Sci-Fi & Fantasy Group Build
The main criteria for this build is to have fun!
(Build dates: Saturday 24 October 2015 - Saturday 15 October 2016)

Proudly brought to you by Kiwi Modeller in conjunction with Mighty Ape!

The Universe is vast beyond measure, and within it exists untold dimensions. Beyond these is “Te Kore” - The Nothingness. In between the reality of our existence and Te Kore “The Kiwi Modeller Sci-Fi and Fantasy Group Build”!
Parameters for this Group Build
Pretty much any subject is allowed, as long as it’s not real. Examples include Gunpla / Macross / Gundam, TV/movie models, Warhammer, Apocalypse, Steam Punk, Sci-Fi, Bio-Mechanical, Fantasy, Figurines (not based on real people). Out of box, aftermarket and scratch built all allowed. 3D printed items are also allowed but must be totally created by you, not edited from someone else’s work or had elements imported. No partially started kits or work allowed. Entrants must have been be KM members for at least 2 months. Normal vetting for any cynical entries as usual.

All entries must have a build log posted in the group build forum presenting regular progress. Judging will be by community vote and possibly guest judge (to be confirmed). Prize(s) are also to be confirmed. Entries are welcome from KM members outside of NZ and if you win a prize you just need to pay the international shipping. Voting will run for the week following the 15th October 2016, ending at midnight on the 22nd October. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote. An affordable donation to Kiwmodeller.com is always much appreciated from those participating.
Thanks, and Enjoy!
Moderators are Paul (PJNZ) & Kane (Grover)

Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Steam Punk / Bio-Mech

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #61 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic GB Possibility - Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Steam Punk / Bio-Mech
A query for the moderators...

The rules state "No partially started kits or work allowed." I have some quite old built auto kits that I'd like to butcher for parts so as to access and re-purpose some of those parts. This will include either full or partial disassembly of vehicles/parts along with paint and chrome stripping, mods as required and repaint etc.... Is this acceptable?

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJNZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #62 by jackielinz
Thanks MightApe, got this from the site today, might actually build this and the Macross VF-0S.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #63 by turtle65
Yippee,
was starting to get itchy fingers and was contemplating sneaking a couple of parts past the "official" start-line :dry: .
But now I can "officially" start.
My first attempt at this genre so a learning curve and change in mind-set.
I'm definitely looking forward to see how others approach their subjects.
Huge thanks to the team for getting this off the ground.

"No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away"

On the Bench:
Scratch - Steam Car
Scratch - Santa's sleigh
Scratch - EggCopter Ka-26
Scratch - EggPlane !

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 7 months ago #64 by grover

1/35th Battalion wrote: A query for the moderators...

The rules state "No partially started kits or work allowed." I have some quite old built auto kits that I'd like to butcher for parts so as to access and re-purpose some of those parts. This will include either full or partial disassembly of vehicles/parts along with paint and chrome stripping, mods as required and repaint etc.... Is this acceptable?

D1

D1, that should be ok. Its mostly common sense. Just make sure to record your steps in your build guide for anything you're scavenging. If your build ends up more than half of pre-built stuff you will be pushing the rules, and it depends what you do with them too. Just sticking on pre-built stuff wont be great but if you were stripping back and cleaning stuff up, re-conditioning it then its fairly obvious you're putting in the effort. I don't think you're the kind to cut corners in the search for a win. I don't know anyone on here like that really, and the community would see through it.

At the end of the day it comes down to your build log as much as anything so go for it.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #65 by grover
That looks awesome Jackie. I'll be following your build for sure.

Can't wait to see what comes out of your mind Turtle. Should be stunning

Kane

• PJNZ
  • PJNZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #66 by PJNZ

1/35th Battalion wrote: A query for the moderators...

D1

Good question D1, Yes using random parts from spares box or stripped from a previous subject is ok. So long as it's not a bunch of previously assembled parts being utilized still assembled. While on the topic of parts, it's ok to 3D print random parts using someone else's pattern so long as those parts don't constitute a major portion of the completed build. Clear as mud?

More
5 years 7 months ago #67 by Grant
Nice. :) My build will be inspired by the following picture, and the novel of course.

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'll be using this kit which I bought this week:

And a bunch of plastic and scavenged parts for the invaders. B)
Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 7 months ago #68 by Andrew
I'm still trying to decide what to build :unsure:

Got a few ideas in my head, but nothing set yet.

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
5 years 7 months ago #69 by Xtr3meNZer
Wicked :) Due to the long time frame, and other builds I want to get done, I will be participating in this next year. My plan is an apocalyptic vehicle - so Rick, I will be getting a few junkers off you in the next few months, and see what I can do with it. Will be very interesting creating something that has no boundries, and doesn't have to be accurate... just whatever you want :) It's going to be an interesting group build that's for sure.

I'm thinking "Mad Max"sh type of vehicle, muscle car that's been converted to a beast :)

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #70 by PJNZ

Grant wrote: Nice. :) My build will be inspired by the following picture, and the novel of course.

This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'll be using this kit which I bought this week:

And a bunch of plastic and scavenged parts for the invaders. B)

Brilliant Grant, I'm a fan of this tale and look forward to seeing your build come together. Lots of interesting components - ship, alien machine, water... very cool!

Mad Maxish sounds cool K2. Yeah pretty much no boundaries and no need for accuracy! :)

I know what you mean about a few ideas in the head Andrew. I have about 6 different ones so far - choosing what to focus on will be the hard part. I guess with a year there's the possibility of doing more than one..

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 7 months ago #71 by Andrew
Had a bit of an eureka moment last night :woohoo:

I was tossing up between scratchbuild, or a kit, and came across this on the Mighty Ape website

I was thinking of a Gundam kit, but the 1/144 scale was off putting, whereas 1/12 offers a bit of room for adding some extra detail :woohoo:

SWMBO has given the thumbs up for a loan to buy it, so hopefully within the next month or so I should have it B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #72 by Gary
I thought I got the last one of those, it turned up on my doorstep on Saturday :D
It was on a special so I couldn't say no, but have no fear I have no immediate plans on building it.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 7 months ago #73 by Andrew

Gary wrote: I thought I got the last one of those, it turned up on my doorstep on Saturday :D
It was on a special so I couldn't say no, but have no fear I have no immediate plans on building it.

So you're the reason I have to wait 2-3 weeks ex supplier in Japan :evil: :P :lol:

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
5 years 7 months ago #74 by Webby_NZ

Andrew wrote:

Gary wrote: I thought I got the last one of those, it turned up on my doorstep on Saturday :D

So you're the reason I have to wait 2-3 weeks ex supplier in Japan :evil: :P :lol:

I have had mine for a while and could be easily convinced to part with it as I have more than enough Gunpla to occupy a years worth of building, by someone who builds 3 times more than me :-/

Stoked to have the date brought forward, and gutted (was gonna start after redoing man cave next month), and stoked (might be able to get one done before breaking down cave)

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 7 months ago #75 by Andrew

Webby_NZ wrote:

Andrew wrote:

I have had mine for a while and could be easily convinced to part with it as I have more than enough Gunpla to occupy a years worth of building, by someone who builds 3 times more than me :-/

Stoked to have the date brought forward, and gutted (was gonna start after redoing man cave next month), and stoked (might be able to get one done before breaking down cave)

PM inbound :)

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #76 by PJNZ
That Fighting Suit should be an awesome project in 1/12 Andrew :)

More
5 years 7 months ago #77 by jackielinz
Thanks again MightyApe for the amazingly fast delivery.!

It's here, the T2 Aerial HK Machine! Who can already hear the main theme music from the movie?? haha

I don't think I can get it this shiny but will give the buffable paints a go when they arrive.

Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #78 by Xtr3meNZer
Nice :)

That is a very very shiny airship there... must be Alclads...

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #79 by grover
Awesome Jackie. Looking forward to seeing that built up.

Kane
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJNZ, jackielinz

More
5 years 7 months ago #80 by jackielinz

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Nice :)

That is a very very shiny airship there... must be Alclads...

looks like alclads with a thick gloss coat..haha

More
5 years 7 months ago #81 by Phil
Well by coincidence I have a 1:1 scale resin kit of a Starwars E11 storm trooper blaster on the way from the UK.

This might be the ideal opportunity to build it.

• PJNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #82 by PJNZ
Hey Jackie that Aerial HK Machine looks awesome! And the creating the paint job will be very cool :cheer:

Phil I look forward to seeing your 1:1 Storm Trooper Blaster. It’ll be huge won’t it?! :ohmy:

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #83 by Phil
Well, it will be the size of a real Sterling SMG! So 481mm according to google.

God knows what I will do with it... Perhaps Han's DL-44 blaster (Mauser 96) would have been a more sensible choice. Although I think they also do the larger MG34 based blaster too!
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Phil.

More
5 years 7 months ago #84 by jackielinz

PJNZ wrote: Hey Jackie that Aerial HK Machine looks awesome! And the creating the paint job will be very cool :cheer:

Phil I look forward to seeing your 1:1 Storm Trooper Blaster. It’ll be huge won’t it?! :ohmy:

Thanks PJNZ, i am waiting for some new paint to arrive, would be awesome to start this one once I finished the Macross Zero. Those paint jars have been in the post for over a week now, hopefully will be here in the next week or so

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 7 months ago #85 by grover

Phil wrote: Well, it will be the size of a real Sterling SMG! So 481mm according to google.

God knows what I will do with it... Perhaps Han's DL-44 blaster (Mauser 96) would have been a more sensible choice. Although I think they also do the larger MG34 based blaster too!

That gives me an idea. I would love to 3D design his blaster, then paint it up. Anyone know of plans I can get without searching google myself?

Kane

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #86 by Powder
I'm going to do a quick dio of DaVinci's tank with some XV century knights along side.
The kit I have is this one:
retrokitonline.net/product/da-vinci-tank/
There're just a few parts to it - assuming the fit is ok I could build it in a couple of hours.

The knights are these guys:
www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1069
(The knights are early XV century and DaVinci's tank is circa 1487- so not quite the same period but close enough for me)

But, I notice the rules state that figurines should not be based on 'real people'. I wasn't planning on painting the knights accurately and given the tank is the main focus - which is pretty much the grandfather of all sci-fi contraptions - are there any objections to me including it in the GB?

Also just noticed that Grant was planning an HG Wells Martian Tripod - Retrokit also do one of those, but of a much earlier version than the Jeff Wayne one:
retrokitonline.net/product/martian-tripod/
I also have this kit but I don't think I'd do it justice before the GB deadline. Maybe next year. :)
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Powder.

Moderators: Andrew