachment:

I also tested the fit of the wings. I glued in what looks like a control surface that in the cutout of the grey upper surface, but then I couldn't get the grey part on, so I had to rip it off and it will be painted separately.
File Attachment:

The other body parts got some prep and I glued the wheel hubs together. I've been a bit more aggressive than I have in the past with sanding off the sprue tabs, but because I'm pushing myself for a nicer finish, I've come in with finer sanders afterwards, and then finished off with a buff. It's surprising but its worked better than sitting there for 5 minutes with a light grit sander trying to take down the join tab.
File Attachment:

And so now I have 2 sets of parts ready for paint. Hopefully I will get to do that tomorrow.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #17 by Xtr3meNZer
Cool! I really hope you can get that finish you're wanting aye. Good luck, but looking cool so far.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #18 by grover
Not much time downstairs today. Too busy, but I did put some black Tamiya X1 down on the metallic parts as a base coat. I made the mistake of using the paint neat, but it was too thick and came out looking very flat, so some quick mixing with leveling thinner and I lay down a lot of paint. The result is a very glossy finish and should be a good base for the metallics.
File Attachment:

Then it was the old plastic sheet over the spray booth and leaving the suction on for a minute to hopefully clear out any dust particles. Will see how it all turns out in the morning.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #19 by Xtr3meNZer
Yeah, glossy finish is perfect to get it nice and smooth. Hopefully no dust particles :P

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #20 by grover
Nope, no dust particles. Finish came out great. A couple of parts need a bit of a sand back and re-spray, but its not too bad. Very happy with how it's come out.
File Attachment:

Masking the cockpit openings was quite hard with tape due to the curve. I couldn't be sure it would keep itself stuck down, so I decided to use tack. I'll have to repaint the opening but that's fine.
File Attachment:

Then I joined the 2 fuselage halves together. Great Hasegawa fit as you would expect.
File Attachment:

And so was the nose. No real big problem areas. I may use some Mr Surfacer to get rid of the joins and give the impression of a large piece of sheet metal.
File Attachment:

I'll be using the black gloss on the body too as a base for the Red and White. Hopefully it works well.

Kane

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #21 by grover
I just went to put the pilot figures together. Pretty basic but it is only 1/72. Only 3 colours needed to paint them too. Well by colours I mean 2 greys and black.
File Attachment:

While putting together the 2nd figure an arm pinged off, going god knows where. I grabbed the 2nd set of figures for the smaller ship and used an arm off that. Looks naf but you wont see it anyway, and it's better than having a pilot with one arm missing.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #22 by Xtr3meNZer
Carpet monster strikes again! lol. Nice that it's got a good fit, Hasegawa is always pretty good with that aye

More
5 years 2 months ago #23 by Powder
Looking good Grover.
I have the same issue with parts flying off into orbit - particularly it they're on the end of my tweezers - I squeeze a little too hard and they're space-junk.

More
5 years 2 months ago #24 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
I missed this somehow. Very nice work so far mate. Very nice clean up of that seam.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #25 by grover
Cheers guys. Quick update before I take the wife out for her birthday dinner.
I started filling in the seams with Mr Surfacer 500. It didn't do too bad a job.
File Attachment:

Still some raised detail so more sanding
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Then I tried my new Tamiya Surface Primer, which just seemed like a thinner Mr Surfacer to be honest. Left it for a few hours and then sanded it back
File Attachment:

Satisfied and with the wife hassling me to get in the shower I did the gloss black X1 that will serve as the base coat. I also painted a sheet of plasticard with some tape strips to create sections. I'm going to use this to test spray the Vallejo Metal colours. Wife calling gotta shoot
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #26 by Powder
Looking good.
Great idea with the test cards - I did a card when I was painting my ODS T-72, trying out all the tin/jars of sandy-yellow-ish paint that I had sitting around - I marked down all the codes on the card and I've kept if for future reference. I might do a few more for other colours as the need arises.

... and Happy Birthday to Mrs Grover :woohoo:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #27 by grover
Cheers powder. At the restaurant and Wifey hasn't growled me yet. Phew. Forgot one pic. Also finished the wheels. Leaving the centres gloss black. Love this method of painting wheels. So simple even I can't stuff it up...... Too often
File Attachment:

Kane

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
5 years 2 months ago #28 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
Interesting build Kane

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 2 months ago #29 by grover
Cheers mate. Paint has come out noce. It actually looks pretty cool in gloss back. Be a shame to cover it up.
File Attachment:

Kane

More
5 years 2 months ago #30 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Hasegawa 1:72 Vanship
That's a really nice gloss coat on those items

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Andrew