DML StuG III ausf C/D

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
9 years 8 months ago #61 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
That's true. There's nothing like looking at it all when its done and seeing what you're actually supposed to see rather than what you think you're supposed to.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #62 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Crispy fried noodles is how I'm feeling at the moment, but a small update is at hand.

I decided to complete the shell of the fighting compartment, drop in the floor, and drop in the fire wall. As an experiment, I tried using DAS to try and replicate tread plate pattern using a fly screen as an imprint tool.

Anyway. I was dissappointed with the rear of the fighting compartment. It was pretty much out all ways so a replacement was in order.

I needed to try and find some true lengths and so the "guessing" began. Ruler and calculator in hand we set off. Here is the fire wall and floor put down. I've penciled in where the various boxs, drive shaft cvovers etc need to go. It'll just give me an idea of where things go when I eventually get to it.

Before gluing in the wall, I'd cut out a hole for what I'd guess is an engine inspection panel. The hull superstructure/roof hasn't been glued down yet. The back of the wall has been extensively reinforced with strip to prevent warping and to give strength. I imagine I'll have some filling and sanding to do.

And with the fighting compartment added. There's going to be abit to see, what with the width and breadth of the open hatches

Here is the treadplate experiment. I'm afraid it's not a very good shot but it shows you how useful the stuff is. I got the idea from Dean originally. I was planning to use it here for this build but I might try and refine it for the Tiger.

The piece is about 1mm approx thick, and its held the pattern I squeezed into it quite well. I'll give it some welly and see where it takes me.

Until next time. :cheer:

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

More
9 years 8 months ago #63 by Bishop
Great idea with the Das. It will be good to see this as an actual c/d interior

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #64 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: Great idea with the Das. It will be good to see this as an actual c/d interior

Yeah. In the end, I decided it just wasn't to be for this one. I just don't want to get sucked in to it too much. I'm enjoying it immensely but I've got that Tiger to finish.

So, I just finished the floor using glue and a steel mesh I have, just stamping tthe mesh into the plastic as the glue bites into it. Not very precise but easy to do and with the roof on it really wont be seen anyway.

More
9 years 8 months ago #65 by Bishop
Good idea. I didn't know the hatch behind the driver was stepped in like that. Very nicely done. I need to scribe it in while I can.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 8 months ago #66 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
The DAS can be very handy stuff but a little brittle to work with. I generally make it on glass then when it's set cut it to shape, coat it with super glue and then just glue it in.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #67 by agyoung33

Dean wrote: The DAS can be very handy stuff but a little brittle to work with. I generally make it on glass then when it's set cut it to shape, coat it with super glue and then just glue it in.

Thanks bud. I remember the zim example on your site and though I won't use it here I'll definitely be using it somewhere down the line. I've got to find a nice rolling pin first up! :)

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #68 by Dean
Just remember to wash it well if you pinch it from the kitchen. Saves having the wife ask "what's all these hard lumps on my rolling pin ?"

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #69 by agyoung33

Dean wrote: Just remember to wash it well if you pinch it from the kitchen. Saves having the wife ask "what's all these hard lumps on my rolling pin ?"

Yes ofcourse. Mustn't disturb the the delicate balance that is the kitchen... :whistle:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #70 by agyoung33
I've made alittle progress tonight - too tired from work today to go out - mainly on some of the easier interior stuff.

It's just boxes at the moment which is relaxing enough. The first piece was the rear ammo bin and the "box that it sits on. Not quite finished - I'll leave the lid catches off for the meanwhile. Too easy to break.

You may also note that I've only made 9 stick grenade holders when there should be 12. Well, I wanted to go via plastic and not brass or copper - too much effort for not enough payback. You're going to have the rear of the recoil guard, as well as the tighness of the hatches to hide this. I'm not too fussed. :P

I'd been impressed by the locking handles that Dean had scratched on his Steyr, so decided to give it a go myself. They came out ok. I've also added a splinter guard(?) that protects the bottom of the hole for the 7.5cm. Welds beads next for this when I have a bit of spare time.

Ammo box and drive shaft cover dry fitted.

And through the hatches.

Until next time! :)

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #71 by Bishop
Beautiful work. This is just one of the big differences between the standard C and the c with the L48. This ammo box and stick G holder will not fit in with the L48 filling the area. I painted the section behind where this would have been a different colour to suggest that something had been there. Just be aware that you won't be able to see too much more than this and the front of the forward ammo boxes, even with the three hatches. So some of this will be "just because I know its there" rather than for display.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Bishop.

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #72 by Dean
Love it, if you keep this up you're going to force me to lift my game.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #73 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: Beautiful work. This is just one of the big differences between the standard C and the c with the L48. This ammo box and stick G holder will not fit in with the L48 filling the area. I painted the section behind where this would have been a different colour to suggest that something had been there. Just be aware that you won't be able to see too much more than this and the front of the forward ammo boxes, even with the three hatches. So some of this will be "just because I know its there" rather than for display.

Thankyou Bish. I've been looking at how much to do here, blocking off holes to gauge just how much internal light I'm going to work with once covers etc get glued on. One thing that caused some trepidation is that I can just see where the drivers vision block should be. Either way, this is a great fun build.

Dean wrote: Love it, if you keep this up you're going to force me to lift my game.

Thanks mate, 'ppreciate your kind words. Got to admit that scratching is just really really fun! :cheer:

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by agyoung33.

More
9 years 8 months ago #74 by Bishop
You could then put in the back of the driver's seat and the vision block. The seat would take care of anything forward of that below line of sight, probably the block area too.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #75 by Dean

scratching is just really really fun!

Isn't it just. I'm currently collecting references to do a complete scratchbuild of a Faun L900 Tank transporter.

More
9 years 8 months ago #76 by Bishop
Yes, as much as I may have wanted the kit parts for the building I've been doing, there's nothing like making it yourself, and it actually looks the part.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #77 by agyoung33

Dean wrote:

Isn't it just. I'm currently collecting references to do a complete scratchbuild of a Faun L900 Tank transporter.

When is this slatted for mate? I'll be in!

Dead right Bish! There's some sort of weird satisfaction thing happening when you manipulate plastic....In a good way, ofcourse.

More
9 years 8 months ago #78 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D

Dean wrote:

Is that road or rail transporter dean?

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #79 by Dean
This one

You can already get a resin kit of it plus the Sd.Ah.115 trailer if you hunt around for it, but I'd like to have a go at making my own.

I have the Wespe Model Faun L900 10 Ton Crane so I'll use that as a guide and build a complete new one from scratch. Just haven't decided yet if I'll redo the wheels or cast copies from the Wespe kit.

Attachments:

More
9 years 8 months ago #80 by Bishop
Cast them, it would be much easier. That's a good one to scratch build, not too many curves.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #81 by Dean
Yeah that's what I figured. Simple curves are easy, compound curves would require a lot more work.

More
9 years 8 months ago #82 by Bishop
Does this use a box chassis?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #83 by Dean
Yeah it does, most of the construction will be pretty straight forward, it's just working out dimensions and all the little details.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #84 by agyoung33
When are you thinking of starting this? Some time next year mate?

• Dean
More
9 years 8 months ago #85 by Dean
Yup, it's next winter's project

More
9 years 8 months ago #86 by Bishop
So Gaz how's it going today?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 8 months ago #87 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Fine thanks Tony, hows you? :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #88 by Bishop
Gaarrrryyyy!!! :drum: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Bishop.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #89 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: Gaarrrryyyy!!! :drum: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too many Garys around here. :side: ...I'm ok mate. Been busy with alot of stuff going on. It's hard sometimes but that's life. I didn't get around to sending the mantlet to you, but will tomorrow. I was on the bus into town when I remembered! Bugger.

As to the StuG, I've just started on the main weapon mount. Easy stuff so far. :)

More
9 years 8 months ago #90 by Bishop
Bump, how's this going?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary