This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.
The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.
The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.
To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.
No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.
The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.
And the basic splinter camo applied. Paints are mixed Tamiya acrylics. Sorry but the pics are a bit dark. It needs a few touch ups here and there, but this looks nicely worn to me. I might do the touch ups tonight and then let it dry for a couple of days.
Cheers! I had enough time last night to do some touch ups and rub the whole thing down. Here are some close ups of the finish. Next up is giving this a gloss and then letting that dry so I can apply the decals on the weekend. I reckon there is a week left on this.
Xtr3meNZer wrote: What are you going to use to clear coat it with?
Tamiya acrylic clear coat heavily thinned. This works well if the surface is reasonably smooth.
PJNZ wrote: Were you intentional about how much top coat you applied to keep pre-shading visble Grant?
Yeah I backed off a bit on this to have the preshading look a bit more prominent. Pre-shading is an artistic technique more than anything else and with surfaces this big I didn't think being subtle would work all that well. I also varied the coverage of the camo colours here and there. In person you can also see some of the initial colouration I applied to the engines etc. This still has various gloss/matt coats, stains and washes to go on which will take it down a bit. In my experience the black green will also darken up once the gloss coat goes on, and then the final matt will blend it all together.
Day off today because I'm feeling a bit fatigued. My airbrush was playing up so I just spent an hour stripping it down, cleaning it and trying to diagnose the problem. I think a small rubber washer on the air valve was catching. I put it all back together and it seems to be working nicely. I think is time to spend some serious money on a good airbrush though.