This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.

The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.

To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.

No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p FINISHED!!

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
5 years 11 months ago #31 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
I apply logic, so I always do RLM 66 for the cockpit, as it's a dark colour it doesn't reflect the light in to the crews eyes. I then use RLM 02 for the bomb bays, wheel wells etc, as there are fuel and hydraulic lines here and any leaks would show up easier on lighter surfaces.
That's my take, like you I trolled around the interweb for a long time, looked at lots of photos and as you say there is a lot of conjecture on this subject but I've yet to hear of a better excuse than mine :D

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #32 by olive drab
Replied by olive drab on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Ammo of Mig have just released a range of cockpit colour sets that may go some way to solve the colour matches.

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #33 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p

Gary wrote: I apply logic, so I always do RLM 66 for the cockpit, as it's a dark colour it doesn't reflect the light in to the crews eyes. I then use RLM 02 for the bomb bays, wheel wells etc, as there are fuel and hydraulic lines here and any leaks would show up easier on lighter surfaces.
That's my take, like you I trolled around the interweb for a long time, looked at lots of photos and as you say there is a lot of conjecture on this subject but I've yet to hear of a better excuse than mine :D

That logic works for me. :lol:

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #34 by Grant

olive drab wrote: Ammo of Mig have just released a range of cockpit colour sets that may go some way to solve the colour matches.

Colour matching isn't really the problem. The problem is what the colours actually are. Tamiya colour matches satisfy me anyway. :)
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Grant.

• CyNaKyL
  • Serial Kit Starter
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #35 by CyNaKyL
Replied by CyNaKyL on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Looking here , which is my go to if I'm not sure on a colour. According to this, all He111 models up to the H6 were RLM02 cockpits, with the H6 onwards being RLM66.
Without someone having an original colour photo of your exact aircraft, I'm picking you'll be fine going with RLM02, which would be the case for almost all the aircraft used in the Battle of Britain.
The general consensus I've found seems to be early to mid 1941 onwards was when RLM66 started to be used for cockpit areas instead of RLM02. Of course a lot of aircraft weren't repainted straight away, case in point the bf110c/d/e, some had just rlm66 front cockpit, some had the front and upper rear in rlm66 with the lower rear still being 02 and some were all 66. It was a case of when they either underwent high level maintenance or a quick coat to repair damage etc, or if the groundcrew got time to do it while the aircraft was being repaired etc or was otherwise not flightworthy for a time.

In Soviet Russia, Iron Curtain GB builds you!

People look at me funny when I say I own "Fifty shades of Grey". FS36118, FS36270, FS36375.....
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by CyNaKyL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grant

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #36 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Took a qick pic,

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Maarten.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grant, CyNaKyL

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #37 by Grant
A relaxing morning of coffee, music and modelling was had. And by chance the August copy of Airfix magazine arrived in the post and it has several features on the He-111, including photos of the Gardermoen He-111 P2. This magazine has become very good in the past year by the way: lots of content, nice photography, good builds and reviews. :)

Attachments:

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #38 by Grant
The interior set is together and I've started the painting with a base coat of Tamiya XF-22. It went together really easily. Most of the time was spent taking the parts off the resin blocks and removing flash. Overall it's a lot more detailed than the kit parts, so it's worth putting this in I think. I'm going to try holding off putting this in the actual fuselage for as long as possible to avoid breaking bits off. Hopefully I should be able to glue it in just before the canopy glass goes on and I paint the exterior.

Attachments:

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 11 months ago #39 by grover
Replied by grover on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
That looks like really nice detail Grant.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 11 months ago #40 by Grant
My progress from today. I spent a lot of the morning filling the numerous ejector pin marks on the inside of the fuselage. I didn't seek perfection on these as realistically not much will be seen once all the detail is in there and it's painted and closed up. I also glued on all the interior glass. I'll mask this, put in the interior detail and then paint and weather the interior. The quality of the transparent pieces is fantastic btw. Really clear with a great fit. :) Enjoying the kit so far.

Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago #41 by Xtr3meNZer
Replied by Xtr3meNZer on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Looking bloody good :) Thanks for posting about the colouring as well, very handy tip

More
5 years 10 months ago #42 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
I am so tempted to buy the one in the local hobby shop, but I know I couldn't build it to this standard. I am enjoying watching this build come together instead.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #43 by Grant

Bishop wrote: I am so tempted to buy the one in the local hobby shop, but I know I couldn't build it to this standard. I am enjoying watching this build come together instead.

Cheers Bishop. I might try and get a couple of hours with the thing today. I got some graphite powder after seeing your post about it; I might experiment with it on the chipping and wear in the cockpit/seat etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
5 years 10 months ago #44 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Looking good so far Grant - nice kit detail in the office

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #45 by Grant
A bit more progress on the pit. This is clearly a pretty shagged out Heinkel. :P Still has a bunch more work to go before this bit is finished: adding the detail parts, PE belts, gluing it all together and applying a coat of matt. But I think this should look quite nice through the glass.

Basics painted:

And after dry brushing, chipping and weathering:

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Grant.

More
5 years 10 months ago #46 by Xtr3meNZer
That looks goood!! I like the chipping worn effect you've given it! Nice bit of inspiration for me lol. I'm going to be doing more the wash, worn look than chipping. But damn that looks good!

More
5 years 10 months ago #47 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p

Xtr3meNZer wrote: That looks goood!! I like the chipping worn effect you've given it! Nice bit of inspiration for me lol. I'm going to be doing more the wash, worn look than chipping. But damn that looks good!

What he said!! Good work!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• KitModellerNZ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #48 by KitModellerNZ
Replied by KitModellerNZ on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Looks great! This is going to be a fantastic build.

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
5 years 10 months ago #49 by grover
Replied by grover on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
Yeah coming along very nicely Grant.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
5 years 10 months ago #50 by Bishop
I'd almost say that those chips are a little too overstated for the interior of a plane, but you really need this to be able to see them through the canopy glass. A bit like stage make up. I really like the shapes and placement. This is turning into a cracking good build. I really want one of these now. B)

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #51 by Grant

Bishop wrote: I'd almost say that those chips are a little too overstated for the interior of a plane, but you really need this to be able to see them through the canopy glass. A bit like stage make up. I really like the shapes and placement.

Yeah, it was partly the intention to go pretty heavy so it could be seen under the glass. The stage make-up remark is interesting. I've been thinking a bit about the balancing demands between realism and artistic effect (not that I clam to be making art! :lol: ). Another area where this is going to come up is in the splinter pattern. If you aim for realism the differentiation between the colours on the top can be pretty minimal on these aircraft, especially under some weathering and a flat coat. So I might tweak the colours a bit to make for a more appealing model.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
5 years 10 months ago #52 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p

Grant wrote:

Bishop wrote: I'd almost say that those chips are a little too overstated for the interior of a plane, but you really need this to be able to see them through the canopy glass. A bit like stage make up. I really like the shapes and placement.

Yeah, it was partly the intention to go pretty heavy so it could be seen under the glass. The stage make-up remark is interesting. I've been thinking a bit about the balancing demands between realism and artistic effect (not that I clam to be making art! :lol: ). Another area where this is going to come up is in the splinter pattern. If you aim for realism the differentiation between the colours on the top can be pretty minimal on these aircraft, especially under some weathering and a flat coat. So I might tweak the colours a bit to make for a more appealing model.

Agreed..at the end of the day its your kit...do what you need to ..to make it what YOU want..I do the same..I'm not building for museum's.. I try and get what I call a "Decent Approximation" of a subject. In saying that...the research can be fun..but an unrealistic expectation for my skill levels to transfer that to a kit :blink:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #53 by Grant
Inside is ready for painting.

Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago #54 by PJNZ
Replied by PJNZ on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
This looks nice. Good job filling the pin marks and no excess glue showing - tidy!

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #55 by Grant

PJNZ wrote: no excess glue showing

Tamiya extra thin is magic. I remember as a kid my fingers being caked in layers of dried glue. :lol:

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #56 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic BoB: Promodeller/Revell 1/32 He-111p
This is looking soo good mate. I'm actively on the hunt for one in 1/48 scale now...

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #57 by Grant
Got a bit done to the internals this morning. Because my last three builds have been big kits I'm tempted to put this down for a couple of weeks and build something small and quick.

Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago #58 by Xtr3meNZer
I know what you mean in regards to wanting to do a quick build some times :) The kit is looking great though :)

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #59 by Grant

Xtr3meNZer wrote: I know what you mean in regards to wanting to do a quick build some times :)

Yeah, I just feel a bit impatient, which isn't the best for getting good results. I'll take it out on a couple of cheap kits.

More
5 years 10 months ago #60 by Bishop
That sounds like a good idea. Build a happy crappy kit just to relax and get back to this. Its not one you want to rush.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Andrew