Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #61 by Gary
Just a little update, I didn't get much done over the weekend, I decided to organise my bench and ended up rearranging the whole room, at least now I've got twice as much work space. This week however I have managed to get the 2nd Mule painted and finished off the donkey and rider (he no longer looks like he's wearing Nikes).
Anyway here's a few pics of the Mule, I'm actually pleased with the way it came out and for once the subject is better than the photos, they have made the blending look too sharp in my opinion, the darks are more subtle in real life.

Now on to the Crew

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #62 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Looks great,would pass for a small horse :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
7 years 11 months ago #63 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Nice Ass Gary HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Na really looks good, great blending to.
Tiger

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #64 by Gary
Added some figures to set the scene, still hoping to add at least one more, the box being handed down probably isn't what's going to be in the finished product, the guy at the front is pulling something out of the front box, probably a tarp or bedding etc. Still need to do that bottom door window and add some general detritus and a small amount of dust/sand.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #65 by Gary
A quick play with an online tool

Attachments:

More
7 years 11 months ago #66 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
:cheer: Wow, great stuff, speechless!
The donkey is awesome :)
Grant

More
7 years 11 months ago #67 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Damn that's nice Gary! What else can I say!?!? There are some real nice modellers on this group.. Where did you get the blue foam from?

Paul

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #68 by Gary
Thanks Paul
I got it from Parham rubber in Hamilton, it's very expensive but sometimes you can pick up scraps and offcuts. It's really good stuff as it has a high density, I cut squares and then drill holes in it and make bottle holders for the glue as well.

More
7 years 11 months ago #69 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Beautiful build, just outstanding. That guy balancing the grenade case is brave.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 years 11 months ago #70 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Mighty fine lookin' Donkey there dude in a mighty fine lookin' diorama. Truly awesome!
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #71 by Gary

Bishop wrote: Beautiful build, just outstanding. That guy balancing the grenade case is brave.

Ah that's what it is, I assume they are German grenades? I just found it in my spares, I think it belonged to a Jerry vehicle set I once made or was given (I have boxes of scrap bits I've collected (no they aren't my uncompleted models)).

More
7 years 11 months ago #72 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen

Gary wrote: Thanks Paul
I got it from Parham rubber in Hamilton, it's very expensive but sometimes you can pick up scraps and offcuts. It's really good stuff as it has a high density, I cut squares and then drill holes in it and make bottle holders for the glue as well.

Thanks Gary, I'd like to get hold of some of the thin stuff. I think it's about 10mm and comes off a roll. It is a very good modelling tool. Great for doing brick and stone work etc.. I might look at what rubber places we have down here.

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #73 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
As the others have said, that's coming on real good Gary ;-) - hope your going to run a lead rein from the mule to the donkey, or at least a carrot on the end of the stick :lol:

"Rough as Guts Production's"
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Dads Army.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #74 by Gary
Yes I was going to make some traces from lead foil, hope they were that long?

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #75 by Gary
I opted for the "rope" instead of the "leather" traces.
I'm really struggling with how to lay down a layer of detritous without trashing the ground work. Started throwing some pigment powders around last night and almost trashed the base, might have to repaint a section. I'm going to do some research tonight to get a better idea of the levels of street grunge existed in North Africa/Tunisia/Egypt etc during that period. I've got an old man sweeping the path to put on the base as well as some posters to put up on the wall.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #76 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Still following this G1, Keep at it mate. I'm sure we can all learn something new from your fab build here . . .

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 11 months ago #77 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
This is great work Gary...I like the concept, the weathering of the 8 wheeler...can't wait to see what you come up with re: rubble etc to finish off this diao

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #78 by Gary
That makes 2 of us, I don't have a clue what to do, so I'm going to wing it tonight and hope I don't screw it up too badly.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #79 by Kiwimav
I'm sure you will do just fine...to get the mind to do what you have already done, the rest should ok, right?

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #80 by Gary
I really don't know mate, I'm an aircraft modeller, I really am just winging it, shhhh

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #81 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Ha, modelling skills should be transferable as I note yours certainly appear to be, or is that really a B24 Transformer you have there? :P :lol:

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #82 by Kiwimav
hahahaha...gotcha, but artistic flair buried within the grey matter will arise and flow forth all over your canvas...i'm sure, having seen the talent posted on here.

d2

Update In Stash:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #83 by Gary
Eureka I found the solution and I think it looks mighty fine if I don't mind saying so myself (will post photos soon). Basically I grabbed all the left over bits, spare tiles I made for the ground floor (which happen to be red clay so match the upper floor), bits of plaster I had left over from the brick and rock molds I made and threw them in my old blender I use for making pigment powders. Added some bits different pastel sticks, some weathering powders and blended it all up. It came out with lots of different sizes and textures as the different pieces broke up easier than others and the pigments colour it all in different tones.
Spread some water glue down and threw it all on, it's pretty well fixed but I think I'll airbrush some decanted hairspray on just to bind it.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #84 by Kiwimav
Awesome!...see, your artistic flair arose...look forward to the pics.

d2

Update In Stash:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #85 by Gary
Quick update as promised, added some stuff to the front storage bins that Hanz is rummaging through, My ass is now firmly strapped up......... and I've added my home blend of dust and detritus, created from ground up left overs of the diorama mixed with some art pastels. I'm also working on an old man sweeping outside what is left of his dwellings. His clothes may look out of place but before the war North Africa had been part of the English/French/Italian colonies and people dressed similarly. It wasn't unusual to see people in business suits etc in the middle of Cairo. Also added a burnt and dishevelled recruitment poster that I made and burnt.

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gary.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 11 months ago #86 by Kiwimav
very nice...like it Gary

d2

Update In Stash:

More
7 years 11 months ago #87 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Nice Gary - good to see your ass has been sorted

Spec Ops Scout.....what we do in the Shadows

On the Work Bench:
1/72 FM Millenium Falcon
1/24 Studio Scale X-Wing

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #88 by Gary
Took a bunch of photos not sure which ones I'll use, overall I'm pleased with the end result. To be honest I'm glad it's done and dusted as I was getting sick of it towards the end, losing the will to carry on.
Hope you don't mind lots of photos.

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gary.

More
7 years 11 months ago #89 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Very nice Gary,Top job all round :woohoo:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #90 by Gary
More Photos, sorry :)

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary