Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
8 years 3 months ago #31 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
That's bloomin awesome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #32 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
What Paul said Gary. Mighty fine it is.
Tiger

More
8 years 3 months ago #33 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Top job Gary,very nice weathering and construction :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #34 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Gary, really convincing, outstanding.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #35 by Gary
Quick update, decided to add some figures so I ordered all that I could which is the Masterbox set with the tank crew and donkey that everyone else seems to have used of late :)
While I wait for it to turn up I dug through my spares box and did a Dr Frankenstein creating 1 figure from 4 donors muhahah

Yeah I know he looks like Tommy Cooper, "just like that" the marks on his back are to align him after testing the fit in the turret. It was a right pain putting him in the turret and I had to break off all the aerial parts and the doors to shoe horn him in.

Next up it was time to play with my new rolling machine, basically it can roll pieces of clay and putty etc up to about 6" wide and will press it down to under a millimeter thick. This takes a bit of practice and you need the right materials as air drying clay "frays" as it dries, I couldn't oven back the model for normal clay so instead I used a two part epoxy material called ProCreate (yeah sounds dirty I know). People swear by it but I've either got a bad batch or it just sucks (or I do), every time I've tried to use it it just stays rubber and this time was no different but it didn't matter on this occasion.

The eyelets are punched lead foil with a pin pushed through to form the eye, these were fixed with CA.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Gary.

More
8 years 3 months ago #36 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Looking awesome Gary! I really like the soot and dirtiness on the back, really gives it that realistic used look.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
8 years 3 months ago #37 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Yeh very nice Gary.
Can you share with us how you painted the tarp, as the affect is very good.
Thanks Grant

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #38 by Gary
Thanks all for your kind words. It's a really simple method that's more old school really.
First up I put a light tan base coat down I used a Mr Color lacquer paint as I had it to hand.
I This is followed by a wash to define the creases which helps with the next stage
Using Oil paints I applied a darker shade to the creases and a lighter shade to the high points, I then used a bigger brush to blend the different shades until it "looked" right. A Hair dryer helped to considerably speed up the drying process, I then blasted it with a matte coat.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
8 years 3 months ago #39 by Tiger
Looking great Gary. Tarp looks flippin awesome and your figure looks good to.
Tiger

More
8 years 3 months ago #40 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Thanks Gary, on the how-to painting guide for tarps!
I will try something along this line for my land rover tarp.
cheers Grant

More
8 years 3 months ago #41 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
B) excellent detail by adding the eyelets

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #42 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Damn . . . . .nice tarp. Damn :unsure:

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #43 by Gary
Wassup? :blink:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #44 by 1/35th Battalion
:lol: That's GOOD . . . Damn

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 3 months ago #45 by Gary
Ah thought I'd missed something on the tarp, was thinking of adding some "ropes" and thread them through the eyelets but can't make my mind up.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #46 by Gary
I've done a fair bit more since the last update, starting with the base which I made from recycled wood (it was our old fence, so the wood is around 40 years old). I joined 3 planks, sanded, planed, and routed etc.
I'm having to do this on my old PC so not going to write much, it's still work in progress I need to add windows to the bottom door, finish the mules add more figures etc.

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gary.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #47 by Gary
More photos, I'll take some better quality photos later, still lots more to do.

More
8 years 1 month ago #48 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
Dust, needs more dust to match the 223. This is going to rock mate.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #49 by Gary
Thanks Tony
I've struggled with the dust and can't seem to get it right on the road, I've resprayed the road a couple of times already (suggestions on dust welcome here). Only got 2 weeks left will see what I can do, had to read up on donkeys and mules, got a good book by Bill Horan on modelling horses. I didn't realise they are lighter underneath than they are on the top, and the hair direction etc.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago #50 by 1/35th Battalion
Now where did I see that Ass, ah, Donkey before? Hmmmmm and the fella on it's back.

Now you may understand why MY Donkey took around 16 layers of paint and finessing.

Dust 'n Dirt may be best rendered with the real thing. Or something with texture. A fine layer of Tamiya Diorama Texture paint - SOIL EFFECT > Light Earth or Sand.
Or a really light dose of Mr Surfacer 500, a short stiff brush, Stipple effect it, Several misted layers of Some Sand coloured paint ending with really light random patching of the sand colour lightened. Glad Wrap the Surface whilst still moist and run the Rad 8 over it to where it will sit. < Best done prior to Paint
As the area you're parking the vehicle has been used for centuries, it will be hard packed, but there is always a layer of moving sand that a vehicle will leave a track in. The Not Quite NorthAfrikan Building is so very close to working too. :side:

Looks like it's going to be a good scene though. :dry:

I guess I'll leave my final entry to the last moment next time to watch see what every other bugger is doing just so I can make those wee adjustments to make mine better>>> :whistle:

Competitive Basstid - who said that?? Oh yeah, ME!! :evil: :lol:

D1

On the Bench:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #51 by Gary
I've used oil paints on both my animals, it's easier to blend and gives a good basis for the hair direction. The base is already textured you just can't see it really, I used sculptamold and a stiff brush to stipple it. The building is all airbrushed except the doors which again are in oil colours, yeah not a lot of choice for figures so didn't have much else to use.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago #52 by 1/35th Battalion
AHHH And dust over EVERYTHING Else too!! The rubble the building, the pathway, the rider and animals, much less so. Some of the very light sandy colour I have used is Woodland Scenics> Earth Color Kit. Rally thinned and perhaps half dozen layers really really thinned acrylics.
Spray the building and rubble et al from 20cm or so very light misting, allow to set and vary the colour and do it again and again. my two bobs worth.

D1

On the Bench:

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #53 by Gary
Towns in North Africa aren't actually that dusty (at least not all the one's I've seen, while "travelling"), it's not a house out in the desert or next to an oasis, it's a townhouse in Tunisia (or that part of the world) on the outskirts of town. It's going to have some dust but not over everything, there's not that many sandstorms in that part of the world.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #54 by Gary
Iv'e got a number of resin civilians that I won off TM, I got a whole box of them including the donkey, I think it was about 60 figures in all.
From what I've seen from period photos is that the dress and surrounding was typical art deco and still influenced by the 1930's.
I have an old man wearing a waistcoat and a flat cap sweeping, I want to put him outside the house near the corner sweeping up the mess outside his house. I'll put a German soldier packing away gear on to the truck and another putting away bedroles or something in the ruins of the house. Basically the story is that after a night sleeping in the ruins of the house the commander after washing up (hence his clean arms D1 :P ) is asking for directions to the next town from the old Donkey man and his mule who is heading to the local market/bizarre to sell his wares.

More
8 years 1 month ago #55 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
I'm liking this one a lot Gary! :whistle:

More
8 years 1 month ago #56 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
:) Nice work G1 looks good :)

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #57 by Gary
Thanks guys, PC is back for the weekend (needs to go back for a new Motherboard) so might have some minor updates or close up photos to add.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #58 by Dads Army
Replied by Dads Army on topic Tamiya SdKfz 232 Schwerer Panzerspahwagen
How did you "break" the windows Gary?

Gary wrote:

Looking really good so far, nice touch with the base :)

"Rough as Guts Production's"
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Dads Army.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #59 by Gary
The kit didn't come with windows, so I used some clear plastic sheeting I had in the spares box and cut some squares to match the window openings. I then drilled out the centers and cut the jagged bits with a knife, I then created crisscross patterns to simulate shattered but not fully broken glass. The middle windows is little bits of clear plastic I cut and then individually glued in place to give a bit of individuality to the panes. Although you can't see it in any of the shots here, I also cut up tiny bits of plastic in to little jagged shapes and sprinkled them on the balcony to represent the broken glass, I then drizzled some Klear to stick them down, wicking off the excess with a cotton bud.
Yeah the first shot shows the different planks of wood I jointed, I left them just like that underneath so that people could see where the wood came from and also to let the wood "breathe", everything is drilled and pinned in to the board so I can actually turn the whole thing upside down to show people.

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gary.

More
8 years 1 month ago #60 by Tiger
Really nice Gary.
Tiger

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary