This group build is to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. It will run from 10th of July to 31st of October, 2015, following the dates of the battle.

The build is open to any scale and any subject that played a role in the Battle of Britain. While the Battle of Britain is foremost remembered as an air battle, builds including figures (e.g. famous historical figures from the battle), vehicles and armour (e.g. AA guns) and dioramas (e.g. airfield dioramas) are eligible provided a documented link can be established.

The model must be built entirely within the build dates to qualify, and the build should be accompanied by a thread in the group build forum documenting regular progress. Post your sprues at the beginning of the thread! By the end of the group build (and no later than 24 hours after the completion date) participants should post five pictures of the completed build in the group build forum which will be organised shortly.

To discourage cynical entries the build is open only to those who have been members of KiwiModeller for two months at the start of the group build and with at least thirty posts in the forums. So lurkers, get posting now if you want to enter! I will also vet for cynical or “gaming” entries and vote rigging.

No entry fee will be charged, but this is a good opportunity to make a donation to the upkeep of KiwiModeller.

The winner of the group build will be decided by popular vote. Voting will run for the week following the 1st of November, ending Midday the 8th of November. A deadlock will be decided by a separate run-off vote.

Battle of Britain Rules, Discussion and Entries thread

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #61 by Gary
I'm going with the 1/24 Mk1 Spitfire, I've ordered the canopy and markings masks for Squadron Leader Johnson at Tangmere (which is near where I used to live, there's also a great little pub there called the Bader Arms).
I've also got a dry transfer stencil set on order and a bunch of plastic sheets and other scratch building products.
I'm going to have a nose around and see what else can get for this bird.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #62 by Gary
Added the following items to the list
1 x GMAA2401 control stick and quadrant
1 x GMAA2406 aerial mast with bakelite base
1 x GMAA2409 Fish Tail exhausts (not sure if these will be suitable for the Mk I but if not I'll put them on the Mk V)
1 x GMAA2408 1/24 spitfire seat and frame

I've got a set of Sutton Harnesses in the "shop"
Also ordered some more 1/24 Dry transfer dials, but I've got a pack already I was going to use.
Wish Barracuda did the Rolls Royce Rocker covers in 1/24 I've got them in 1/32 and they look mint.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #63 by gibbs
I'm going for a 1/48 109 which I will be detropicalizing

I've got a set of rb barrels in the post (on a seperate note how much would postage to the UK be from you Gary) and a set of Xtradecal bob anniversary decals on the way.

It will be interesting to see the result of this as I'm looking to test a fair few new things on this build these include
Vallejo model air
maybe some mr hobby water based acrylics if I decide to order some in the required color
AK washes
Swapping from revell liquid glue over to tamiya
and if necessary a variety of different fillers - including mr surfacer and mr dissolved putty

My little corner of the internet
File Attachment:
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by gibbs.

• Grant
  • Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #64 by Grant
Decision made, I'm building this. I might have a sniff around for detail parts.

Attachments:

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #65 by Gary
You'll want to make a spar for this as the wings are flimsy, I've read that the Spitfire also suffers from this so I'll make a spar for mine as well.
Apparently the engine on this Hurri is more detailed than on the Spitfire so I might end up buying another Hurricane and casting a duplicate engine for the Spit.
A lot of the things I've just bought for the Spit would also work in/on the Hurri, plus Gray matter also do some additional parts for the Hurri.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Grant

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #66 by Xtr3meNZer
Nothing confirmed for me - but I will be looking at doing a german aircraft - either the Junkers or maybe a Heinkel... Try something a bit different for me. Think the largest scale I will be going is 1/48 - due to size lol.

Will confirm once I find the kit I want, and go from there.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #67 by Kiwimav
Awesome stuff Gary...will be watchin like a hawk

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #68 by Kiwimav
Ditto to this build too

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #69 by Viperbuilder
Looks like the battle lines are being drawn. I'll be building one of the new Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 kits in 1-48. It's a quantum leap in quality over the same type Airfix released around 5-6 years ago. It'll be August before I get to start my kit though because I'll be out of the country in July.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PJNZ

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #70 by grover
Hmm, I was looking at getting the Hurricane from Hannants but have to be strategic about purchases, so had a look at BNA as I want to order some stuff from them. They have the new Spitfire but not the Hurricane. Still undecided as I have the Millennium Falcon I have to do before August too. :unsure:

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #71 by Viperbuilder

grover wrote: Hmm, I was looking at getting the Hurricane from Hannants but have to be strategic about purchases, so had a look at BNA as I want to order some stuff from them. They have the new Spitfire but not the Hurricane. Still undecided as I have the Millennium Falcon I have to do before August too. :unsure:

PM sent. A possible option for you.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
The following user(s) said Thank You: grover

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #72 by PJNZ
Good luck to all. That Spitfire looks super cool Viper. I think I will have a go at this E3. But I'd like to do a yellow nose colour scheme. I welcome any tips on what specific plane I could replicate or where I might source relevant decals etc. Cheers

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by PJNZ.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #73 by Nosferatu

PJNZ wrote: Good luck to all. That Spitfire looks super cool Viper. I think I will have a go at this E3. But I'd like to do a yellow nose colour scheme. I welcome any tips on what specific plane I could replicate or where I might source relevant decals etc. Cheers

Try this mate
wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/32/2

Rt Hand side.. click on the individual aircraft and it will give details on that aircraft including pilot,theatre,year and colour scheme...also any other info they have on it...not all planes have info tho...

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #74 by Viperbuilder
I had a look in my decal stash to see if I had anything for a 1-32 BoB Bf-109E-3 and found an old Microscale sheet (32-19) that has white 2 of 4/JG52 on it.
Here are some images of the scheme:

It appears to be a 70/71 mottle over 65. You are welcome to the decal sheet if you want it.

www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1308338235/
www.google.co.nz/search?q=bf-109e+4/jg52...4137173%3B1600%3B581

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth
Attachments:

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #75 by PJNZ
Thank you Viper - very kind offer. I will PM you tomorrow cheers :)

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #76 by Moeggo
PJ,

I have the Profipack of the E-3.. I have only used the decals for Karl Wolff's white nosed E-3. You can have the rest if there is something in that your interested in...

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #77 by PJNZ
Thanks Moeggo for your kind offer. I will PM you. Paul :)

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #78 by Xtr3meNZer
Well, I have decided on what I want to build. I haven't got the kit yet, but I have been given permission to obtain as soon as we have the funds (about a month or so).

Going to go with this kit - yet to be ordered, but will be getting it (unless someone has a spare they wouldn't mind passing on in exchange for cash!)

Can this count as my official entry? or do we have to wait until I have the kit?

Attachments:

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #79 by Grant

Xtr3meNZer wrote: Can this count as my official entry? or do we have to wait until I have the kit?

Sure, I'll add you to the list. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xtr3meNZer

• Grant
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #80 by Grant
Great subject too. :cheer:

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #81 by Xtr3meNZer
Cheers Grant. Will eb about a month before I get the kit, and then I will be getting a few aftermarket pieces for it as well :) I see there is a bit there for it.

Will be planning on making this my best yet :)

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #82 by Kiwimav
Yes, we haven't seen a 110 build in a while...nice
Will be watchin this when you start...Eduard stuff is really good too

Dave

Update In Stash:

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #83 by Gary

Yes, we haven't seen a 110 build in a while...nice

Here's one I built earlier :P

And Another

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Gary.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #84 by Xtr3meNZer
oookay... so a bit to live up to!! :P

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #85 by PJNZ
That brown one really grabs my attention! Love the colour modulation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #86 by Flying_Kiwi
yeah,... that'd' put you off eh.... damn they look good....

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #87 by Gary
Hardly, the bottom one is the Airfix 1/72 new tooling which is really nice to build (I think that was a weekend build), the top one is the Dragon kit in 1/32 (took a lot longer) I've yet to build one in 1/48. Judging by your other work you'll do a top notch job, that kit comes with 2 nice BoB decal options (sorry can't bring myself to part with it).

Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Gary.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #88 by Gary
Here's more pics and it took a wee bit longer than a weekend but not much.
www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/37-...ng-i-built-this-week

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #89 by Xtr3meNZer

Gary wrote: Hardly, the bottom one is the Airfix 1/72 new tooling which is really nice to build (I think that was a weekend build), the top one is the Dragon kit in 1/32 (took a lot longer) I've yet to build one in 1/48. Judging by your other work you'll do a top notch job, that kit comes with 2 nice BoB decal options (sorry can't bring myself to part with it).

Lol, that is not a problem! I will get myself one, and will be looking forward to getting her built. I just hope I can do as good a job as you have done on those! Will be doing my best though... That Thyphoon just looks to awesome :P

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #90 by yak
Was real keen to have a crack at this but something has come up and all thoughts of modeling is on the back burner AGAIN!! for at least four months i'll just sit on the side line and watch the magic you all do.

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

Moderators: Andrew