DML StuG III ausf C/D

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
9 years 2 months ago #301 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
My favourites are the rear railings (just as I imagined... outstanding mate) and the jerry cans. It all looks top, I really like the chipping too. I like the colour you've used instead of German grey.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #302 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Thanks Bish! I went through some contortions trying to get the burnt steel effect kind of right. I was also trying to get the grey flaky stuff which if I remember rightly is the stuff right next to the weld bead but....

I wanted to be quite restrained in the chipping, and I'm glad you like the multitonal look of the grey! :)

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #303 by agyoung33
Oh yes, one more thing. Looking at those welds on the racks, they're alittle on the amatuerish side - I'd say the welder lost his job after that little number... :lol:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #304 by agyoung33
Lots done over the break. Got to get back to work tomorrow so tried to make the most of things (among the usual that is....)

This is the tool box on the rhs. Liked the first, but mucked it up. The second one looked too much like wrought iron rather than sheet metal. So...

Just needs a matt coat and dust I think.

Without dust, and decals.

And with. Bit hacked off at myself really. Should have waited for the decals (thanks Glenn) before embarking on the weathering but it's been so long that it just slipped the mind. So after applying the decal setter etc and plonking the stuff down it appears too new. had to weather abit more. Not that satisfied with the finish.

I applied some paint et al to try and blend in the markings with the rest of the StuG. Fair to say that it didn't come out that great and I've lost some of that "multi" grey I worked so hard to get. Sigh.

More
9 years 1 month ago #305 by Bishop
I would chip the crests just a little, that will tie them in and remove the "new" look just a little more. Sensational work mate

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 1 month ago #306 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Looks good Gary :) getting closer to getting them tracks on and heading back out too the battle field :cheer:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #307 by agyoung33
Thanks guys. I've decided that the panels that the decals are on are just too "flat" in colour for my liking, so I've stripped the paint around the decals and have started again on painting that nice deep grey. I'm pretty hopeful I can pull it off - I think it means that I'll have to relearn how to dry brush again....

The way it was before it just kicked the balance out - I'd have to reweather the whole model again to get it like the decaled panels.

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by agyoung33.

More
9 years 1 month ago #308 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
You have go some serious skills!!!! - Fantastic!!!

Spec Ops Scout.....what we do in the Shadows

On the Work Bench:
1/72 FM Millenium Falcon
1/24 Studio Scale X-Wing

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #309 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Bummer about the decal weathering, but I'm sure you'll get it right, and looking how you want very shortly :woohoo: The rest is looking great man, I can't wait for the masking to come out of the interior, and seeing the contrast :cheer:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 1 month ago #310 by Bishop
That sounds like a good idea with the panels. The good thing is that its localised so its not a disaster. You can still chip the decals just the tiniest amount and that will age them too.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #311 by agyoung33
Thanks for the praise and encouragement guys! Yes, it is a bonus that it is only localised, otherwise I'm afraid my Stug would be heading towards the bin.... :dry: :oops:

So, it's recoverable and I'm about halfway there. I've laid down a dark base, followed by about 4 shades of increasingly lighterbase. I followed it by painting the decals abit, just to get some different shades of white and black poking through, especially the crests.

I've laid down a blue oil filter, and it does remind me of the colour the Stug was before I started to weather it. Not as nice or as cloudy (I haven't dry brushed in years unfortunately), but it will do.

I will chip the decals Bish, as there has been some damage due to the repaint process. Andrew, I'm looking forward to unmasking as well. The interior seems a million miles away!! :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #312 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Excellent weathering on the PZgrey B)

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #313 by agyoung33
Thanks Maarten, really nice of you to say so. :)

Well, I've gone for it and blended in the decals. It's a mistake I hope I won't make again, forgeting about the decals so far into the weathering process. But, pics of the results, and along the way...

Cleaned up panels and a coat of grey layed down;

Starboard side panel weathered.

Port side weathered.

So, its come a ways further. I think it came out okay, I'm still thinking of adding some more damage to the RHS, in the form of another non-penetrating hit.

The LHS panels I think may be literally overshadowed by the gunners hatch. I'm thinking of fixing it open, which means abit of detailing. Nothing much but it will allow more light into the interior. I'm getting to the end of this stage and will be gluing the gun mount, and fixing the casemate to the hull!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #314 by agyoung33
con;

Here is the gunners port/hatch that I'm thinking of turning over and covering. Dang, I put so much work into this piece!

Does anyone know what colour the rear lights were? I'm enquiring about the distance keeping convoy light on the rear LHS and its mate on the RHS rear.

Thanks for taking a look. Any questions, or answers, please just fire away!

Cheers
G

Attachments:

More
9 years 1 month ago #315 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
I can't believe that is plastic etc. Amazing, That is an incredible talent you have.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 1 month ago #316 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Putting it mildly, it really looks the shit man :woohoo:

The weathering looks fantastic.

I can't wait to see you go to work on your newer StuG :cheer:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #317 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Convoy lights when they are on are all green along the top ( the four smaller square ones ), the lights on the bottom and right are brake lights and when on are red. If not in use the centre flap of the convoy lights is often folded up to cover them as it allowed the brake lights to be more easily seen. If not in use they would all look like a very dark green, almost black.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Dean.

More
9 years 1 month ago #318 by Glenn
Top job on the weathering Gary,nice save with the decals, :) must be getting close to been done :woohoo:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #319 by agyoung33
Thanks guys, although I think the weathering was born out of necessity (read desparation) rather than any inspireration!! :lol:

Thanks Dean, I thought it was the case but was too lazy to Google (TM) it. I've got a nice bottle of Tamiya clear green that I'm going to try out when I get home after work. Along with some red and amber for the other rear light.

Glenn, I had to save the decals!! I couldn't let you down mate!!! Cheers for sending them over!

Thanks Andrew, yeah, I'm looking forward to the next StuG but that may be a while. On the build list after this is an old DML JS 2 early, which won't be as involved as this one. I think I want to make it as an abandoned wreck, circa 1944, Targu Frumos in Romania. There is also the Hummel I bought recently, which will be the next intensive build. As for the Academy Tiger, that is under the gun at the moment. I'm going to review it with the thought of either continuing it, or perhaps scrapping it and using it for parts. I can't see myself finishing it at the moment, knowing that I'd want to strip it of the paint I've already laid down

Early days yet Gary, Dean has convinced me to make a (simple) base for this. I want to explore that and get into doing my first figures for about 10 or so years! I'm excited! I even went and bought a cheap picture frame yesterday!!! :cheer:

Catch yaz!

More
9 years 1 month ago #320 by Glenn
Food colouring mixed with klear works a treat for armour glass and tail lights,if the part is not clear plastic,paint silver first :cheer:

More
9 years 1 month ago #321 by Bishop
Gaz before you strip down the Tiger, do the oven cleaner paint stripper trick first. Try stripping it and use a soft tooth brush to gently rub the stuff off. Remove the mess under gentle running water into a sink with a plug in it (so that you can save any parts that come adrift), and repeat with the oven cleaner until it brings everything off for you rather than trying to scrub stuff off. Some enamel paints just won't budge, but actually stain the plastic. The surface is still nice and flat though.

You can sort that Tiger out, its far too good a build to forget or trash. This is the season for rescuing models that are sitting on the edge of destruction. Gary should be getting the Mosquito sorted out too.

Geez I sound like your mother, but you know what I mean. We need some whole vehicle photos of this StuG. Mate, what Andrew said. I wish I could watch you guys doing this painting/ weathering thing.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #322 by agyoung33
Thanks Tony, it's all in the air after this build.

As to pics of the whole thing I'm abit nervous about that. I look, and there are little spots that need touching up - you know, late build paranioa. :lol: I'm going to get some major stuff done first before opening the lens up - get it looking like it's a home to its crew etc.

Speaking about that, I've done some more detail painting, specifically personal effects, and the reverse side of the gunners hatch. It's all coming along. One thing that's looming fast are the figures - I've got to break them out and play with angles etc. Mind, there is an awesome figure painter that I've only just discovered on the net. Calvin Tan. Man, this guy is the shiz!!!! I've been reading up on his techniques and hope to use them and actually get something that looks vaguely human!!

As for weathering mate, just experiment. Just remember, this is the first time I've employed these techniques.There are plenty of sbs out on the net. Previously I used alot of drybrushing to try and get the same effect. (I used to preshade all my builds in black, by brush, and then drybrushed for dear life). Got very good at dry brushing but the effect and time saved using my present techniques? Man, there is no comparison.

My motto concerning painting is this. I have about 5-10 different shades each of grey, green, brown and yellow. I've got a black, as well as a white to mix up even more shades. It only takes a 256 colour palette to begin to fool the human eye....

Sorry to sound like a know it all - clearly I'm don't but there is no mystery to it. It's easier than you think mate! :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #323 by agyoung33
Smallish update, mainly because work and other commitments have come to the fore.

I'd say that I'm fairly happy with the weathering so far. I know that I will have to put on some more dust, as handling the kit has meant that I've wiped off some of the dust I'd carefully laid. These photos also show that I need to touch up certain areas as well.

I've pulled the masks off the hatches, and it does look good, but I've still got to add alittle detail to the interior before I can glue down the superstructure. Ofcourse this also means that I can't glue the tools on the RHS. Still, I'm off to the library tomorrow to do some printing and hopefully put together a mag.... :lol:

I had heard that this StuG abt 177 named some of their vehicles after famous German statemen/soldiers, so I gave a it go at free painting "Lutzow" on both sides. Lucky for me I hadn't been at the gin already otherwise it would have been a complete disaster....

The exhausts I must've done about 3 times, and I'm still just bit unsatisfied by the result.

The wooden trough for the aerial got another coat of red brown, just to bring it into play with the axe handle, which will get a grey fired through it as it's too vibrant.

The rear plate is about there. Looking at the photo I need to add alittle more in the way of gouge marks caused by the spare track links. Likewise on the front.

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Bishop.

More
9 years 1 month ago #324 by Bishop
sh*t sh*t sh*t that looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The name works so well. This is a real tank not a model

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #325 by agyoung33
con.

Getting down to it.

Looking at the tools...man, I thought I'd cleaned them up but they are just :pinch: . I should have gotten another set.

I was happy with the jack though. I think it needs another coat of clear flat to set it off just right.

My fav of this update. I was thinking for the tracks, that I should paint over the steel bits with black, and then repaint with steel.Hmm. Still might.

Thanks for looking in. Comments as usual welcome! Cheers!! :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #326 by Bishop
Me again. I love the chipping and rust around the sills of the hatches. That's real.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #327 by agyoung33
Bloody oath, but you scared me there Bish!

I was would you believe correcting my spelling and trying to make the posts actually make some sort of sense!!! I suppose it must be beer oclock!

Thanks again for the kind words!!

About the name. I've seen photos of StuG c/ds of abt 177 named Derflinger and Seydlitz. Knowing that trying to write either of these onto the kit would be a bridge too far I chose Lutzow because it was short. I have no evidense or research that there ever was one named as such....

Must be time for a beer! B) :cheer:

Thanks again Bish! :)

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
9 years 1 month ago #328 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Mighty fine AG mighty fine B)

Close up shots take nerve guy
Tony lee

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 1 month ago #329 by agyoung33
Thanks Tony! Yeah, getting to know the camera has been a double edged sword. I love it that it can get in that close and get me great shots, but then it shows up every little mistake or short cut I took along the way!

More
9 years 1 month ago #330 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Yes, but what can one say without multiple expletives!? Or something like, "Holy mother of Jayzus!" Descriptive words of praise totally fail to convey my amazement. This is absolutely astonishingly brilliant. But wait, you want critique, yes. Feedback. Let me see if I can find some sort of mistake or error or blemish. Ahhh ........... Could the reflector on the headlight be slightly more chromium? Ummmm ...... no, I can't find any.

Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My preference - WW2 RNZAF & Pacific Theatre, Allied & Axis, ETO, Mediterranean, AFV & figures
I enjoy doing research

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary