Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • Rangi01
  • Rangi01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #1 by Rangi01
Academy Sopwith Camel was created by Rangi01
I have always liked the Camel and wanted to model one. While I was in Wellington perusing a model store I saw this and decided that i needed it (the Wife wasn't so sure)

Anyway, for it's size it has some nice exterior detail but no cockpit detail at all, just a molded in tub, guns are just cylinders of plastic with barrels molded in the centre and the engine is molded with the cowl but is actually not too bad. The tailskid is completely wrong and will need to be replaced.

I started with the guns, scoring them lengthways to simulate the cooling jacket, cut off the barrels and relocated them to the bottom with sprue. Decided not to add any detail to the cockpit, the opening is so small you wont see anything anyway and I am thinking of putting a pilot in there if I can find a suitable one.

Here the fuselage has been joined, it fitted quite nicely however there was a step at the bottom where the halves joined but I will be able to file this flat. Also can be seen the ejection pin marks on the undersides of both wings and the tailplane, they have been filled with disks of plasitcard.

Dry fitting every thing in place.

That's it for now, thanks for looking.

The problem witn money is, most of it belongs to people that aren't me!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
It's a lovely model, I've built one and would definitely build another, obviously it's not as good as a WnW kit but at half the price it's good enough to get a nice finish on and to get you in to building stringbags. I've got some photos somewhere I'll pop mine up I'm quite happy with the finish.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Rangi01
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #3 by Rangi01
Replied by Rangi01 on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
While trying to decide a scheme to paint the Camel, for a short time I was considering Capt. Roy Brown's machine but after I hauled out my encyclopedia of aircraft it had a scheme with a chequed nose and tail and I decided it was the one for me

And after some research I found this picture

So that's what I am going for.

I cut out slots in the tailplane, rudder and wings for the control horns and glued the struts into place. Academy has done the struts really nicely as the outer ones are completely enclosed with rails top and bottom that fit into slots in the wing. The only problem is the rails are taller than the slots are deep meaning a bit of work paring them down to size and blending them into the wing. But this system allows for accurate alignment and vey strong joints.

The top wing is just dry fitted here, also you can see the holes I have drilled for the fuel tank caps.

First job after priming is painting the tail and forward fuselage white, I then cut about 120 1.8mm squares fron some masking tape and over 2 nights applied them.

I decided, as can be seen in the last shot that getting all the individual squares aligned was just not going to work. With some head scratching I decided on a 3 step approach using strips of masking tape. Cut individual strips of tape tapering from the font down to the back and lay them side by side.

Working my way down both sides. Then remove every second one, being sure to keep them in order, then do the same thing around the fuselage.

The cowling masks had to be made from disks cut from tape (had a few goes to get this right)
Then paint thin coats of black

Now carefully remove the bands going around the fuse a put back the lengthwise ones between the existing ones to ensure eveything lines up. Now take off the original ones and carefully line the other bands on the fuelage :blink:

Paint another few thin coats of black, remove the mask and... hey presto...

This all took a number of nights and some very crossed eyes.

Thanks for looking.

More
7 years 7 months ago #4 by Grant
Replied by Grant on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
That's a pretty complex paint job to pull off. Excellent stuff. :cheer:

• Rangi01
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #5 by Rangi01
Thanks Grant.

I didn't take many pictures between the last ones and these as it was all about straight painting.

I had predrilled all the holes for the rigging using various reference pictures and the encyclodedia of aircraft for guidance. so after spraying my own mix of doped linen on the underside of the flying surfaces, masking applying aluminium to the underside of the front fuselage and then green to the rest. The decals for the fin flash were unfortunately unusable, being they got the colours backward, putting the red to the front and blue to the rear. I ended up painting these on.

Next is installing the rigging. I started with the undercarriage and it really stiffened it up, she is very sure on her feet now. Then the tail area, there are sooo many wires back there and not much room to work. I used finely stretched sprue and superglued it on then tightened them all up with a needle heated over a flame and carefully eased in near the wire 'till it pulled taught (or melted or pulled away from the join :ohmy: )

Top wing is now ready to be glued in place. The Academy strut system is so good that you almost don't need glue as the inner struts snap into their locating holes beautifully. Tricky part was making the little peanut that the rigging goes through above the guns, it is barely 2mm long but very important to the look as the rigging is assymetric top to bottom here (I have yet to tighten the rigging here).

I also tried drawing the serial number on and although it sort of came out OK I am not that happy with it.

More
7 years 7 months ago #6 by Flying_Kiwi
Replied by Flying_Kiwi on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Mate at that scale...even in 48 that paint job would be an serious pain, it is superb!

Hats off to your rigging skills mate how have you done it? stretched sprue and super glue or did you thread some line through

i admire you patience! and its paid off

Most pilots last words are "Watch this"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rangi01

• Rangi01
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #7 by Rangi01
Thanks Flying Kiwi for your kind words. It has been frustrating at times but also very enjoyable to see it all come together. (I had to redo one of the wing wires 5 times, over 2 nights, before it was right :blink: )

Some quick pics of the (nearly) finished rigging that I managed to do tonight and the gear that I used.
Very finely stretched sprue (I couldn't find any fishing line thin enough)
Supa glue
Home made supa glue applicator (needle with the end nipped off)
Pinvise
micro drill bits
tweezers (I could not have done it without the normally closed variety)
Glasses (my eyes aren't what they used to be)
Lighter
Candle
Scissors
Xacto knife
Dividers

Thanks again for looking.

More
7 years 7 months ago #8 by eyepaule
Replied by eyepaule on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Gosh that's small! The 32nd WW1 stuff isn't that big either..That masking looks way better than a decal!

Paul

• Von Drinkoften
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 7 months ago #9 by Von Drinkoften
Replied by Von Drinkoften on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
That checkered paint job is incredible!

More
7 years 7 months ago #10 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Marvellous!

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

More
7 years 7 months ago #11 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Excellent masking !

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

• Rangi01
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago #12 by Rangi01
Well after much to-do the Camel is nearly finished, just need to add a coat of Matt Varnish.
She fought me to the end as after completing the rigging I managed to drop her and she somersaulted across the floor, fortunatly the resultant damage was only 3 rigging wires coming adrift but they took 2 nights to patiently replace :silly: .
After touching up the rigging attachment points with paint the decaling went well until I hit the top R/H roundel with decal solution, it shrunk badly so I didn't use the solution on any other decals and have had to touch it up with some paint which fortunatly matched pretty well.

Thanks for looking.

Shane

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
More
7 years 5 months ago #13 by F1xena
Replied by F1xena on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Love the chequers. Looks great.

• Craig Sargent
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #14 by Craig Sargent
Replied by Craig Sargent on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
To be honest, I would not apply a matt coat. WW1 paints were glossy. Check out the reference pic you posted of the real aircraft. You can see the light reflecting off the glossy surface of the wings. Good work on painting and masking all those chequers.

On The Bench (2021)
Hasegawa 1/48 F-4J Phantom
Tamiya 1/48 Martlet IV conversion
Hasegawa 1/48 TAV-8B Harrier conversion
Trumpeter 1/32 A-10A Thunderbolt
Tamiya 1/32 F-14B Tomcat conversion
Hasegawa 1/72 F-104S Starfighter
Hasegawa 1/72 UH-60A Yanshuf conversion
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Craig Sargent.

More
7 years 5 months ago #15 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Looks great.
Nice job Rangi
Tiger

More
7 years 5 months ago #16 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Academy Sopwith Camel
Very well done Rangi. Excellent.
Terrific painting and rigging job.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary