Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 3 months ago #31 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: Group Builds
How about a well known cheap kit that we all make for example?
We all build an Airfix (or equivelant) 1/72 Spitfire for the Aviation build and do it OTB
It's cheap, it's relatively quick, it's a bit of fun, no one can spend loads of cash on aftermarket addons to make it better than the rest by default, we choose something iconic for each category, i.e. Tiger I, Spitfire, Something small and cheap that sits on water (other than the NZ navy).
Don't forget peeps it's all ideas at the moment so don't get bogged down with detail just yet, that can come later :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
10 years 3 months ago #32 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: Group Builds

Gary wrote: How about a well known cheap kit that we all make for example?
We all build an Airfix (or equivelant) 1/72 Spitfire for the Aviation build and do it OTB
It's cheap, it's relatively quick, it's a bit of fun, no one can spend loads of cash on aftermarket addons to make it better than the rest by default, we choose something iconic for each category, i.e. Tiger I, Spitfire, Something small and cheap that sits on water (other than the NZ navy).
Don't forget peeps it's all ideas at the moment so don't get bogged down with detail just yet, that can come later :)

Haha, my daughter just bought the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire as a birthday present for someone ( not me ). It looks like a nice simple little kit.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

More
10 years 3 months ago #33 by Whiterook
Replied by Whiterook on topic Re: Group Builds
For what it's worth, I voted site title. I'd hate to see you plunking down money for prizes, Gary.

As far as competiton goes, I think it's a healthy and productive environment, personally. Going head-to-head with oter modelers, whether better or not, is exciting and an inspiration to do better work. In fact, I count on and hope for more experienced and better modelers than I, because I am sure to be entertained and LEARN. A good thing on both. I never go into one (a build) thinking I even have a shot a winning, and I am not usually dsappointed in that regard :ohmy: But there are many reasos to win, and it's not always because you got the camo right!

• Dean
More
10 years 3 months ago #34 by Dean
There's going to be a "competition" going up tonight, it's a themed one as I've managed to get a couple of manufacturers onboard as sponsors. We're not going to be doing the "who did it best" style though, this is intended to be more fun.

I'll get details up for feedback tonight once I've thrashed it out fully then the competition proper ( with any ammendments ) will start February 1st.

In a nutshell though it is a 1/35 scale figure building competition for Masterbox Figures with the focus on seeing what people can do with them in a setting. Accuracy of painting/construction won't count, just composition.

if this one works out well we have a sponsor lined up for a second similar competition, and with two under our belt I'm hoping I can drag a couple more onboard including some local folk ( anyone got a foot in Wingnutwings door ? ).

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• Dean
More
10 years 3 months ago #35 by Dean
Oh yeah, it will be open worldwide but to the loyal followers please help us weed out counterfieters. Let's keep it honest and fun.

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 3 months ago #36 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: Group Builds
Lol, Dave!!!!
You do know that our very own Moeggo works for Wingnut?
As for the compo, we have a number of irons in the fire that Dean is working out for us, so sit tight and watch this space and then enjoy the ride :)
Oh and E-Junkie isn't allowed to enter as he's too Pro with his figures for us :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 3 months ago #37 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Group Builds
:lol: He can enter the AFV builds he's only brilliant at those.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
10 years 3 months ago #38 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Re: Group Builds
Hi guys, I've just joined and would be keen to participate in some group builds. A Kiwi themed one first up sounds good. :)

Grant

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #39 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: Group Builds
Welcome to KM Grant, great to have you here. Post a little about yourself in the introduction forum (welcome mat) so we can learn about you.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bishop.

More
10 years 3 months ago #40 by Marder38
Replied by Marder38 on topic Re: Group Builds
I'm keen on a Kiwi theme GB it does not have to be a competition I don't want to be judged having a 1/72 AFV against a 1/32 Aircraft etc, it is more the journey by having a start & end date say 3 months a part. starting with everyone post what kit they will build with a post showing a picture of the new kit in the box, then post weekly a 'work in progress' if you want a voting you could get the forum to vote for the most interesting "Work in progress" story at the end & win a cyber badge & ribbon to add below your Avatar picture.

Cheers Elliott

• McCoy
  • Manager
  • Manager
  • 1:72 is the way to fly...
More
10 years 2 months ago #41 by McCoy
Replied by McCoy on topic Re: Group Builds

Gary wrote: In hindsight I totally agree with Tony about attracting Pros, sheesh I'd hate to pitch anything against Ian aka Iron Eagle.

Hey, I wouldn't like to pitch a bird against you in a competition but I'll probably do it anyway some time. We're all better at somethin' than others. As for build ideas I favor the Kiwi thought allthough I've nothin' in my stash right now that'll be useable for it so I'm gonna have to sit out a build with that theme. But it's a great idea.

As for the votin' here above us I went with the braggin' right as I build for the fun of it n' if you take the fun out of the buildin' I can just quit n' start collectin' navel lint instead...

At my chaotic desk:

Airfix: Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72
Heller: FW 190 A-5 1:24
Revell: F-104C Starfighter 1:72
AZ Model: TP-81 Grumman Goose 1:72
Tasca: Sherman Firefly Vc 1:35
DML: Panther D 1:35
Tamiya: Char B1 Bis 1:35
Tamiya: Cromwell Mk.IV 1:35
Tamiya: Sherman M4 Early 1:35

As I build slowly...

Moderators: AndrewGaryTony Lee