Throwing my hat in the ring with Italeri's reissued 'Twin Huey' . Not adding any extras nor after-market decals. Hopefully a straight-forward OoB project that will look like this at the end of the process:
Great stuff - Hueys are the best choppers ever IMO.
And, what a coincidence, just this afternoon I was looking through some old holiday photos I have of a Fiat F-86K - that has a leaping cat insignia on the tail. I then went on an unsuccessful hunt for decals to match (Stormo 51 is the squadron apparently) - and there's that cat again on the tail of your Huey
(Legend has it that the cat is pouncing on three green mice which was the insignia for an Italian bomber squadron that Stormo 51 had a friendly rivalry with)
So now that the 'joys' of the Easter break are behind us and 'Daddies little stormtroopers' are back in school, I can share where the 'Twin Huey' is up to right now.
Just four pieces make-up the clutch-plate and lower hub/shaft assembly. Painted as I remember the one I almost got a check-flight in when I was in the States some years back.
Internals part-done. Seat belts are from masking tape with plastic card buckles, yes the seats-cushions were bright red, as they're designed to float in the event of an overwater ditching. Just some simple 'old-skool' dry-brushing brings the knobs and switches to life. And my 'top-tip' for avoiding classic helo model tail sitting... Just add money under the floor pan.
grover wrote: Nice start Ian. Is that front fit a bit off or just loosely held together?
I'm going to cut a 'shim' of plastic card and CA it around the inside nose join to help it together. When I come to glue the fuse halves together, I'll start at the nose, let it set overnight and then bring the rest together later. Many, many years ago, I built the Revell 1:32 Huey and it had exactly the same issue at the front end but back in those days I had no idea how to fix it.
It's a tricky one.
Is it an option to cut the nose sections from the fuselage halves (down from the corner of the windscreen and across the floor) - it might be easier to work on the nose alone - then reattach as an assembly.
Nope, we're all good. Nose halves match without a prob. I finished-off the interior this a'noon and have taped the fuse halves together again. Fitted fine and all looks promising for the big join-up tomorrow.
Main doors tack-glued in to place, all windows masked, centreline seam all rubbed down - no filler needed - and polished-back with successive grades of Micro-Mesh pads. Ready for primer coat tomorrow after taking No2 daughter to camp, and a couple of morning meetings !!
Tamiya XF-13 J.A. Green & XF-24 Dark Grey, the lower light grey is the previously mentioned Tamiya acrylic primer, close enough to my eye !!. Next I'll buff and polish the paint and spray two medium coats of X-22 Clear ready for decals.