• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago #31 by Wally
Thanks for those pictures David.
Opel Blitz kitset arrived today so I may get to work on it alongside my Wairarapa Wildcat started in the meantime.
I thought I had taken some pics of HalfTrack & Afrika Korps figures after decaling & painting respectively but it turns out I hadn't.
HalfTrack will look fairly much as shown here but with decals, some more weathering and ultimately a matt coat. These individual plastic track links (plus straight sections) are no fun for me to assemble but give a reasonably good effect (I reckon, for an AFV amateur). But here's a strange thing, everything is correct about the assembly of this and yet there is a much bigger gap between the drive sprocket and first wheel on one side than the other ... it's wierd and I cannot work out how it has occurred -

Anyhow, I'll post some more pictures of HalfTrack when I get started on the Opel (which I notice recommends RLM 79 Sandgelb as the basic colour. That's probably what HalfTrack should be too) Til then -

Cheers,
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #32 by Glenn
Good progress on the 250 Wally,maybe some red oxideand grey chipping,I use a small piece of scotch brite pad,brush a even layer of paint on some card,dip scotchie into paint,then couple of dabs on the card and then start chipping away,she will look sweet dusted up :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #33 by Dads Army
Looking good Wally!!
With that gap between the wheels - it looks like the spacing between the last and second to last (idler?) wheels on right hand side is larger than the spacing on the left hand side which could explain the difference. Hard to tell from the angle of the photo's though.

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago #34 by Wally
I've started on my 1/48 Opel Blitz. Nice little kitset. I see there's a couple of 1/35th being built on here at present too.

It appears the whole thing should be Panzer Grey but I only have Xtracrylix which frankly has trouble attaching to plastic much less the die-cast chassis. So I am only painting the chassis a self-mixed version using mostly Humbrol 224 Dark Slate Grey. The rest can be Aeromaster RLM 79 Sandgelb with some undercoat colour added back in at the chipping & weathering stage.
This has turned into such a major project I am a little short of mojo for it again but I'm sure once I get back to it later today I'll be fine. [Once I start applying Aeromaster paint ... that makes it all worthwhile!]
Another thing I wasn't expecting in the Italeri kitset was them darned vinyl tyres!

I can't seem to get any kind of paint to attach to them.
Still gotta wreck and paint my P-40 Tomahawk and do all the groundwork & dio building. The end is not in sight.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
8 years 2 months ago #35 by Andrew
Looking good Wally :)

It looks as if the Italeri kit suffers the same issues as the Tamiya 1/35 version, knock out marks on the wooden decking :S

You may have to weather the tyres with a pigment after you apply the final clear flat coat?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago #36 by Wally
Hi Andrew,
Yes, the 1/48 Italeri kit does have those knock out marks which I have done nothing about. Italeri and Tamiya seem to share some kitsets, notably the 1/48 Flak 88 (is it) that Tamiya use as part of their 1/48 Siege of Torbruk set.
My Opel Blitz has progressed a lot. I scuffed up the interior, attempting to copy the apparent red undercoat colour, and added what stowage I could from the kitsets involved. This will not really be seen anyhow, except the tailgate will be down -

And here it is more-or-less finished apart from decals and some more weathering. The latter will occur once the diorama is sorted out -

I resolved not to buy any more WW2 German paint colours and the references on Italeri's instructions are confused ( and I think incorrect), so I mixed my own "Lichtgrun" for the canvas back cover and "Field Green" for the blotching. These are probably way incorrect ...?
Perhaps I'll make my diorama scene occur in the middle of a sandstorm to cover up the multiple inaccuracies that are arising ...
And so I turn now to crashing the P-40 and building the diorama base ...
See yous next time
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
8 years 2 months ago #37 by azaminis
Fantastic Wally.

Kraft durch Freude:Strength through joy.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago #38 by Wally
Really!?
Well thank you very much azaminis. I'll take heart from your feedback.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
8 years 2 months ago #39 by Bishop
Just caught up with this. Great great stuff so far Wally. I love the shot way back where the guy is standing on the wing with one arm up and one arm on the wing. Reminded me of Monty Python for some reason.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
8 years 2 months ago #40 by Tiger
Coming along nicely there Wally.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #41 by Wally
Thanks Tiger and Bishop ... I think ... I hadn't thought of any Monty Pythonesque allusions but yes, "Your arm's off"
I forgot to include the KM logo in any of these shots, sorry 'bout that ...
I've often said one needs "nerves of steel" in this modelling game and none moreso than when poking heated pins and needles through ones precious builds -

or melting parts of them with a cigarette lighter -

The cannon holes are way too big for scale but my justification is dramatic effect. AK390 has been blasted by (presumably ME109) cannon shells and zippered with machine gun bullets. I absolutely loved painting the sun-faded Desert Air Force scheme in AeroMaster Dk Earth & Mid Stone over Azure and also paint enhancing all the damage -

It sits quite nicely on its damaged cowling & starboard landing gear cover and strut. I didn't go as far as shredded fabric or underlying frame this time but will do so on other projects in future having gotten this far.

A word in review-style about the kitset. This recent "Aces of North Africa" release by Academy is a great little unpretentious and cheap 1/48 scale kitset. The older Hobbycraft moldings still stand up fairly well, there is sufficient detail and the Cartograf decals are accurate for 4 options. A nice touch is the Dark Green background behind the serial numbers because the Mid Stone was applied over the original Dark Green except where the serials were. The options available allowed me to splice together the correct serial for my aircraft - AK390. The kitset gets my recommendation.
However I did mix up my decals a bit because I had some 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter upper wing roundels which had a nice 'faded' look to them and some 1/72 MPM Hudson fuselage & lower wing roundels which I took to be thinner. The 'W' code letter is Colorado Decals RAF Grey code letters & numbers.
Presently at the 2nd gloss coat stage along with all other components of the diorama, the base of which is my next task.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: more words & pics

More
8 years 2 months ago #42 by eyepaule

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 2 months ago #43 by CyNaKyL
Certainly looks like it's been shot to hell. The bent prop, oil stains, bullet holes and damaged cowling all come together really well to portray a shot down aircraft. Top notch!

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
8 years 2 months ago #44 by Tiger
Very Cool ! :)

More
8 years 2 months ago #45 by Maarten
Looking GOOD,i like a nice wreck!

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #46 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Wally's North Africa GB - "Shot down near El Adem" diorama
Shikes, all shot to sh....mithereens. Lucky to get out of that one. Lookin' suitably wrecked . . .

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 2 months ago #47 by Wally
Thanks for the +ve feedback guys. I've begun the diorama base but have nothing much to show of it yet. It looks like a rectangle of white polystyrene foam atop a rectangle of plywood.
While the PVA is drying I finished painting my wounded Aussie pilot, F/O W (Bill) Kloster (and I really must get me a magnifying visor)

and attached (oversized?) gun sights, aerial and pitot tube to the P-40 and gave it, Opel Blitz and Half-Track a spray of that magic substance Testors Dullcote.

Hoping to progress the diorama base fairly rapidly over the next few days.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 1 month ago #48 by Wally
Some progress shots of my diorama base. I have zero dollars more to spend on this so it turned into a PVA Paper Mache ground and then I forgot even what little I know about building dioramas, like painting the base before applying the sand -

This is really when it looked it's best and the most like desert I now believe, but I overkilled it adding fine ballast in an attempt to enhance the 'skid marks' and with mixed rubble for rocks (literally that from my driveway). The result is the surface detail has gotten out of scale too large I think -

- so I won't show you any extreme close ups at this stage, but here it is with the aircraft and two vehicles just sitting in place mocked up -

I know I'm not going to build it again but what else I do I'm not sure right now. Maybe paint the surface in sandier colours?
Awaiting German Infantry figures - which have to be built and painted - and final placement and fixing of everything plus treatment of the foam edge and some wooden beading (or whatever you call it) around the bottom plywood edge.
Oh dear, when was that extension until!?
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
8 years 1 month ago #49 by CyNaKyL
A couple of months was the extension, so you've got till the 1st of july. Looking good so far, it's definitely coming together now. I agree with the before shot looking a lot more desert like than the one with the plane etc on it, unless it was somewhere like death valley for instance. Still looks good though.

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

More
8 years 1 month ago #50 by Dads Army
Yeah, I like it Wally. It looks very realistic and from what I understand the desert is quite rocky. I reckon your spot on!!
The plane and pilot look great too - looking forward to seeing your German figures :-)

"Rough as Guts Production's"

More
8 years 1 month ago #51 by eyepaule
I agree with the others wally. It's looking great :cheer:

More
8 years 1 month ago #52 by Gary
Yes officially it's now 1st of July, I'll put something in the main thread to this affect.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #53 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic Wally's North Africa GB - "Shot down near El Adem" diorama
That is looking GREAT Wally.
The desert varies sooo much that what you have done looks just like some areas actually do.
Some areas are just plain sand dunes but much of the area is hilly, rocky and rough ground. And much to anyones suprise, there is quite a bit of stuff that's growing out there too. Several varieties of trees, low thorny scrub, and a wide variety of hardy long grasses etc which tend to grow in clumps.
And snakes and skorpions and thingys too . . .

Lookin' forward to seeing the end result B)

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
8 years 1 month ago #54 by Fritz
Looking awesome Wally! I reckon it looks awesome with the rocks added. Gives it a bit more substance.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
8 years 1 month ago #55 by Tiger
Looks great Wally, love your work.
Tiger

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #56 by Wally
Thought I had taken a "reel" (so to speak) of the diorama base progress but the pics ain't there ...
Tamiya 1/48 WW2 German Infantry arrived and I painted them up in the same Afrika Korps colours indicated in the Afrika Korps set, with some variation after consulting my Reader's Digest Illustrated History of WW2, which shows a remarkable assortment of tunics, trousers, helmets and caps and, thankfully, plenty of jackboots (which all the soldiers are wearing). There are also 5 Tank Crew in this excellent set - some great poses - and I couldn't help building the 4 complete Tank Crew figures, one being only a half-man for a turret hatch. I used Tamiya acrylic Matt Clear on them but they were still kinda shiny so then I gave them a coat of Humbrol Mattcote and they were about the same so I made a base for them because they all have little pins in their feet and sprayed them with Dullcote. (I feel no closer to a definitive decision on Matt Clear Coat than before ...)

I've read Shep Paine's book but I can't remember what he said about connecting figures to the base. These pins worked quite well though and pretty much everything got them, equipment, vehicles and aircraft included -

To my amazement, last night I got everything positioned (but didn't take progress shots because of the colour balance issue from my desk lamp at night) -

I guess the idea is that the Reconnaisance Half-Track has arrived first but the over-zealous commander of the Opel Blitz infantry squad is taking over the scene. Meanwhile, out of shot, a tank has also arrived and some of its crew, including a senior commander, have walked up to have a look at proceedings.
This morning I am re-evaluating some of the placement, especially the 2 soldiers running towards the unprotected right flank designated by the Opel's grille.
One or two others may be repositioned in order to tighten the focus. Even the ones I've fixed with Craft Superglue on the pins are relatively easy to reposition and the holes to fill or cover. My feeling is it is not quite tightly focused enough on the aircraft and pilot, both of which are being captured.
Comments welcome.
I have some finishing touches to do. The aircraft needs to have pushed some more sand & rubble forward, the mg crew needs some disturbed sand where they climbed the dune and got into position etc etc. I usually designate a "final touch" and in this case it will be the cementing of the radio aerial to the Half-Track.
Cheers,
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Wally. Reason: minor corrections

More
8 years 1 month ago #57 by Gary
I like it the way it is mate, looks full of action.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
8 years 1 month ago #58 by Tiger
Great scene Wally. Your figures look great as dose the whole dip.
Tiger

More
8 years 1 month ago #59 by grunzter
Yeh, very good.
I thought a few figures would make an appearance, but a whole army showed up... looks great!
Grant

More
8 years 1 month ago #60 by eyepaule
He hee, look at all those wee men running around! :lol: Bold move Wally, but it's alive and I like it :cheer:

Paul

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary