• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #331 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Hi Wally,

thankyou very much mate!! Believe me, I felt the same way when I looked at your stunning Catalina.
The detail you've put into that build is beautiful. I'm taken out by the fact that you are a brush painter bud, and how fast you move with it. Having been exclusively a brush user I can appreciate just how much effort you've put in and the effects you've achieved - and on a model that size that's saying something!

Is it a concious decision to use only brush man, or is it dictated by economics? I made the leap and I think that the skills I learned via just using brush are very aplicable when it comes to working out light, shade and shadow. Anyway, you'll see me around alot more, asking dopey newby questions about planes! :)

I've been down to the library, printed off the mags. Excercised. Lunched. And on my day off, took some photos....

These printed off quite well, I was expecting jaggys on them both but the resolution seemed to be fine enough for basic detail to be made out. For interest, I chose "Signal", a mag that was the equivalent of "Life", and an Italian skin mag. The Signal mag has on the cover a famous pic - two gunners manning a Pak38, both of them with hands in the air after apparentley hitting something. Staged photo if ever I saw one - I can imagine the landsers, like any other frontline grunt going "ok, you want something cheesy?"

The second mag, also dates from that time period. It's cover is quite disturbing in that there is a woman on the front cover, half naked, wearing swastika armbands etc. Whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Now, just got to get the brightness out of the "pages" I've inserted between the covers.

Have a great day chaps!

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by agyoung33.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #332 by agyoung33
Okay. Roll out the beer. Apart from very minor tweaks, this is the end of part 1 for "Lutzow"....

I've got about 40 pics. It's tough deciding which ones make the cut.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #333 by agyoung33

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #334 by agyoung33
Interior;

Wooh!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: First completed model back!!! Feels good to actually get one done!!! Fantastic learning experience. Thanks fullas for the encouragement and everything! Going to get some planning done for the base and figures etc. There's a plan to be had!!

Thanks for coming over!!! Comments, whatever, welcome!!!

More
9 years 1 month ago #335 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Two things. One I've justed noticed which I will have to deal with is the lack of track pin holes on the two "prongs" end of the track (where the two front sections of the track link into the next track) The other thing is that I'm not sure how the guys would have got an english speaking playboy, when playboy magazine hadn't been invented yet. (1953 it was first published). Otherwise this is one of the best I've seen mate, truly outstanding.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

More
9 years 1 month ago #336 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Congrats on getting her finished Gary,looks really,really good :)

The birds eye view shot and the through the hatches are really convincing :woohoo:

More
9 years 1 month ago #337 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
A M A I Z I N G. I agree, it's the best i've seen. You should be proud. Look forward to the figures and ground work. :woohoo:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #338 by agyoung33
Thanks guys, very nice of you. I'm happy with it - to finish the kit was great - for awhile there I felt myself going "when is this going to stop" but...we got there. Hey Glenn, thanks again for the decals, that was just great of you, and Tiger, I think the figures and base are going to be tougher than the kit. I'm an absolute newby on those fronts but, I figure it's going to teach me how to do things and above all I think it'll be fun!

Speaking about fun - I was halfway looking towards getting cranked up for some planning and some plastic cutting when ---Bish!! Yes, I've just checked and you are right about the tracks. I just forgot about the holes for the pins. I've put them on the front, as well as a piece of wire for the track pin on one. But the rear!! Totally forgot, as they were the first spare track runs I made!!

Ah! I've checked too the mag, and it is Italian, but I was just too eager to print it off and didn't check up on the date. It's an anachronism, yes, so I'll just print off something else and lay it on top of the skin mag....Bugger! I was so eager to show something different! Good spotting Bish!! :cheer: :cheer:

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
9 years 1 month ago #339 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Give the little lady a BIG hand :woohoo: Great finish for a GREAT show :woohoo:

Tony lee :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #340 by agyoung33
Hey thanks Tony! yes, She put on a good show, even though I tried my darndest to complicate things!

More
9 years 1 month ago #341 by Woods
Replied by Woods on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Outstanding work , love the weathering !

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #342 by agyoung33
Thanks man. :) I'm just glad that I decided at the start to make this a veteran vehicle. It just gave me a license to try out all these techniques I'd been reading about. Lot o' fun!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #343 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Awesome stuff Gary, it looks really good! B)

I love the contrast that having the hatches open provides :woohoo:

What figures are you thinking of using?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #344 by agyoung33

Andrew wrote: ....I love the contrast that having the hatches open provides :woohoo:

What figures are you thinking of using?

Thanks mate! Yeah, I saw that contrast in my minds eye right from the start - wanted 2 worlds, out and in and tried to illustrate it. Would have liked to have put in a bottle or two but there's always next time.

The figures - I really haven't had a play yet. I figure a couple of figures at least. Crew, plus some pioneers. I've got some good photos of Heer uniforms from '42 that I'd love to have a go at. Ofcourse, this is all preparation to be able to get to grips with painting those zeltbahn inspired camo uniforms!

But, first things first!! Got to crawl before I can walk....

Oh...and I've opened the box to an old friend. I'll be starting a new thread soon! :cheer:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #345 by agyoung33
Played alittle with the plastic people, and finally got around to getting them into something which I could relate to around the StuG. Here they are and really, for a guy who never really thought much about figures it's like stepping into another world!!

I've used a mix, all DML; Storm pioneers, Early Panzer crew, panzer crew escaping Kursk and something else from the deep past which I can't quite remember where the heck it came from....

You can't see it because I shot this in the wrong light but I've added some muscle tone to his arms. Previously I thought he just looked too soft.

I shaved off the comms gear he had wrapped around his neck and left hand as it's still in the StuG!!

The last one is perhaps the first part of my starting to get to know just how complicated figures can be. I thought I'd have to bring out the saw but as it turns out I don't have to alter any angles on the limbs. :silly:

Lastly, a sample of the figures I have. The ones in the middle and left to the viewer are Tam. I tried increasing the depth of the creases on the centre figure but it (or should I say "I"), didn't cut it. I've also changed heads on two of these figures. Like they say, it's all fun until someone looses their head!!

Cheers guys! :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #346 by Bishop
There are some good selections there. Will it be an on the move diorama or stopping to rest (we have arrived) sort of thing?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 1 month ago #347 by Glenn
Nice work on those figures Gary :)
Great start :cheer: Some of my little men lose there head to :lol:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #348 by agyoung33
Thankyou again guys.

Well, the dio hopefully will convey a sense of wanting to get moving....we want to go to point b, but we know it's going to be hard, that sort of atmosphere. We'll see if I'm successful or not later on but for now it's trying to learn from my mistakes as I bump along.

Glenn, at the moment I'm thinking myself into corners, and therefore I'm going insane with inactivity over this piece. I think enough is enough and I'll dive in shortly. I'm inspired by your Italian adventure, so thankyou!

More
9 years 1 month ago #349 by Tiger
Look forward to the finished dio, truely outstanding work :) :) :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #350 by agyoung33
Well, I've been quietly thinking and thinking. Just how the heck do you paint the little guys? I used to just bang on a bit o paint and then leave them as is. I wanted to do something different, try some new stuff - actually get some technique!!

I primed all the figures after I'd cleaned them up and then thought, "what do I do next?"

I'd read about wet on wet, using acrylics. So I went and got a bottle of retarder and got down to it. I laid down a base coat, and then started putting in shadows and highlights, just as I read. As you can see, they came out alittle flat and I was very dissappointed! :S

The contrasts were nowhere near what I saw in my head. And then I thought to myself. Bugger. I'll treat the lot of you like you were an armour build. So, I started laying down localised oil washes, using burnt umber and black, pin along the sharp lines and broader along the clothing creases. So far so good.

I was pleased with it and since I was on a roll, I painted the face as well. Also using oils!!

I used the optivisor for this and I can't see how I would be able to paint faces without it. In contrast to the uniform, the faces were much easier. Which is backward. Not right. Bloody enjoyed myself!! :lol:

I'll tidy up some of the oils tomorrow and begin another figure. Man, half way into the uniform I thought I'd painted a candidate for the rubbish bin....Came out much better than I expected! Pumped!! :woohoo:

Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by agyoung33.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #351 by Bishop
Have you used oils on him? he looks great. I have to get an optivisor or something of the sort. Can't see anything anymore.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #352 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Those extra set of eyes sure do make a difference. I find i'm using mine more and more. :dunno:

Tony lee

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #353 by grunzter
Replied by grunzter on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Yeh, i also have to use my second set of eyes as well. :whistle:

I like the face painting, could you let us know what oil colours you used for the face?
I have not touched a figure in donkey's years, and am keen to do a few...
many thanks Grant
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by grunzter.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #354 by Glenn
Nicework Gary :) He looks great.
You painted the oil paint on to a base coat or primer?

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #355 by agyoung33
Hi Bish, Tony, Grant and Glenn!
Thanks guys. :cheer: Yeah, terrifying as the little guys are to paint, I think I'm starting to assemble a methodology to tackle them.

I used multiple types of paint to tackle our mate here. Gunze Sanyo Dark grey was the primer. The uniform base, along with all detail painting was Valleyo (German feild grey, etc). I mixed the feild grey with their flesh base to try and get highlights on the uniform.

The face and hands had a Valleyo "base flesh" as its base. Then it's all oil paint from this point on. :S I put on a thin layer of Burnt Umber over the whole face, more around the underhang of the chin, around the eye sockets etc. I mixed in a lighter shade and went over the whole face again, blending in etc. Basically, I was mixing the burnt umber with;

-Crimsom
-Bright red
-titanium white

trying to get lighter with each "pass" until I ended up using just titanium white, for the cheek bones, the ridge of the nose, and the eyebrow ridge.

Grant, the oils I have are a mix. I got a basic no name set which had all the basic colours, as well as afew tubes of the Windsor Newton stuff. I'd like to try "Pebo" (I think that's the name), Dean recommended that brand as being pretty cool.

The oils are forgiving in that they dry real slow, and blend really well and I suppose "blend" was the key for me. Anyway, overnight it's given me other ideas. I want to see what the effect is when I use green coloured oils on the uniform itself, blending as I go.

I'm sure there are figure experts out there who are watching my tentitive steps with a wry smile! Pipe up if you have suggestions!

Yes, and the optivisor....best $25.00 I've spent in the hobby so far....

Cheers
Gary

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #356 by Bishop
Gary I know this is a silly question, but what type of store did you buy it from, Hardware, optical?? Stupid me, but I have no idea where to look and really need one... I'm getting old.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #357 by agyoung33
Mate, if you mean the optivisor, I got it from the local hobby shop. It's a great tool and I wish I'd gotten one earlier. The one I've got has 3 magnifications, and even little lights. It's put out by "Promodel", I think? They also seem to be flooding the market with other tools like hobby blades and knives etc. Shouldn't be hard to get one online either if the LHS doesn't have any in stock.

A friend who assembles and solders PC motherboards recommended that I get one to save my vision.

Go on!! Your'e only as old as you feel mate!!!

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #358 by Tiger
The good old optivisor, you can't go without one, especially pianting figures.
Nice work Gary (ag) figures look good.
I use Windsor & Newton oils for the faces and it goes on well, oils certainly make blending easier.
Personally I use Humbrol enamels which work well for me although I probably should venture out and use another brand just for a change.
Oh and Tamiya grey or white primer rattle can for base.
Thanks for the break down very similar to my process
Cheers, thanks for the info :cheer:
Dave

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #359 by agyoung33
You're welcome Dave; I figured that I was on the right track and if the process I use is similar to yours then I should be okay in the long run. Just got to practise. :)

Might try just using enamels as the base and see how that goes. And if I recall correctly, I've got some rattle can Tam primer somewhere as well....

I've laid on a base with another figure and it looks exactly like the other one prior to putting the oil washes etc (flat and dull). Am I missing something? I'm using an art store acrylic retarder, and I'm using water initially to thin the Valleyo acrylics I've got. Mix ratio is 1:1 paint/retarder.

Any takers for the question? :dunno:

Cheers
Gary

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #360 by agyoung33
Just had another little play with the figures. The first one, the officer having a quiet moments contemplation has had a tough time. I've stripped the face down three times and started anew - all to get them eyes! I blame Glenn!!! :P

And I've given the loader a go as well. Bit of clean up for this dude when I get a quiet moment.

Cheers guys, any comments on how to get better at this would be welcome!!!

Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary