This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.
The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.
To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.
No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.
The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
BoB: Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.1 Al Deere ***Finished***
She has paint! Used Tamiya acrylics. The preshading came out nicely on the brown but can't really see it on the green. Went over lightly afterwards with a different tone to try and remove the monotone. Will give it another go once decals are on.
I need some more practice with my camera (it's a video camera used to take stills) I keep getting grainy photos for some reason. I think this is pilot error rather than poor lighting...
I changed the Serial number to what is correct: According to the decal sheet his A/C was N3183 when in fact it should be P9398 (Thanks ViperBuilder!!) Was a tricky task for my fumbly mits.
I did as Steve suggested- With this decal set came the serial "P9386" and I chopped the last "8" and "6" separate. Flipped the "6" upside down then put the "8" last The "8" wasn't symmetrical so I couldn't flip the two together.
Neat little set of decals. I do think the stencils are a bit big scale-wise, and I will certainly be dulling them down a lot so they don't stick out so much. If I was to do these decals again I think I would leave them off completely. Still need to paint the gun cover things- the decals were too thick to conform to the leading edge so I used Tamiya tape with a light smothering of clear glue underneath to help it stick and stay stuck.
A wash, some filtering and weathering to go!
Oh and you should be able to see my attempted save on the carburettor intake I'm happy with it!
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
I got some weathering done over the past few days. I used oils for the filtering and washes. A tiny bit of Tamiya smoke here and there- though I found this rather hard to use, I think the gloss and transparency threw me off a bit and I ended up pouring it on in areas before I knew what was happening. I ended up sanding it back several times and having another go. Heavily thinned paints seemed just as good yet easier for me to use- technically no different to each other but there you go.
Exhaust stains were done using Tamiya acrylics and a little bit of metal wear on the wing roots using Mr Hobby silver. I think I might be better using a grey rather than silver next time- she's a bit too bright for my liking.
Here's some pics
I accidentally broke off the undercarriage fairing (???) bit thingee part
Coming up on finals now, looking forward to having model no.2 done and dusted!
Will you be making it to Armistice in Cambridge with this?
Would be cool to see to see all the BoB GB builds grouped together
I am hoping to come to Cambridge, though I have one of those silly jobs that doesn't recognize days of the week Fingers crossed, but if I do I think for every bodies sake my models are best left at home
Carpet monster ate the pitot tube, made another from styrene and stretched sprue. Replaced the reflector sight with clear plastic- made it look a bit better than the thicker stock piece. Big thanks to Steve (ViperBuilder) for the correct prop and info on the correct serial number!
Only my second model since getting back into this wonderful hobby. As expected I have room to improve, though overall quite pleased with how she's turned out.