Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

RX-78-2

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • johnsnz
  • johnsnz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1 by johnsnz
RX-78-2 was created by johnsnz
Hi,

I'm going to have a crack at the Scifi GB with a build of RX-78-2. Which I think meets the Sci Fi criteria.

Here it is...

The 1/100 Bandai Kit.. I've not built a Gundam seriously before.. So this could be interesting but as Bandai kits are superb in every way I'm hoping for a relatively pain free time on the build.

RX-78-2 is a bit of a legend in the Gundam world as it's one of the main protagonists of the original cartoon series that spawned the whole Gundam and Gunpla worlds..

Who can resist the temptation of building a Armoured battle suit in Primary colours wielding an 18 shot Beam Rifle and shield..
Bandai knocked up a 1:1 Version some time ago in Japan as a sort of hommage.. Gundam are big business in Asia having recently sampled the delights of a well stocked Gunpla retail space in a store in Korea I can understand why.

Any how the kit is winging it's way to me from its homeland and I'm hoping to make a start on the build sometime after Xmas as I have to clear a few other projects and also move modeling space.

Cheers

John
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by johnsnz. Reason: sp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 7 months ago #2 by grover
Replied by grover on topic RX-78-2
Awesome John. Looking forward to the build.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnsnz

More
5 years 7 months ago #3 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic RX-78-2
Welcome to this Group Build John :)
I'm loving your subject.. As you say this guy is a beast in real size!

Attachments:

• johnsnz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #4 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic RX-78-2
Thanks guys,

The kit arrived this morning which is pretty good going..

I ordered it on Monday PM here in NZ shipped Tuesday and arrived Saturday.. Ya gotta love international commerce.

I haven't looked at it in Detail yet. But will do later...

Cheers
John

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 7 months ago #5 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic RX-78-2
great choice, the Ver Ka kits are just that much better than the normal MG kits, they usually come with decals rather than stickers and are slightly redesigned for more ascetically pleasing proportions.
The 1:1 RX-78-2 that lives outside a shopping center in Odaiba in Tokyo. It is slightly different but only Gunpla veterans could spot the subtle differences.
Ammo's first Mecha paint set was done in the traditional RX-78-2 colours if you want to stay true with the colour scheme. www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Robots--Mechas-Colours-Set/23017839
Can't wait to see how this one comes out.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• johnsnz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #6 by johnsnz
Replied by johnsnz on topic RX-78-2
Hi,

Thanks..

I'm a Gundam Newbie.. So it appears i've hit a good spec kit by pure chance..

I've wondered about those AK paints. I have some other AMMO sets and TBH I'm kinda lukewarm about them. I got the modern RAF colours and the BS626 grey took an age to dry which is odd for an acrylic. But the Stainless steel agitator (ball bearing) is a nice touch. I'm not sure how they differ from regular Vallejo Model Air?? They smell differnet sort of like a hospital.. if that makes sense..

I might hit Model Air (shop) and stock up on Gunze in the base colours for ole RX-78-2 that thins well with lacquer thinner drys rock hard and is easily modulated.

Cheers

John

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #7 by Webby_NZ
Replied by Webby_NZ on topic RX-78-2
Im always happy to get someone into the Gunpla space. Check out Gunpla.nz (still in its infantcy) for some tips and tricks from locals
I hope to get some pics of my MG Unicorn Gundam up this week.

and another option for more 'proven' paints is the GSI range, available from BNAModelWorld
www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-model-paints...gunze-gundam-colours

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Webby_NZ.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 6 months ago #8 by grover
Replied by grover on topic RX-78-2

Webby_NZ wrote: and another option for more 'proven' paints is the GSI range, available from BNAModelWorld
www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-model-paints...gunze-gundam-colours

Also available locally through ModelAir

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

Moderators: Andrew