• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 months ago #31 by Wally
No worries whatsoever Gaz. Fine by me.
If such information is at home and not in 'town' where my internet connection is, I tend to guess from memory.
Didn't make time to look it up on the spot which I guess I could easily have done online.
Same happened when my Seafire III arrived. I guessed 285 Sqn RAF when it will actually be 885 Sqn.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 months ago #32 by Wally
Things are progressing at a fairly slow pace as I work on various sub-assemblies, cockpit, wheel bays and wings, bomb bay, undercarriage.
I used the Eduard instrument panel parts but not the film, which completely obscured the dials. Each one has had a dot of KM Klear and will get at least one more -

The other cockpit parts all painted up nicely & I added the Eduard seat belts -

I am quite annoyed with Aires though. Their bomb bay requires fairly major surgery on the resin part itself for which there is no instruction whatsoever. I fitted the kitset wing pillars before I found out it even needs the width adjusted by quite a lot, for which there really isn't sufficient wall depth. Fitting the kitset cockpit parts requires a major step to be created in the front -

Though I am probably being overcareful all this took me about 5 hours using bench grinder again, files and sand paper. Even after all this I will be 'crushing' it into the fuselage somewhat. The halves will close but only under some considerable pressure.
Intermittently I did some more work on the wheel bays based on walkaround photos downloaded from the net -

Otherwise, I'd never have known the two pronounced 'tubes' at the back are actually long springs, apparently prone to rust (or red primed?) -

Mine need lightening in colour maybe?
Once painted the bomb bay begins to look quite good. This is still a mock up. I will smoke and define the interior more before finally fitting the cannon -

And progress begins to show up as the bench clears a bit of some sub-assemblies -

to be replaced by others like landing gear -

I love this kitset and, despite my resin related complaints, I'm enjoying the build immensely.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 3 months ago #33 by IAN
Lots of good work here, Wally. Keep it going, friend.

Ian

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 3 months ago #34 by CyNaKyL
Looking good there alright Wally, the cockpit is definitely a bit more "full compared" to the standard FB.
Re those strut things at the back of the landing gear bays, I think a dry brush with something like hull red or similar will lighten and redden them enough to be pretty similar to what the photo shows....

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 months ago #35 by Wally
I more-or-less did exactly that Gaz, with a self-mixed browny-red. Those "strut things" are definitely long springs. I also finished painting details in the bomb bay, fitted the cannon - which involved cutting off their barrels - and attached the remaining Eduard Zoom in the cockpit -

With a bit of luck I'll close the fuselage up tonight.
I may have to pause this build for a time ... I feel the Monastery at Cassino bearing down on me ....
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Attachments:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 months ago #36 by Wally
After innumerable test fittings and adjustments I attached the Tamiya kitset cockpit parts to the Aires bomb bay -

And "ready to close doctor" despite the resin-induced gap which is slightly larger in the underside of the fuselage than topside -

And so it is that with the magic ingredient KM Weld - I am forever in your debt Gary - and as much finger pressure as I could muster and maintain with one hand, I more-or-less forced it together -

I could imagine building this kit OOB without using any filler. I think Moeggo did so recently (?). The perfect fit is very reminiscent of Tamiya's P-51D or Irving kits.
However mine required a skim down most of the seams, in places due to gap and others which got ever-so-slightly offset either by the pressure or the resin or both -

I assembled the wings and finished assembling the undercarriage complete with UltraCast resin mudguards, nicely detailed but darned difficult to fit -

Crikey ... I'll be painting it before long! For this I must work out a way of doing D-Day stripes without the raised ridges caused by masking and brush painting, which happened on my Monogram build. The ridges mightn't be completely inappropriate for hastily applied stripes painted around national insignia but I mustn't have them under the decals .... hmmm .... an interesting dilemma ....?
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Nth-Shore Modlr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
More
7 years 3 months ago #37 by Nth-Shore Modlr
Just a bit of info for all the mossie fans,without Kiwi Milling teams showing the Brits the economical way to mill timber faster the mossIe may not have achieved the great combat record that it did,even height challenged workers were employed to check that the glue inside the tail had taken(strange but true)!!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy:

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #38 by Wally
Cheers North Shore. We Kiwis punch above our weight in every sphere, including milling the timber faster for De Havilland Mosquitos.
I have progressed a ways with this build. The major components - fuselage/tailplanes + 2 x wings - are assembled, canopy attached and painted with interior green -

I am choosing to paint all my canopy struts from the outside, camouflage & interior colour, and leave out the kitset internal decals.
I masked off the underwing & under-fuselage D-Day stripes areas and laid down my first coat of Medium Sea Grey -

I then painted a slightly darker strip of Med Sea Grey on the upper wings where D-Day stripes have - in early August 1944 I assume - been recently over-painted.
Then I pencil in the lines for RAF Dark Green with the wings slid on -

The first coat of green is a terrifying stage lacking coverage and when brush marks show up profusely. Such is a brush painter's lot -

But there are several or many more coats (base and shading) to follow so all will be well. Even a second coat on the bull nose improves things considerably -

The canopy struts to be painted in camo have received one coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 over the enamel interior green. A better base for the acrylic paint to follow.
And here's how the UltraCast wheels have turned out -

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

More
7 years 3 months ago #39 by Bishop
Wonderful gun bay. I really like the wheels as well

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 years 2 months ago #40 by Tiger
Looking sharp as ever there Wally. :)
Dave

More
7 years 2 months ago #41 by Fritz
Looking good Wally, I kinda like the nose on that mozzie. I think its cause its sorta different if you know what I mean.

In Progress:
Tamiya 1/48 F-117A
Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4K
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-...zaf-1-48-ta-4k-build

Completed:
Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 2 months ago #42 by Wally
Thanks guys. I'm on the home straight now after several sessions but this build has continued to be fraught with little challenges.
Having masked the whole under-fuselage D-Day stripes area, when it came time to do the stripes, I didn't want to be left with the roundel decal crossing over light and dark colour lines - Med Sea Grey & Dk Green or Black & White - because they show through the white and yellow of the roundel. This happened on my Monogram Mozzie build. So I cut out rough masks and masked the remaining roundel area -

On the starboard side I also decided to put the Med. Sea Grey back in under the roundel and so I did the reverse after painting the stripes - (this may not make sense) -

The wing stripes were much easier, 3 coats of Tamiya enamel white with masking tape and one coat of Tamiya XF-85 Rubber (Black) without -

And, after my unorthodox pre-gloss coat panel lines and exhaust stains etc, it's KM Klear all-over and ready for decals -

Then came the challenge of the decals. Having decided to go with the photographic evidence provided on this very thread by Ian, I had to pre-cut most of the Code and Serial decals to match the slightly angled D-Day stripe line. Needless to say it was a long couple of decal sessions -

I like it though. It looks good. It looks realistic with the stripes covering the ME squadron codes and serial numbers, though I reckon if my research is correct and all aircraft originally had complete stripes, one would be hard pressed to explain how they got this way ...? Why would they paint back only part of the Letters and Numbers? I believe the fuselage stripes were partial all along but .... who knows ....?
Just a few last-minute details now after Dullcote like wingtip lights, hatch door and ladder ...

Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

• Dangermouse84
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 months ago #43 by Dangermouse84
Very nice Wally

Slow is steady, steady is fast

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 2 months ago #44 by Wally
Finished - although these photos are the camera files. I loaded them into Camera Wizard, which automatically links to Picasa on my computer but the cropping I did there has not saved back to the original file. I guess my option in there is to save back each individual photo even though I can batch edit them. I just can't get the hang of this stuff. My final 5 pictures for the D-Day GB will come from Flickr I guess where I cropped them all over again in Aviary. Ho hum.
De Havilland Mosquito NF MkXIII MM466 ME-R of 488 Sqn RNZAF (RAF) at Colerne in early August 1944, as flown by F/L G E Jameson & F/O J N Crookes.

1/48 Tamiya NFXIII kit. Aires Bomb/Cannon Bay & Wheel Bays, UltraCast main wheels & tailwheel, Eduard Zoom Cockpit detail.
AeroMaster acrylic & Tamiya enamel paints, kitset and various decals, Modeldecal, Ventura, Revell.
Thanks for looking in
Wally.

I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 2 months ago #45 by Nosferatu
Very very nice Wally!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
7 years 2 months ago #46 by IAN
Looks fine, Wally, wouldn't guess that it's brush-painted from these pics. Good job, sir.

Ian

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #47 by Wally
Thanks Ian and thanks for your assistance along the way. I have gone with the D-Day stripe & marking arrangement as per the photo of ME-Z you posted on pg 4 # 21 of this thread.
I might add that the aircraft is slightly more weathered than I originally intended. Hopefully not too much as per comments arising on the MIG paint thread ...?
I do tend to weather rather dramatically although I have a rationale for the weathering on this one.
Someone somewhere on here or Wings Over NZ described the aircraft as being in pristine condition. However if D-Day stripes on the upper wings (and possibly upper fuselage) have been painted over after approximately one month service since D-Day - possibly a big IF - I wanted to show a contrast between the totally fresh paint and the paint weathered by however long the aircraft has been in service. I don't know that either but some fading on the uppers which have not been repainted seemed appropriate.
And thank you Nosferatu.
Cheers
Wally.

I enjoy doing research
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Wally. Reason: clarity

More
7 years 2 months ago #48 by Tiger
Wow that's really nice Wally
I'm no expert but your weathering looks spot on to me :)
Dave

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 2 months ago #49 by Kiwimav
yeah, I agree with everyone...bloody nice job Wally...nice looking "Mozzie" you got there
weathering looks fine by the way

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Wally
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
6 years 7 months ago #50 by Wally
FINAL FIVE PICTURES - Mosquito NF MkXIII ME-R, 488 Squadron RNZAF (RAF)

Wally - 6 Nov 2014

I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee