More
7 years 6 months ago #1 by 1/35th Battalion
Initial Post

Attachment 242.jpg not found

Much more to follow . . .

D1

On the Bench:
Tamiya 1/24 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI (1993 DTM) - "Built to Race" GB
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Don't let someone dim your light simply because it's shinning in their eyes !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • 1/35th Battalion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's D-Day GB Tiger 242 sSS Pz Abtlg 102 Refuel Dio
Here are the base kits I will be using. All will be essentially Out Of The Box

This will be Tiger 242, Second in Command, 2 Kompanie - schwere SS Panzer Abtelung 102 (heavy SS Tank Battalion 102) Somewhere between Caen and Falaise - Northern France - July to August 1944

Attachment large_2042_6406.jpg not found

This vehicle will be refuelling the tank

Attachment 1697_rn.jpg not found

This will be bringing news to tank commander

Attachment mb3548fbt.jpg not found

and they will all be mounted on this (2 kits in 1)

Attachment MT36029.jpg not found

The figures and equipment will be derived from out of around 10 other kits plus some scratch building and a great deal of additional debris.
Hmmm, somewhat ambitious? 11 months, ah WTF ;)

Much more to come . . .

David

On the Bench:
Revell 1/24 '77 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 - getting the "Mad-Maxed" treatment - moving to the "Diorama" GB

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #3 by 1/35th Battalion
Replied by 1/35th Battalion on topic David's D-Day GB Tiger 242 sSS Pz Abtlg 102 Refuel Dio
I will be building a diorama of a Tiger 1 E late as a vehicle from sSS Pz Abtlg 102; the vehicle will be number 242 , a command tank of the command platoon of 2 Kompanie.
My info tells me that 102 arrived in the general Normandy area around mid June 1944 and were in combat by early July around the Hill 112 area in an operation known as The Battle of Verrieres Ridge. They were then involved in a variety of withdrawal and counterstrike combats all the way back to Falaise and eventually retreated out of the Falaise Gap through France and into Belgium. When they arrived in France they had 45 Tiger 1's of Late version. When they retreated to Belgium there was only one Tiger 1 left and this was abandoned when it ran out of fuel. Many of those Tigers had been received by the unit in October/November of 1943 but some had been replaced due to either combat on the Eastern front or mechanical issues. In the units history they had recieved a total of 76 Tigers of mid, late or final version. Total enemy kills was a claimed 600 vehicles.
My diorama will be depicting 242 refuelling on the outskirts of a ruined village during this period of it’s history in the Normandy campaign. I have no definitive photo’s of the vehicles concerned but research suggests that all those I will be depicting were in use in this theatre of operations. Many an image does show damaged and destroyed vehicles of the type I intend to depict.

Here are the actual kits I am using. Everything will primarily be built Out of the Box unless I already have AM part/accessories for them.

Attachment Tiger1D-DayGB.jpg not found

Attachment CargotruckD-DayGB.jpg not found

Attachment R75D-DayGB.jpg not found

Attachment FiguresD-dayGB-1.jpg not found

Attachment FiguresandAccessoriesD-DayGB.jpg not found

Attachment Caen-FalaiseBaseWorkD-DayGB.jpg not found

All comments are always welcome

David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #4 by Andrew
Nice lot of goodies spread out there B)

One thing I'd check, is will the Tiger fit onto the Miniart base?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #5 by 1/35th Battalion

Andrew wrote: Nice lot of goodies spread out there B)

:lol: One of the Very First things I checked even before deciding to do this particular setup. Ta.

D1

On the Bench:

More
7 years 6 months ago #6 by Dads Army
You don't muck around do ya? :woohoo:

"Rough as Guts Production's"

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #7 by 1/35th Battalion
Heck, I've only had a Heart Attack :lol: Some say you can't keep a good man down. My doc would prefer otherwise but a fellas gotta do something to keep from Cabin Fever :whistle:

D1

On the Bench:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
7 years 6 months ago #8 by Andrew

1/35th Battalion wrote:

Andrew wrote: Nice lot of goodies spread out there B)

:lol: One of the Very First things I checked even before deciding to do this particular setup. Ta.

D1

Well that's alright then! :lol:

Been caught out a couple of times by the lack of space found on some of those Miniart sets :S

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
7 years 6 months ago #9 by Tiger
Wow, this should be good to watch David. Looking forward to it.
Tiger

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #10 by CyNaKyL
I was going to ask the same question as Andrew, I take it they are all going to be squished on there or os the base bigger than it looks?
I'll also be keen to see the differences between your DML Tiger and Andrew's AFV Club one.... will follow both with interest...

- Gaz

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by CyNaKyL.

More
7 years 6 months ago #11 by eyepaule
I'm green with envy at all of the boxes you just got to open David. Really looking forward to this!

Paul

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #12 by 1/35th Battalion
Cheers all, lots of work ahead with this build . . .

Here is some of the places online that I have used for reference. There are some others that I can't find right now . . .
And some Hard Copy that I am also using.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/102nd_SS_Heavy_Panzer_Battalion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_heavy_tank_battalions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Overlord
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verrieres_Ridge
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Totalize
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tractable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tractable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jupiter_(1944)

This is a culmination of much, and more, from those links above.

Attachment 102ndSSHeavyPanzerBattalion.pdf not found

Books I am using from our awesome public library.

Attachment LibraryBooks-1.jpg not found

Attachment LibraryBooks-2.jpg not found

Attachment LibraryBooks-3.jpg not found

And some I have in my own small collection.

Attachment LibraryBooks-4.jpg not found

Lots of information out there. :cheer:

Much more yet to come.
I'm about to start on the MiniArt Bases today...

David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #13 by 1/35th Battalion
So here is the first of MANY build posts :lol:

I have started with the base which is a two in one from MiniArt - 36029, Village Street
The set consists of standard injection moulded parts on sprues and a number of sheets of vac formed Walls and other details.
The 'walls' come as two parts generally. An inner and outer face and adjoining end/edges. These parts are quite thin and flexible, alignment is attained by sight and touch; there are no positioning pins/lugs/connectors or any type of alignment device whatsoever. All these walls require cutting from their sheets. Refer to earlier pictures in this thread to see what I mean about these sheets. Extreme care needs to be taken in the removal and corner cutting of these wall parts as the slightest error will equate to a proportionate scale gap or some degree of warpage or twisting when joining the parts. The detail is rather good and even allows for the plaster texture and cracks, and a few bullet holes and such. Unfortunately there is also a large amount of bubblie through and corner protrusions which all require careful cleanup. Again, alignment needs careful attention and some parts simply do not, align that is. Too wide or too tall. These may only be by small margins (1 - 1.5mm at most) in a very few places, but will need considerable attention to either clean down or fill up. EVERY join will require sanding, filing, sanding, putty etc etc.
So all in all these require a LOT of work to get a good end result. I still have a very long way to go.
With this in mind, and knowing that I did indeed make some potential f#@!!*^ups, ah - errors/mistakes :oops: , Here is where I have gotten to so far. Both base parts have been removed from their respective sheets and I have been working on one side of the two halves of the scene . . .
The walls are just sitting on the base as are the steps. The left hand right-angled parts are all joined inner and outer parts and at the angle and the right hand straight wall is joined inner to outer. The join at he doorway/steps angle has not been made.
A lot of blurb for only two pictures. Forgot to take progress shots along the way. :silly:

Front side

Attachment Settingthescene-1.jpg not found

and reverse . . .

Attachment Settingthescene-Reversed-1.jpg not found

All comments are welcome . . .
So much more to do. There are hours of work just to have this part ready for paint . . .
Onward to the bench ;)

Can I blame Heart Attack Brain for the fact that I forgot the GB Logo :unsure: Buggerit . . .

David

On the Bench:

Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #14 by Tiger
Great start David.
Looking forward to watching what you do with the building, always thought I would like to try one instead of building my own.
Looks good although there are gaps, with your skills...... No probs :cheer:
Tiger

More
7 years 6 months ago #15 by Glenn
Hey David,have you checked out mini arts online instruction for putting these kits together?
If not you dont use a knife you use a scriber,and then snap the extra bits off.
I also added extra strips of plastic around the inside of the windows,doors,and wall connection points,helps to align the parts and adds some extra strength.
Looking good so far :)

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #16 by 1/35th Battalion

Glenn wrote: Hey David,have you checked out mini arts online instruction for putting these kits together?
If not you dont use a knife you use a scriber,and then snap the extra bits off.
I also added extra strips of plastic around the inside of the windows,doors,and wall connection points,helps to align the parts and adds some extra strength.
Looking good so far :)

Cheers Glen; I did go to the MiniArt site and checked out the construction info. Mostly I have used a sharp scriber as indicated but a good sharp scalpel works better IMHO.
The problem I have had most issue with is cutting the angled ends off to the correct angle or length. I'm using all the right tools I believe but parts just don't seem to end up where I had planned. Oh well, I've managed to put most of that right so far, even with a little bit of twist here 'n there. :whistle: I also used the same method of the extra strips here and there too. Sometimes useful. I'm going to use some sculptamold under the foundation of the walls to bed it in a little better as there is quite a rise across the left hand bottom edge. This is going to be my first ever Buildings with rubble Scene so rather a lot to learn in the painting and finishing. Always learning in this hobby. :woohoo: That's why I try something different each time, Streeeeetch those skills way out.

Back to the bench . . .

David

On the Bench:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #17 by 1/35th Battalion

Tiger wrote: Great start David.
Looking forward to watching what you do with the building, always thought I would like to try one instead of building my own.
Looks good although there are gaps, with your skills...... No probs :cheer:
Tiger

Thanks Tig
Gaps yes coz it's only sitting there unglued ; and in my skills, undoubtedly. :P :blink: It's why I do this stuff, to learn more and figure stuff out. Streeeetch ones knowledge and learning ability and creative juices :woohoo: Or go curl up in front of a telly and get brain dead, Not me laddie . . .
ha ha, unglued, a bit like me really . . . :side: :lol:
Onward . . .

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 6 months ago #18 by eyepaule
Looking good David. I have always wanted to do one of these buildings. Watching with interest!

Paul

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #19 by 1/35th Battalion
A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT !!!
sjr_76 is from the old mould. One of those folks that was once called a 'Gentleman' and a 'real good bloke'.

I checked my mail this morning and in it was a wee package from BNA Modelworld. I thought that odd because I hadn't ordered anything.
Now you may recall that earlier in this thread I had noted that I would be mostly building Out of The Box, primarily due to the fact that I had recently had a heart attack, was self employed and therefore unable to generate any income. With funds low and dwindling I would not be able to afford any AM stuff including zimmerit for the build.

The package in my mail has an Eduard set of Zimmerit in it. and the invoice was paid by one Steve R otherwise known as sjr_76
A true MATE and Genuine "REAL GOOD BLOKE". My Sincere and Humble thanks Steve.

Now a word of warning, It is Ill advised to have an Aircraft modeller buy After Market parts for a WWII Armoured vehicle; they can often turn out to be the wrong thing. OOPS :P The Sentiment and the Act are truly generous and accepted in the most profound manner though. :lol:

David

On the Bench:

More
7 years 6 months ago #20 by Nosferatu
Nice work Steve! He 's always been a good bloke...even in his navy days!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
7 years 6 months ago #21 by eyepaule
Wow cool. I guess you can pay him back by finishing it!

More
7 years 6 months ago #22 by Glenn
Hey David if ya want to abit of kit bashing I have a tiger kit with zimm moulded into the plastic parts, :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1/35th Battalion

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 6 months ago #23 by 1/35th Battalion

Glenn wrote: Hey David if ya want to abit of kit bashing I have a tiger kit with zimm moulded into the plastic parts, :)

Piqued my interest there. PMed :whistle:

D1

On the Bench:

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #24 by 1/35th Battalion
Thanks for the input and offers folks. Very generous and appreciated. :cheer:

Not a lot has been happening with this build since last I posted.

Small progress really. These MiniArt Dio kits can be somewhat of a pain in the proverbial. :whistle:

For those not familiar with these kits, here is a little info...
Main elements are impressed into a sheet of styrene like this:

Attachment OuterSheetDetail.jpg not found

Attachment InsideSheetDetail.jpg not found

The Mini Art website has video instructions on how to remove the parts,. These suggest using a sharp Awl to scribe around the outer edges several times and then more or less snap the parts out. I have not found this to be particularly effective so do the initial scribing with a sharpened dental tool and then cut the remainder with scalpel/craft knife.

Attachment DentalTool.jpg not found

Attachment Scalpeletc.jpg not found

This leaves quite a bit of the part still with the cut mark. This is sometimes not an issue as once cleaned up with file or sandpaper, the two parts to be joined have little or no detail present. The problem arises when two surfaces to be joined do have detail which should match together.
An example I have encountered is brickwork parts.

Attachment PartsforScale.jpg not found

Attachment JustRemovedpart.jpg not found

Attachment JustRemovedpart-2.jpg not found

The edge you see here is supposed to join and align with another part which is also brickwork
Some cleanup required. Sharp scalpel tip moves carefully in a sideways action to rmove all the excess including the brick work on the outer edges.
Once cleaned down to the right level, detail is restored using a mini triangular file to re-introduce the depth of the mortar lines. Kinda like rescribing panel lines, but with a file. Each and every brick/mortar line. Now the two with match up and look right. :silly:

Attachment CleanedandFiled.jpg not found

All a lot of interesting challenges . . . :evil: :woohoo: You see, this styrene is soft and flexible, so some care and caution is needed not to overdo it or slip and mark the wrong bit!! Or get yourself . . .

David

More to this post next page . . .

On the Bench:

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #25 by 1/35th Battalion
Continued from previous page . . .

So here is where I am up to now. Not very far actually. :lol:
The main wall structure halves are joined to each of it's inner and outer part but the rest are not joined on to the other. Everything is just sitting here either balanced or taped . The inaccuracy of these pieces is quite extraordinary., most part do align but many top or side pieces have mismatching parts one side to the other. A great deal of cleanup and filler will be required to get these to assembly and/or painting stage.

This is the main layout. Even the two bases have poor joins and will require some extra-dioramatic corrections and overlaying materials. :whistle:

Attachment BaseProgress-2-NotFar.jpg not found

And here are some of the mismatching bits.

Attachment Wall_Mismatch-1.jpg not found

Attachment Wall-Mismatch-2.jpg not found

Attachment Wall-Mismatch-3.jpg not found

Attachment Wall-Mismatch-4.jpg not found

Attachment Wall-Mismatch-5.jpg not found

All comments are welcome.

David

On the Bench:

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by 1/35th Battalion.

More
7 years 5 months ago #26 by Gary
I fill the halves with a mix of scultamold and PVA, I rough up the insides a bit to give it a bit of a key and then fill it up until level. It gives a bit more meat to the structures. Then if you bond the two filled halves you have something to fill to on the seams, it's a lot of extra work and I've only built 2 of these but that's what I've done.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• 1/35th Battalion
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #27 by 1/35th Battalion
Cheers Gary, that is an idea that I played with but thought it a waste of perfectly good sculptamold. :P I may have been wrong in that thought.
I'm thinking about filling the gaps and covering over most of the seams with a very light coat of epoxy putty then working back in to the detail. :S
As you may have guessed, this is my first time with these MiniArt Dio bases. A Two in One all at the same time. These kits are sold in several iterations with this being the culmination of all of those. I even get a few extras not noted in the box art like lamp posts and a village well which are parts of the other variations sold. Part Box additions :)
A lot or work to get these to look good. And I've just moved to the standard sprue mounted parts. Oh Dear - Sprue gates the size of matchsticks all the way up to and on to the parts, some of which have round profiles or are supposed to fit to other pieces. Lots MORE clean up. Dum de do . . . :(

This really is FUN isn't it? The End Result, The End Result, The End Result . . . .hmm :lol:

D1

On the Bench:

More
7 years 5 months ago #28 by olive drab
How come these problems don't show up on the Miniart website when they build their own models? :unsure:

• Webby_NZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Trying to work more on completion over perfection.
More
7 years 5 months ago #29 by Webby_NZ

olive drab wrote: How come these problems don't show up on the Miniart website when they build their own models? :unsure:

The same reason my burger never looks like the picture on the wall, marketing :-)

Dave, I don't envy you having to do the cleanup on those, especially the bricks in the walls but like you said, keep the end result in mind as the end result will be amazing based on all the parts and research that are going into this.

Stand aside caffine, this is a job for alcohol.
Remember to subscribe at www.plamo.nz for latest news, updates and sales. Use KM5 for 5% off your purchase.
Don't forget to mention you found the site via KM so I can give back to the site.

More
7 years 5 months ago #30 by Gary

Webby_NZ wrote:

olive drab wrote: How come these problems don't show up on the Miniart website when they build their own models? :unsure:

The same reason my burger never looks like the picture on the wall, marketing :-) .

So very true.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Moderators: AndrewTony Lee