Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
9 years 3 months ago #1 by Geek44
Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard was created by Geek44
Here's what's now keeping me off the streets. I think this kit might be an oldie, not sure but it looks okay. There's no PE included in this one but there are express masks, a pilot figure (!) with a huge sink in his chest (I never use pilot figures because they usually suck) and markings for two aircraft.
Will be trying a few new things on this including new rigging techniques and possibly a strut pinning technique I saw done once at the club I used to be a member at. There's also the prospect of having to simulate an awful lot of wood on this, the fuselage is largely unpainted plywood. Several options present from painting it to this;

www.uschivdr.com/

Check out the woodgrain decals. Available in 1/48 and 1/32. This guy is a master...look him up on Facebook and YouTube.
Anyhow, here's my kit;

Box Art.

Kit Number

Nice decals.

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 3 months ago #2 by Geek44
Replied by Geek44 on topic Re: Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard
For Bishop, here's a shot I took of Eduard's rigging diagram.

Above is an article I found last year in 'Classic Wings' magazine about the Vintage Aviator D.Va featured here;

thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/aircraf...reating-new-albatros

and I posted a video of it in flight in the WW1 research section;

www.kiwimodeller.com/index.php?option=co...&id=19104&Itemid=122

These will be some of my references. I also have a larger scale WnW kit and its instruction sheet to refer to as well as several build logs in my magazine collection.
Looking forward to this, I started cleaning up a few bits and pieces tonight.
Peace.

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty...

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #3 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard
Nice B)

I've seen plenty of Uschi's stuff online, they have some neat stuff for all modellers. Their woodgrain stuff is nice :cheer:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 3 months ago #4 by Geek44
Yes it is...but have you seen his models? His WnW L.V.G. looks like it's made of wood and his Heinkel Salamander is amazing.
Peace.

More
9 years 3 months ago #5 by Geek44
Parts that will be wood finish have had a quick coat of Tamiya Buff.

I enjoy simulating wood. Will probably use a mix of coloured pencil and oil paint.
Peace.

More
9 years 3 months ago #6 by Geek44
The wood simulation begins. Not 100% happy with the result yet. Luckily oil paint has a very long drying time so it will still be workable tonight.

Colours are Yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber.

An old CD as a palette...I added some white after I took the pic and in the little white lid blu-tacked to the bench is some clean white spirit.

The parts ready with Tamiya Buff base colour.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #7 by Geek44
And here are some of the results...

Questions that arise for me include; Is my wood grain 'in scale'? The answer is probably 'No way' but...sometimes I think it can be effective to caricature things just a bit...artists do it all the time. It can be less about rigid 'reality' and more about trying to sell an impression.
Still perfecting this. There are some folks who do an incredible job and I can only be inspired by them at this stage. Honestly, if I wasn't saving my bikkies for an over seas trip I'd try some of Uschi's wood grain decals.
Will work on this a bit more tonight hopefully.
Peace.

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Geek44.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #8 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard
The wood pattern looks good to me, maybe a little out of scale like you say, but it LOOKS like wood B)

Like anything with models the more you practise/do it, the better you become :cheer:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #9 by azaminis
Replied by azaminis on topic Re: Albatros D.V in 1/48 by Eduard
Thats a great result geek, very subtle and it looks like varnished wood to me. Fun.
Looks like a jewish star on the box art And deaths head on the decals.

Kraft durch Freude:Strength through joy.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by azaminis.

More
9 years 3 months ago #10 by Geek44
Thanks for the input lads. I still have a way to go but it should be ok.
Yep it sure looks like a Star of David and that's the aircraft I'll be building. To be sure, watching the movie 'The Red Baron' there is a view of this Albie (in the trailer below) but also a pilot ( Michael Sigmann, Jasta 78b Eduard Albatros D.V 1/72 Profi-Pack No. 7020) with a black fuselage with dozens of white stars with Hebrew lettering on his horizontal stabilisers. The kit has no Hebrew markings and I seriously doubt the movie as an accurate source but it's worth noting that the anti-semitism associated with Germany from the late 20's to 1945 was not overt during the Great War. I put it that way because I believe you can find anti-semitism everywhere, anytime if you look.
The movie is pretty entertaining in my opinion I doubt it bears a lot of resemblance to the reality of Manfred von Richthofen's life and/or deeds.

Peace.

More
9 years 3 months ago #11 by Geek44
See Sigmann's aircraft at 0.33. The real Albatros had a natural wood panel with the letter 'S' instead of the Star of David and no Hebrew on the tail.

Peace.

More
9 years 3 months ago #12 by Geek44
I think this is better after a little more work.

Peace.

Moderators: AndrewTony LeeGary