Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Webby_NZ
  • Webby_NZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 4 months ago #1 by Webby_NZ
SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01 was created by Webby_NZ
Another GB, another entry.
This time SciFi and Fantasy and this seemed to fit the theme as well as the theme from the January club night here of What If/Fiction

not a lot to these HG kits (yup, those are stickers_ but still a chance give the sprue holder a workout

I did not like the dark grey in the kit so all of those got a coat of Stynlrez grey

Leaving these

AK Xtreme Metal Dark Aluminium was then sprayed over the grey, rather than the traditional black. (i wanted to see how metallic that would look)

I was very very impressed with how well it sprayed and the finished effect.

Body joined by the little head and waist sections

Legs 11

and what is probably the star of the show, the arms and the interchangeable (also with some other HG kits) claw/hand/shield parts

In the end a very cool looking kit that is gonna be he victim of some aggressive weathering

......... Paint and weathering coming soon

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #2 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
Nice little kit there, looks interesting, and will look better once she's been weathered :)

More
5 years 4 months ago #3 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
Looking good Webby :)

More
5 years 4 months ago #4 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
B) I loving these kits. Looking good so far.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #5 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
OK, I tried to update last week till the laptop I was using froze up and lost the entire post :-/

So here we go.
First thing is to dismantle into manageable parts

Panel lines and clearcoat

Before and after, if you ever build a Gundam kit make sure to panel line, its the easiest way to improve the look of your kit.

Hoses smothered in washes and pigment fixer to try and lock it in

I really like the Minitaire satin coat

Chipping on Orange parts completed by sponging on AK Chipping Colour and then filling in almost to the edge with VMA Steel.

Next some rust washes that will hopefully work like a textured filter

It did not work as I had hoped so I just went onto sponging the metal parts with Metal Color Megnesium

Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
5 years 3 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
A vast improvement there. Nice

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #7 by Webby_NZ
It gave a nice scuffed metal look (at least i think so)

And on the backpack

Time to get muddy, starting with the newish AK Mud effect textured paints splattered on with airbrush and wide brush

2 colour of mud effects and a few coats and he is looking well worked

Some pigments were also sprinkled and set for more texture

Next the base etc

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 3 months ago #8 by grover
Replied by grover on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
That looks really nice Webby. I'm just looking at learning pigments. Will probably chicken out lol.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
5 years 3 months ago #9 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
Cool mech.
I just saw the sprue holder, that's cool too!!

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #10 by Webby_NZ
Cheers guys

grover wrote: That looks really nice Webby. I'm just looking at learning pigments. Will probably chicken out lol.

I figured id start with simple dirt effects and go from there. Have used some for a rusty exhaust and metallic ones over gundam weapons, but thats as far as ive gone with them. Im happy i have a bunch in the drawer though, never know when they will be useful.

grunzter wrote: Cool mech.
I just saw the sprue holder, that's cool too!!

My mate down the road did them on his 3d printer, not perfect but they are really good for keeping parts undamaged and organized.

More
5 years 3 months ago #11 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
I'm enjoying watching this weathering effect deveop, Webby.

More
5 years 3 months ago #12 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic SciFi/Fantasy GB - Mobile Worker MW-01
That's looking very effective. He wants something around the edge of the lower jaw, it still looks a little plastic. I only say that because it jumps out in a sea of heavy metal.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #13 by Webby_NZ

Bishop wrote: That's looking very effective. He wants something around the edge of the lower jaw, it still looks a little plastic. I only say that because it jumps out in a sea of heavy metal.

Fair point Bishop, the photos don't show the metallic like id hoped but I also plan on getting some metallic pigments or pencil on the edges when i get a chance now all the pigments/mud etc have set solid

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #14 by Webby_NZ
Ok, not gonna be at the bench for at least a week (out of town training) so here is where this is at. basically complete.

The base is a generic frame from Spotlight, which i used glad press and seal to mask the outer part which was them clamped back in place

The gap was filled with an experimental basing product :-) that was on special at the local hardware store, and once it had stiffened up the outer was removed carefully.

Once dry everything got a coat of my favorite rattle can primer. As you can tell a little yellow went on the outer first.

While that was drying the oil effects came out

Im sure there is a cheaper way but there is a lot to be said for simplicity and knowing what effect you will get

Next he got stuck onto the base that was covered with Dark Earth (picture looks grey :-/)

Next the outer was unmasked and luckily he comes apart so it can go back into place as the Dark Earth ended up holding him really well.

Next it was in with the newish Ammo 'Mud' products and some AK weathering products to start the blending of kit and base

Plaster was used to bulk out some spots and give some tonal variation as it soaks up some of the weathering products making them lighter

Some more splashes and the outer attached

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #15 by Webby_NZ
Assembled to see the final look

I/m quite happy with how this looks and will go into the cabinet or ill keep poking at it

As Bishop mentioned the metallic and mud on the claws isn't as nice as it should be and will be touched up at some point but for now im saying done.

Moderators: Andrew