David's D-Day GB Tiger 242 sSS Pz Abtlg 102 Refuel Dio

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #91 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's D-Day GB Tiger 242 sSS Pz Abtlg 102 Refuel Dio
Thanks for all the positives folks. Much appreciated. :woohoo:

This is a long and winding road for sure...

Slow but steady progress.
The front office is now complete and weathered and looking suitably shabby. The NEW Flames of War paints so far are total CRAP. Thick from the bottle, thin well with any other brands thinners but brush appallingly streaky and dry that way. And coverage is poor to say the least. Still I have managed to create a suitably scruffy looking interior here.

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontoffice1.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontoffice2.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontoffice3.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontoffice4.jpg not found

Have had to remove interior details from kit parts so as to allow for addition of Verlinden resin pieces. The hull front is one example. have also had to remove a couple of parts from turret interior and cut out most of the front internal panel from the kit.

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontofficeFrontPanel.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontofficeFrontPanel2.jpg not found

Have drilled both the location points on the new turret floor and the correlating attachment stanchions which mount from the turret ring. Have added 0.5mm brass pins to ensure good joints here.

Attachment TigerUnderwayTurretInteriorONE.jpg not found

Hull rear underway as is the fuel tanks and radiators. just paint to go for those. I have made an inadvertent error; whiilst cutting and readying the hull rear part, I was away in a dream and have prepared and mounted the wrong part. This is for the Command version. Oh well, move on . . . :blink:

Attachment TigerUnderwayHullRear.jpg not found

Many other parts readied. Then it will soon be on to the turret interior. once that is complete I can close it up and move to complete this beastie.
Remember that about one or two percent of that interior will ever be seen, hence the somewhat scruffy finish.

As usual, comments and critique are welcome.

David

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by 1/35th Battalion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #92 by IAN
Paying attention....

Ian

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #93 by Kiwimav
looking great dave...

d2

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #94 by Bishop
You need to be careful with the turret basket interior parts from here. Verlinden does not have the correct layout and you are also building the later set up so check a couple of things before you go ahead. 1. The front right arm is quite short, attaching to the mechanism (long rod like structure), that connects the gunner's controls to the elevation mechanism on the cradle. Both are present in the kit, but the front arm actually connects to the bottom of the gun control mechanism thingy not to the turret above. 2. You need to check that you have the correct recoil spring location. In the earlier models this ran along side where the loader sat, but in these later turrets it was connected to the rear of the gun and was fixed upright to the left of the commander's seat the top attached to the turret beside the commander and the base being attached to the turret basket floor as a slight angle. Actually, I've looked at your instructions and the spring is in the right spot. so it's just the first.

I built the full interior and it was one of the most confusing builds I've ever done. Looks (as you are already starting to see), absolutely amazing when done.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #95 by Tiger
Looking great D1

More
7 years 1 week ago #96 by Glenn
Looking good.D1 :)
Shame those paint sets are crap, :(

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 days ago - 7 years 5 days ago #97 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's D-Day GB Tiger 242 sSS Pz Abtlg 102 Refuel Dio
Once more . . . THANKS for all the input folks. Really appreciate it. :cheer:

So here we are at the next stage.
RB Productions turned alloy barrel with machine brass muzzle break and fittings completed.
The Hull Bow front plate interior is now completed along with the ball mount MG.

From this photo (Sorry about the Rubbish photos by the way :P ) it is plainly obvious that not a lot can be seen of the interior. At least with all the hatches open it will look as it should, more or less, allowing for artistic license. :whistle:

Attachment TigerUnderwayUPDATETime.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayThefrontofficeFrontPanelComplete.jpg not found

I have some of the ATAK Zimmerit in place. That being the turret sides, hull sides and bow front. The fuel tanks and radiators are in and scruffily painted. Not overly fussed as it is really just for colour and shape through the grills. I used Slo Zap Thick CA and Zap Thin CA for fixing the Zimmerit. Worked just fine. But still quite a bit to do yet.

Attachment TigerUnderwaysix-ATAKZimmerit.jpg not found

I have now completed the turret interior. Yet to decide whether or not to scratch build the sighting device for the 88. As it cannot be seen I probably won't. I have though, kit bashed and scratched up the MG as there was nothing there and that could be seen. The positioning and accuracy of a few interior wall parts are entirely artistic license, but have filled the spaces and will look great through the open hatches. Not that particularly much can be seen all the same. That it will represent what it may have looked like is just fine with me.. It has been quite a challenge to build this interior as the Verlinden instructions are extraordinarily vauge. Thank goodness for google. :lol:

Attachment TigerUnderwayTurretInteriorToo.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayTurretInteriorThree.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayTurretInteriorFour.jpg not found

Again, sorry about the poor image quality. I rushed these.

Comments are always appreciated.

David One

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 days ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 4 days ago #98 by IAN
Glad to read that the Atak zim hasn't given you any problems, mentioned before that I have the same product, when I eventually get brave enough to build mine !! - although mine won't have any internal detail.... I'm not that brave :S

Ian

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 4 days ago - 7 years 4 days ago #99 by 1/35th Battalion
Here's the news Ian . . . The Zimmerit is Great, once on. It is also very fragile. Follow the sheet instructions to the letter in regard to preparation but use some caution, these can tear and break quite easily when a little too much vigour is used. And that is only a very small amount of added vigour that is needed to cause potential problems. Slow and easy. One issue I have run into is that I have been way too keen to get that Zimmerit on, and over the ensueing timeframe, where I have been test fitting other parts, have broken the front edges off from where the side of the bow plate is. Fortunately I have saved those pieces and can patch that back together.
Make sure you dry fit everything over and over, as I did. A number of the square holes, where the side skirt mounts are on the hull sides, do not line up and require a little expansion. Same with the rear sections of the turret side, where the turret bustle will fit. So really, the same old rules here as for most modelling; proceed with care, check check, check the parts fits before applying adhesives, slow and steady as she goes . . . I should add that the original kit turret sides have the vision ports molded on. These will need to be removed to be replaced by the ATAK Zim parts. Take care in repositioning those - use the turret side Zimmerit as a guide if needs be. I used a brand new No.11 surgical scalpel blade in no.3 handle - slowly, then carefully filed/sanding sticked the excess to conform in shape.

Ha! Bravery or MADNESS?? In this instance I think the latter :P
I have used resin accessories in the past but primarily as stowage, and that dozer blade on the Marines Sherman which have been fairly straight-forward. This set on the other hand has been NUTS!!! Difficult to remove parts from their attachments and the instructions or so bad that I am truly thankful for all the information I've found online to make sure of the correct location and placement of parts. This has been my first ever turret interior. An interesting challenge :lol: Especially when almost none of it will be seen on the finished model. :pinch:

D1

On the Bench:

Last edit: 7 years 4 days ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 4 days ago #100 by Wally
Yes but you know it's there .... and so do we.
This is looking really excellent mate. Can't wait to see more.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 4 days ago #101 by Dads Army
Amazing detail in there D1 :whistle:

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
7 years 4 days ago #102 by Kiwimav
Looking great m8...keep it going Dave, should look awesome finished
watchin for more for sure...aaarrrrgggg poetry :ohmy:

d1

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
7 years 3 days ago #103 by Tiger
Looking good D1
You must be pleased with progress so far :)
Watching away here still, love what ya doing.
Dave

More
7 years 2 days ago #104 by grunzter
Yeh, this is going to be a good one, and the good thing is we know you will finish it :P
...reminds me to get my a into g...
looking good.
Grant

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
7 years 1 day ago #105 by Webby_NZ
Members of the Manawtu model club were lucky enough to see thins in person Thursday night and the photos really don't do the quality of that interior justice.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #106 by 1/35th Battalion
Again, many thanks for the platitudes dudes :lol:

Quick update time again.
I have largely assembled all of the hull and turret assemblies, doing something I do not usually do by placing all the components on prior to paint. I'm going to paint all the bits like ropes and tools on the hull in place. This may be a challenge but I will give it a whirl as everything is now well stuck in place. I've used AK Interactives 'Dark Yellow' Primer. I have heard a wide range of stories about this product, none complimentary and some quite night-marish, so approached this with some trepidation. For the last five days I have spent a couple of periods each day where I have given the bottle a good shake, both up and down and side to side, spending several minutes at this each time. Prior to painting I also immersed the bottle into a pot of hot water for around 15 minutes then gave it another vigorous shaking. I had the heat on in the space and it was quite warm. I dropped around 4cc into the airbrush un-thinned straight from the bottle and away I went. It has worked a treat largely, flowing smooth and thin and even. I had to reload a similar amount into the AB five times to get reasonable coverage (two to three thin coats over pretty much everything) and other than the very last application, where the AB began to block and splatter, everything has gone a treat. I thinned that last load with LifeColour Acrylic thinners and carried on with only minor issues to the end of that load. I will need to go back and redo a couple of bits but that is only minor considering what I had been led to expect. WHEW!!!!
The Hull and Turret assemblies where painted separately. I allowed everything to dry for around five hours before removeing any masking tape and have placed the tow assemblies together to get an overall feel. Still much more to do.........

Attachment TigerUnderwaySeven-AKPrimered.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayEight-AKPrimeredtoo.jpg not found

Attachment TigerUnderwayNine-AKPrimeredThree.jpg not found

See you all in the next instalment. :woohoo:

D1

On the Bench:

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
6 years 11 months ago #107 by Tiger
Nice Dave :)
I know how you feel regarding the amount of work still to do :(
Look forward to seeing some more :)
Dave

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #108 by Bishop
David, I always attach everything before paint (tools etc), as I find it much easier than trying to fix the mess once I've tried gluing things on later. I find it works well so you should be right. One thing I've thought of that you might like to do to go along with the dio is to drill out one of the armoured fuel caps (with the x on them) ready for the guys to add some fuel. You could scratch the cap (it has a thread) laying on the engine deck. Looking very good so far. Is the commander's hatch and the loader's hatch shut? I would imagine these to be open at a fuel stop. The side hatch may be also. Whatever you decide it's looking great. My favourite tank

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Bishop.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #109 by 1/35th Battalion
Crikey Bishop, Great Minds and all that :lol: ;) That is exactly what I had thought to attempt with the fuel cap and may still give that a whirl. All the hatches will be open and unmanned with crew involved in other things around the vehicle, or at least that's the plan. :blink: I would not have gone to all that trouble with the interior otherwise :whistle: and I must admit that with the hatches open it really does add "depth" to the vehicle rather than the great empty void that would otherwise have been visible even with the seats and main gun mechanism being part of the kit. The other parts just add 'realism' and complete the picture as it were.
And I do have to agree with you Bishop, my Fave Tank too. And I'm not really able to put a precise finger on why that might be. There is a certain "Presence" that the Tiger One has that no other tank quite captures. Not even the T2/Hunting/King Tiger, at least for me . . . . B) The modern version for me might be the Challenger II. ;)

Cheers all.

David

On the Bench:

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
6 years 11 months ago #110 by Bishop
I forgot about the interior (stupid me), a small electrical flat head screw suitably trimmed would actually give you all the right shapes. It's a funny thing about the look, I think it's the squared up wide wide front that gives it the edge in the looks department. When looked at in parts it's just a box with a boring round turret. When viewed as the sum of it's parts it's awesome!!!. I confess I also rather like the Tiger II, but only with the fenders OFF. The huge tracks kick in and you start to think s**t!!! Merkava IV for me.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
6 years 11 months ago #111 by Glenn
Looking good in yellow David, :)
Nice work so far :cheer:

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee