Open to all scales 1//144 - 1/32. Aftermarket and scratch built additions welcome.
Start Date: 21st December 2015
End Date: 22nd September 2016

No Cost, but donations welcome to Kiwimodeller
Winner by public vote. Minimum 5 pictures of finished model to be submitted to relevant thread for judging.

Moderators IAN and Andrew

GB - F-14 Tomcat - Discussion, Rules and Entries Thread

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks

Poll: F-14 Tomcat GB Entry

Yes, I wish to enter
23 100%
Total number of voters: 23 ( Jason, F1xena, RED, Dangermouse84, Craig Sargent ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #61 by Kiwimav

love it....the need for speed, hell yeah!!!!

www.facebook.com/groups/72365294899/

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Kiwimav.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #62 by Flying_Kiwi

Andrew wrote: I'll fly wingman for you Ian B)

owing to the theme i'm astounded nobody picked up on this.... so i'm going to...

"Bullsh*t Andrew,....you can be mine...."

Maverick to Iceman last scene?? ...carrier deck??? anyone???

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

More
5 years 8 months ago #63 by Flying_Kiwi

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #64 by Gary
If this is going to happen I need start and end dates, rules and anything else you can think of. As soon as I get that I'll create a new forum for it, also need a cool picture for the topics page (see the Group Builds menu item under "Forums" above).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
5 years 8 months ago #65 by Xtr3meNZer
someone should do the volleyball scene next to a parked up F-14 - just for lolz

• Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 8 months ago #66 by Andrew

Gary wrote: I need start and end dates, rules and anything else you can think of. As soon as I get that I'll create a new forum for it,

Start Date: 21st December 2015

End Date: 22nd September 2016

Open to all scales 1//144 - 1/32. Aftermarket and scratchbuilt additions welcome

No Cost, but donations welcome to Kiwimodeller

Winner by public vote. Minimum 5 pictures of finished model to be submitted to relevant thread for judging

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woadism

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 8 months ago #67 by Andrew

Flying_Kiwi wrote:

owing to the theme i'm astounded nobody picked up on this.... so i'm going to...

"Bullsh*t Andrew,....you can be mine...."

Maverick to Iceman last scene?? ...carrier deck??? anyone???

:lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 8 months ago #68 by Andrew
I'm leaning toward VF-101 using a Hobbyboss kit

Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #69 by jackielinz
Boom! I am ready to go now! Can't wait...
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #70 by Fritz

Andrew wrote: I'm leaning toward VF-101 using a Hobbyboss kit

Now that's a very cool scheme, I say do it!

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

More
5 years 8 months ago #71 by IAN
OK folks, this looks like it's generating a shed-load of enthusiasm and that's GREAT.

But here's a thing, remember the start-up date isn't until the 21st December, so no jumping-the-gun !! - Get your decals, references, etch sets, kits'n bits together now if you haven't started already but don't be tempted to paint those missiles or glue those seats together, remember this isn't a sprint, it's a year long Group Build ;)

On or after the start date, start your 'progress thread' in the usual way with a 'date stamp picture' - your kit box, opened with a newspaper, or your mobile phone alongside showing the date (or any other proof of the date), then some progress shots as usual, it's up to you guys how many you post there's no limit.

That's all we can think of for now - Keep the idea-flow happening it's great to see so many excited about this GB.

AFN

Ian & Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #72 by Craig Sargent

Andrew wrote: I'm leaning toward VF-101 using a Hobbyboss kit

That's the scheme I'm doing on my 1/32 Tamiya kit, but that won't be part of this GB as it is nearly fully assembled. Let me know if you want references or details, but guessing you probably have lots. Will you be doing the demo loadout the jet was photographed carrying?

On The Bench (2021)
Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt
Tamiya 1/32 F-14B Tomcat conversion
Hasegawa 1/72 F-104S Starfighter
Hasegawa 1/72 UH-60A Yanshuf conversion
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Craig Sargent.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
5 years 8 months ago #73 by Andrew

Craig Sargent wrote: That's the scheme I'm doing on my 1/32 Tamiya kit, but that won't be part of this GB as it is nearly fully assembled. Let me know if you want references or details, but guessing you probably have lots. Will you be doing the demo loadout the jet was photographed carrying?

Sweet, Id be keen for any reference and details B) Still undecided on loadout, but leaning toward the demo one.

More
5 years 8 months ago #74 by Xtr3meNZer
Hmm... pulled out my kit of the F14A - it's a tad old lol! I think I might go with the newer one, and take up on the offer... I'm sure it will build well though, the Monogram one I have.

Maybe I'll get a new one, and build them together??

More
5 years 8 months ago #75 by Woadism
I think I'm not the first to admit a poor group build track record... but I'll give it a go - this one has a decent stretch!

I took advantage of the discount Moeggo arranged, wandered for about an hour there and an hour back because it's the other side of town to me (but it was a really nice day!) and got myself the F-14A in 48th.

Very appreciated Mo. Bring on December!
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #76 by RED
Hi Guys

think this is the first time I've been around for about 2 odd years ...... sorry

but would love to join the group build (although I already have one on the "in progress" shelf

just picked up a 1/72 HB F-14A kit and looking at doing it in either VF 142 Ghostriders or VF 111 Sundowners

Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 8 months ago #77 by grover
Awesome RED. You were around before I got here but good to see you back :)

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117
The following user(s) said Thank You: RED

More
5 years 8 months ago #78 by Moeggo
yea I will be in with a Sundowners scheme...

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
5 years 8 months ago #79 by Kiwimav
Sundowners is my vote

Dave

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
5 years 8 months ago #80 by CyNaKyL
I'll be in, most likely Revell 1/48 F-14 with fightertown decals for the below scheme...

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Attachments:

More
5 years 8 months ago #81 by jackielinz
Hi guys, I want to share this story with you. If you have been following my post regarding the Jolly Rogers sheme F-14A entry to the group build, you wouldve seen that i got the wrong decal set to start with then i ordered another set from US. I first tried to order via ebay but the page didnt allow the item to be shipped to my address but for some reason ebay recorded the item as sold. Due to ebay refuse to ship to me i went and got it directly from the site.

Days later i started to get emails from ebay and paypal to chase me for payment. I contacted the seller who couldve just said that it was my mistake and forced the sale. Instead he spent days communicating with me and ebay to get this ebay problem sorted. Seller like this is rare these days, hes got every right to just refer to the rules and got another sale. I want to share this site with you not only because they have some awesome decals for this GB but also for the outstanding service. Check this site out.
camdecals.com/index.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary, RED, grover, Xtr3meNZer

More
5 years 8 months ago #82 by Grant
I just picked up a cheap 1/48 Italeri F-14a for this build. I'll probably just build it out of the box. B)

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #83 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic GB - F-14 Tomcat - Discussion, Rules and Entries Thread

Grant wrote: I just picked up a cheap 1/48 Italeri F-14a for this build. I'll probably just build it out of the box. B)

I have the same kit Grant and am tempted to jump in as well with it, but have quite a few different projects I'd like to do and my attention span is all over the place at times. :woohoo:
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Von Drinkoften.

More
5 years 8 months ago #84 by jimmy07

Von Drinkoften wrote: I have the same kit Grant and am tempted to jump in as well with it, but have quite a few different projects I'd like to do and my attention span is all over the place at times. :woohoo:

Dooo it!

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
More
5 years 8 months ago #85 by F1xena
Do the yellow one! Everyone and their brother is doing Sundowners. :P I prefer the VF142, in fact I built that exact aircraft years ago....perhaps a Monogram kit in 1/48?

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 8 months ago #86 by grover
I did that one as a kid too. I'm sure it was the monogram one too, but I never finished because the body was warped. My dad took it back to the importer who replaced it with an f111 so I never have finished an f14.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #87 by Taylor
Oh I can see this group build going horribly wrong because already I can see problems with peoples facts on the F-14. 22nd of September 2006 was actually the official decommissioning of the F-14 at a Ceremony at NAS Ocean in Virginia. The actual last flight of a US Navy F-14 was actually the 4th of October 2006 when AJ101 of VF-31 Tomcatters (Bureau Number 164603) flew from Ocean to Fermingdale Airport in Long Island and was then towed to the former Grumman Factory site at Bethpage.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Taylor.

More
5 years 8 months ago #88 by Taylor

Webby_NZ wrote: If we wanted long we could go through to the last flight date 22 September
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat

Thats a long time so what about May 16th, thats almost 6 months and
The 30th anniversary of the release of Top Gun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gun

Oh I can see this group build going horribly wrong because already I can see problems with peoples facts on the F-14. 22nd of September 2006 was actually the official decommissioning of the F-14 at a Ceremony at NAS Ocean in Virginia. The actual last flight of a US Navy F-14 was actually the 4th of October 2006 when AJ101 of VF-31 Tomcatters (Bureau Number 164603) flew from Ocean to Fermingdale Airport in Long Island and was then towed to the former Grumman Factory site at Bethpage.

More
5 years 8 months ago #89 by Taylor

grover wrote: I was looking up stuff on YouTube about the Hasegawa Tomcats and I stumbled across a video where I recognised the host. Didn't know you had a channel Taylor. You're going to have to do a build too now :)

I've only just stumbled across this GB so I guess I could rustle something up!!! Got a couple of cats I've been wanting to pull out so now's as good a time as any I guess. Yes that's was me in that aweful video!!

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #90 by IAN

With respect, I don't see that the 12 days difference in those quoted dates as a trigger for the GB going "horribly wrong". Unless of course I've mis-understood the subtle sub-text and this was meant as ironic/funny...

Ian.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Gary.

Moderators: Andrew