Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by Gary
Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce was created by Gary
I started this a few weeks back and I've been picking it up doing a bit and putting it down again. There's so much that I want to do on this that it's a bit overwhelming.

The kit itself is the kit from way back when, with raised lines and chunky moldings etc, for it's day it was a very good kit and as Mr Paine showed everyone it could be turned in to something really nice. I bought this one as a job lot along with another old monogram kit the B-24 Liberator.
There's no box they just came together in bags.

I bought the Truedetails interior sets for this, cockpit, bombadier area, waist gun, I added to this bits from Eduard, Exterior set, extended landed flaps (these are a bitch to make), 4 x Wright Cyclone R-1820's from Vector finish the list (for now). I bought a set of True detail weighted wheels but as it's going to be a flying model I'll be getting the Eduard resin replacements.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
Been busy grinding the interior out and replacing it with resin, it's been hard work but it's starting to look good. There was plenty of swearing when it came to the building the resin parts as the instructions are very very sketchy at best.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
Number One G.I. :woohoo:

Tony lee

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
And add a WOW to that too. Plenty to keep you busy there G1, and frustrated and annoyed then really Chuffed.
Now how much of that wicked interior detail is going to be seen boss? :whistle:
I look forward to seeing how this baby grows up.

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by Gary
By the time I've added some holes and battle damage I'm hoping to reveal a fair amount. I've got some sheets of very fine aircraft aluminium sheets (way finer than the finest coke cans), I intend to grind out some of the plastic "panels" and replace them with aluminium parts so that I can better simulate tearing metal, as the sheets are so fine they are probably in scale as well. I'm still struggling to find 15th Airforce decals (everything is for Western or Pacific theaters), worst case scenario is I end up building an 8th Airforce Fortress and putting something else in for the group build, but that decision is a long way off yet.

More
8 years 5 months ago #6 by Fritz
Replied by Fritz on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
Wow Gary that looks outstanding! I can't wait to see it finished. Very keen to see how the tearing metal and battle damage turns out

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
8 years 5 months ago #7 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
Like David said, plent to keep you busy there Gary. Swearing's just part of the course ai thought :-)
Looking great

More
8 years 5 months ago #8 by de3freak
Replied by de3freak on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
:) ... Greetings ... :) :
Very interesting project you have there, you can be sure I will be watching this one. I personally love that model, I do not have any with me, three were built upon commision, two are mine or rather WERE , my parent's have them. I am interested on builiding two B-17F ( Memphis Belle ) in dioramas. One for my daughter an the other for me, even as much as I love the Monograms models, very much this one, I respectfully ask - What is your or any forum members opinion on the B-17F made by Revell ? Is this in some way very much the Monogram product, taking the fact that it is at least by modelers known as REVELL/MONOGRAM.
Thank you for sharing with us this WIP, you have my attention ... :) .

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #9 by Gary
Thanks all.
The Revell model is as far as I know the same molding as this one with the exception that the Memphis Belle is molded in that horrible green plastic. I thought that the latest offerings had recessed panel lines but they don't seem to have either, I don't know if the "F" is any different.

Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Gary.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #10 by Gary
I'm kind of stuck/stalled at the moment, the B-17 is stalled and won't be ready in time, I've lost interest in the 1/24 Panzer, started a PZk 253 thing with all the extras that's 30% and looking good need to take some photos of it, but I'm floundering a bit, so I picked up a 1/32 Spitfire and started that.
I keep picking stuff up starting it and putting it back down, also got a 1/32 P-39 on the go and a couple of other things.
The B-17 is stalled as I can't find enough references for 15th Airforce B-17s in North Africa so I might change it to somewhere in England as it will be easier to do the Dio for as well.
Overall I've lost my way a bit, I'm looking forward to winter so I can slow down with the landscaping at home and spend some time in the dungeon :)

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 2 months ago #11 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Monogram 1/48 B-17G 15th Airforce
Vee kannot be helt responzible vor zee heat strokink dileriumz :whistle:

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary