Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

GB -Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build -"MACROSS ZERO" Completed

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • jackielinz
  • jackielinz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1 by jackielinz
Ok, first time actually participated in a group build. No time to waste, started on this today, super excited!!

managed to get this guy done and made a start on the cockpit

time for bed, early start tomorrow!
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by jackielinz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #2 by PJNZ
Wow awesome looking kit Jackie! And good progress already. Your first GB too, thanks for joining :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackielinz

More
5 years 7 months ago #3 by Xtr3meNZer
Woohoo, go you. Enjoy the build. Will be watching :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackielinz

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #4 by grover
Replied by grover on topic New Stash Acquisitions
Awesome Jackie.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by grover.

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #5 by jackielinz
Ok, finally got a day to myself without distractions.

Removed seam line and masked up the canopy.

Started working on the fuselage, interesting how to build a sweep wing fighter, good prep for the F-14 GB later on :)

I have no idea what these are...

Controlled chaos without the control...

painted and weathered landing gear bay, dry fitted everything. That's enough for today.

Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by jackielinz. Reason: somting wang wif attchin' fotos

More
5 years 7 months ago #6 by Xtr3meNZer
Looking good. Do the landing gear bays just slot in? that would be quite handy for painting the body etc, and just popping them in afterwards. Nice

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #7 by jackielinz

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Looking good. Do the landing gear bays just slot in? that would be quite handy for painting the body etc, and just popping them in afterwards. Nice

no it doesn't, that's why i had to get it all done before close the two halves of the intake/engine, will need to mask it all up again before painting...arr..

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #8 by grover
Really nice progress Jackie. B)

Kane

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 7 months ago #9 by Webby_NZ
Looking good, always harder to spot detials on white plastic in photos but id the landing gear and closeups are anything to go by this is gonna look amazing.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
5 years 7 months ago #10 by Viperbuilder
Hey...a one year building time and finishing just before next year's Armistice. Sounds sensible to me. It'll give me time to dig the few fantasy kits I have in the stash and do something with them. So many GBs happening now for us time-challenged modellers....might have to temper my modelling ego a bit to get something finished. :unsure:

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
5 years 7 months ago #11 by RED
liking the look of these more and more

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #12 by jackielinz
Thanks guys, I am loving this build. lots of sanding and touch ups, but all good. Didn't have much time tonight but managed to get all the parts masked and ready for painting. Let the fun begin...in couple of days...haha

Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #13 by grover
nice job on the masking and cool idea about adding the tabs on the canopy mask. Going to have to copy that idea :)

Kane

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #14 by jackielinz

grover wrote: nice job on the masking and cool idea about adding the tabs on the canopy mask. Going to have to copy that idea :)

Learnt that from old Flory's video. To be honest it didnt make too much of a difference on this build since its 1/72, but I can tell thta trick will make a big difference when building a bigger scale model :)

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #15 by jackielinz
spent the last 2 hours pre shading and painting all the little parts, mostly done. more masking and painting tomorrow before getting on with the decals on Saturday hopefully.

Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #16 by grover
Nice Jackie. Tell you one thing that has started to help with my preshading was the tip to try some on a piece of styrene. the lines I had before and after were like night and day. Not straight and I have a long way to go, but a lot more consistent in thickness. Actually watching PJ's short videos and seeing his technique has been really useful as well. www.youtube.com/channel/UCbx1X--gOqVp2ysVCc0PPOg
Nice work on this, you're fair steaming ahead B)

Kane

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #17 by jackielinz

grover wrote: Nice Jackie. Tell you one thing that has started to help with my preshading was the tip to try some on a piece of styrene. the lines I had before and after were like night and day. Not straight and I have a long way to go, but a lot more consistent in thickness. Actually watching PJ's short videos and seeing his technique has been really useful as well. www.youtube.com/channel/UCbx1X--gOqVp2ysVCc0PPOg

Thanks Kane, can't see youtube at work, will check it out when i get home. My pre shading skills are terrible cause I got shaky hands, some practical tips would be amazing!

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #18 by grover

jackielinz wrote: My pre shading skills are terrible cause I got shaky hands, some practical tips would be amazing!

Yours and mine both. I was like "I recognise that preshading" :silly:
Another guy I watched and of course didn't do the practice like he said, but when I did, even a little bit of practice helped a huge amount was this guy. He's Australian and so mind the language around kids, but gives some really helpful tips, even though he's about painting large artworks and photo-realistic stuff with airbrushes,
www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor
Watch his ones about how to control and airbrush and how to airbrush a line.
I think sometime cause we spend half the time building and half the time painting is that we're not practising one discipline all the time, we're jumping between 2, and if you're slow like me, by the time I get back to airbrushing, I've forgotten half of what I learned. :S

Kane

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #19 by jackielinz

grover wrote:

jackielinz wrote: My pre shading skills are terrible cause I got shaky hands, some practical tips would be amazing!

I think sometime cause we spend half the time building and half the time painting is that we're not practising one discipline all the time, we're jumping between 2, and if you're slow like me, by the time I get back to airbrushing, I've forgotten half of what I learned. :S

So true!!

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #20 by jackielinz

grover wrote:

So true!!

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #21 by turtle65
I'll be brutally honest and admit I'm not an aircraft modeller (nor do I intend to start), however, this is opening my eyes to the numerous dilemmas faced by the "flight boys".
For me it's interesting following this and watching the construction/painting sequence.
Keep up the good work Sir.

"No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away"

On the Bench:
Scratch - Steam Car
Scratch - Santa's sleigh
Scratch - EggCopter Ka-26
Scratch - EggPlane !
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by turtle65.

More
5 years 7 months ago #22 by PJNZ

jackielinz wrote:

grover wrote: Nice Jackie. Tell you one thing that has started to help with my preshading was the tip to try some on a piece of styrene. the lines I had before and after were like night and day. Not straight and I have a long way to go, but a lot more consistent in thickness. Actually watching PJ's short videos and seeing his technique has been really useful as well. www.youtube.com/channel/UCbx1X--gOqVp2ysVCc0PPOg

Thanks Kane, can't see youtube at work, will check it out when i get home. My pre shading skills are terrible cause I got shaky hands, some practical tips would be amazing!

Great Progress so far Jackie!
In my opinion there are perhaps 3 or 4 simple tips that can greatly increase the level of control when airbrushing. I'm keen to do a better video showing and explaining those basic tips. I only have a iPhone for videoing tho so it's a bit tricky making decent videos and the file size is way huge at the end!

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #23 by jackielinz

turtle65 wrote: I'll be brutally honest and admit I'm not an aircraft modeller (nor do I intend to start), however, this is opening my eyes to the numerous dilemmas faced by the "flight boys".
For me it's interesting following this and watching the construction/painting sequence.
Keep up the good work Sir.

Hey Turtle, I am no good at this as you can see compare to the others on this site, but I really enjoy doing this so keeps on posting photos...haha...I learn a lot from building every kit so hopefully one day my skill level will catch up :) On the other hand, I only build aircrafts so terrified of building anything else, one day maybe...one day..haha

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #24 by jackielinz

Tips number one, use 2 hands for steadiness!! I am learning already

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #25 by jackielinz
I finished painting the first coat last night and started putting down some gloss black on the parts I want to paint metallic colors. Good timing that the Mr Metal paints I ordered arrived today, will give these a go tomorrow. Thanks Kane for the intro mate! Also, I am never any good at putting decal strips on the wings etc, so decided to paint them instead to save the trouble later.

Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #26 by PJNZ
Looking forward to seeing how the metals come out over the black - should be a nice result

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #27 by jackielinz
What a day!!!! Started the day with removing all the masking tape to see how it all turn out, actually pretty happy with the result.

Then I started testing the Mr Metal paints, it looks great however buffing didn't make too much difference. May be I left it too long before started buffing?

Gloss coat then started decaling and kept going till it was all done, forgot to take any photos. I decided to try sludge wash instead of my usual pin wash. Used my "testing aircraft" Mig-29 to try it first, result was pretty good so decided to give it a go.

• jackielinz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #28 by jackielinz
ok, pretty happy with the finished product, it's been a long day, getting up in 5 hours so good night from me. :)

More
5 years 7 months ago #29 by Maarten
Very nice finish B)

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

More
5 years 7 months ago #30 by Viperbuilder
Wow, quick build. Nice job there Jackie, it looks really good.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

Moderators: Andrew