• Wally
  • Wally's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Wally
More
7 years 4 months ago #1 by Wally
RAF Beach Units was created by Wally
Not really a topic but not "Off topic" either. Most applicable to this D-Day GB I guess?
In my trawling for interesting possible subjects for D-Day GB I discovered this website -
www.rafbeachunits.info/html/airmen_on_the_beach.html
Some great information and personal stories about a little known branch of the services and services co-operation involved in D-Day and other landings.
Some of these guys went ashore very early on D-Day. I also had no idea the beaches went on being bombarded, strafed and bombed for so long.
I have in mind a diorama with RAF Jeep, figures and possibly motorcycle if I can get it together in time.
If it inspires anyone else ... go for it.
Alcock's comment about the Canadians "who are fearless" puts me in mind of a figure or figures diorama too.
So much attention has been paid to Omaha over the years that combatants at beaches like Sword & Juno don't get the mention they deserve in my humble opinion.
Cheers
Wally.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee