Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

Ma. K LUM-168 Camel

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
5 years 5 months ago #31 by Powder
Replied by Powder on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Very cool. I like it a lot.

If you're after a quick base, pop down to Mitre10 or Bunnings and check out their range of ceramic tiles. All different shapes and sizes and colours and they sell them individually for a $1 to $5 (supposedly so that people can take them home to decide what they like). I told the guy at my local store I was just after individual tiles and I wouldn't be back to buy boxes of them, but he didn't mind at all - they probably make more profit selling them individually :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago #32 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Thanks for the tip, will have to bear that in mind. I tend to just use 10mm MDF and machine up the edges on the spindle molder, that way I can have any shape or size I need. I might have a looksie to see if they have any mirror tiles though.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago #33 by Gary
I cut a nice size base from a sheet of 10mm MDF, put a nice beveled edge on it and slapped a coat of primer on it, needs a bit of sanding as MDF is a bit fibrous and needs cleaning/sanding.
I started the chipping process, first I applied a grey as the base chip with a sponge, I then applied a dark red/brown for deeper chips and the basis for rust spots to come. Once I've done both legs I'll apply a couple of oils for various stains, fuel, hydraulic etc and then and some streaks for rust and general grime.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

More
5 years 5 months ago #34 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
That's some convincing wear and tear. :)

More
5 years 5 months ago #35 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
NICE NICE NICE. I really like they way you chip stuff up. Really convincing B)

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
5 years 5 months ago #36 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Just caught up on this one, it's looking great! The chipping on the feet looks really good. Also quite like the filters you have put on it, looking really good man. Liking the amount of pics on this build thread. Awesome

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago #37 by Gary
Thanks guys.
Pilot and cockpit are finished and all glued in position.

Back on to weathering duties, should finish the legs tomorrow and start on the body, then it's about done apart from mounting it on something.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 5 months ago #38 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Looking good G1! The pilot looks the part in there too B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
5 years 5 months ago #39 by Xtr3meNZer
Man that is looking good!

More
5 years 5 months ago #40 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Great stuff! Especially love the chipping effect on the legs

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 5 months ago #41 by grover
Replied by grover on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
Looking awesome Gary. Looks to be a tight fit for the pilot. :ohmy:

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #42 by Gary
Thanks again for the kind words.
Almost done, just got to attach it to the base, the pins in the "feet" align to holes I've drilled in the base and fit perfectly. Still a couple of little bits and pieces to do and a bit of touching up here and there and I think i'll call it done. Will boar you with the finished photos in another post but for now here are the last of the in progress shots (I promise).
I was dabbling with the new camera and i'm quite happy with the results apart from a couple of out of focus parts, I've got the white balance sorted.

Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Gary.

More
5 years 5 months ago #43 by Xtr3meNZer
Really a good looking kit mate, and you have done well with it! Really like the weathering, there's a fair whack of it, but it's in no way over powering.

My wifes camera does that as well when I'm trying to take detailed shots of the models, only focuses on one point... There is a way around it, I just have to research up a bit more haha
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
5 years 5 months ago #44 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic Ma. K LUM-168 Camel
As I mentioned on Facebook, that looks awesome. The chipping and rust spots look spot on. The cockpit does look very cramped, doesn't it? The pilot looks very good too, considering you can't really see much with the canopy on.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: Andrew