• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #241 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
con.

Having also decided that I wanted my StuG from a certain unit, I decided to whip off one of the spare wheel mounts.

Ofcourse, feeling all content I then went back and had a look for the decals that are illustrated in the instructions. Only to find that they maybe ;

a) weren't part of the kit (this is the old DML kit with the long barreled 7.5 on a C/D)

or

b) were lost.

:dry: :lol:

I suppose I'll shell out some cold hard cash for some AM decals!!

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by agyoung33.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 2 months ago #242 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
It just keeps getting better B) Mice detailing work with the wiring :woohoo:

What decals do you need? I've got several spare sheets of various Balkenkruez and numbers

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #243 by agyoung33
Thanks Andrew! I used brass sheet from an engraving set for the little attachment pieces - I was going to throw it out because it had no strength being so thin but it worked a treat here.

Thankyou for the offer mate, very kind of you. I am looking for the insignia for StuG Abt 177. The shield with the griffin(?) sold it. If you have a set I'd gladly pay for them bud!

More
9 years 2 months ago #244 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D

Andrew wrote: Mice detailing work with the wiring

What, you got mice doing your models now!!! What with Tony's elf helpers and now mice sheesh :P

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #245 by agyoung33
The mice actually have hands which are just the right size for this type of work. Stopping the cat from getting at the mice - that's the problem!

More
9 years 2 months ago #246 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Crap, no they didn't have the C/D decals only the L48 ones. Mate, just look at that handle.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #247 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: Crap, no they didn't have the C/D decals only the L48 ones. Mate, just look at that handle.

Thanks Bish, for comfirming that, and for the compliment. For a moment, I thought you were talking about the handles I've got either side of my stomach.... :huh:

At least I don't have to scramble through all the boxes trying to find a set of non-existent decals now.... :side:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 2 months ago #248 by Andrew
Ok, I'll have to look, or I'll send the mice :dry: :lol:

I might have a PE stencil of it that you could borrow if I don't have the decals. I'll just need to remember where I put that :huh:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #249 by agyoung33
Thanks Andrew. I'm really after the formation sheild, though. I don't know if you'd have a stencil of that! :) If you do I'd love to have a go on it!!!

My job today on my day off was to put the primer coat on, followed by a post shade.

I used an old bottle of Gunze light/grey blue. Sprayed on well enough - it was bye bye to the brass bits.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #250 by agyoung33
con;

I used Gunze gloss black, heavily thinned to post shade.

I think, with a little regret, that I am already discovering the limitations to the setup I've got. I'm alittle disappointed with the black lines that I sprayed down - not that it matters much because they'll be tidied up by the base colour - it's just that I did everything possible to try and get the finest line possible, and it still came out relatively thick. For where I want to go to, at the moment, there isn't enough control over the paint. :blink:

I hate to say it but I've come up against the end of the line for the Tam spray gun kit. In my first. Model. Back..... I think it's time to seriously look at alternatives.

More
9 years 2 months ago #251 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Good to see some paint going on Gary,looking good :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #252 by agyoung33
Cheers Glenn. It is a nice feeling - primer on today. Base coat tomorrow hopefully. I've got 3 different brands of German grey that I need to choose from. I've got a feeling that I'll be going for the lightest shade in anticipation that the rest of the process will darken it significantly.

Fun times. I'll also be doing some more modulation too!! :cheer: :cheer: :lol:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 2 months ago #253 by Andrew
Initial painting is looking good B)

I checked out that PE stencil, sadly no StuG Abt 177 :(

More
9 years 2 months ago #254 by Bishop
Gaz what does the shield look like. I might have it here, but I'm not sure. You really need to get a nice double action airbrush like the ones Gary was looking into. I got mine from Super Cheap auto, RSC or whatever the brand is, but there are a number of versions of it that are very inexpensive, but still very good. I love the moment when all the scratch and other work is suddenly blended together and becomes seamless. She looks great so far mate.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #255 by agyoung33
Thanks guys. :)

Too bad about the stencil, but I wasn't anticipating that you'd have it, although it is a well known unit apparently.

This is it here, although I think I need one with a red background.

No worries though, I'm going to get some AM decals. About time I shelled out some $ for this kit that wasn't from an art store or wasn't white plastic stock!! :P :lol:

Yeah, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap AB. I remember hunting for the $25 special from SCA. While I wasn't successful on that occasion, I noticed that they also sold a $44 version. Not quite as nice, or with as many features, but....

And yes, that moment when everything comes together is a great feeling!

Cheers chaps, should have some photo's of the base coat on tomorrow!

Attachments:

More
9 years 2 months ago #256 by Gary
Oooh I think I got one of those, it's from a really old Warhammer 40K set, I'll take a ganders tonight.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #257 by agyoung33

Gary wrote: Oooh I think I got one of those, it's from a really old Warhammer 40K set, I'll take a ganders tonight.

Really? :ohmy: Warhammer and StuGs? Thanks for having a look Gary. :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #258 by Bishop
I haven't Gaz so we'll see how Gary goes. That's it, SCA. Gary (the real one) did you ever get a supply of those or source a good supply?

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
9 years 2 months ago #259 by Gary
I was talking to a company that manufacturers them about 2 years ago, I last spoke to them about a year ago. Since then my contact has moved on to another company manufacturing similar airbrushes. It's all about money really, I don't have enough free cash to kick off the importing of airbrushes. Besides the SCA brushes are identical although some of the ones in the range were better including ones with the airscrew adjuster (for around $18 Nz). The down side is I'd need to order them by the carton and it's about 50 per carton (same with most of the stuff). On top of that there's all the C&E duties, taxes, shipping etc I just don't have the time or the money to do it at the moment.

More
9 years 2 months ago #260 by Glenn

agyoung33 wrote: Thanks guys. :)

Too bad about the stencil, but I wasn't anticipating that you'd have it, although it is a well known unit apparently.

No worries though, I'm going to get some AM decals. About time I shelled out some $ for this kit that wasn't from an art store or wasn't white plastic stock!! :P :lol:

Yeah, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap AB. I remember hunting for the $25 special from SCA. While I wasn't successful on that occasion, I noticed that they also sold a $44 version. Not quite as nice, or with as many features, but....

I will have a look for ya Gary,I have some from a tamiya stug III G,sure it had a sheild like that

More
9 years 2 months ago #261 by Glenn
Dont know what happened with my last post,anyway I will have look for you tonite.

More
9 years 2 months ago #262 by Glenn

agyoung33 wrote: Thanks guys. :)

I have that decal with white back ground if any good to you?

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #263 by agyoung33

weldingrod wrote:
I have that decal with white back ground if any good to you?

Ahmm. Yes, that would be great!! Thankyou Glenn!!

More
9 years 2 months ago #264 by Glenn
Sweet as Gary :cheer: ,I will post a photo of full decal sheet later on,there maybe some others you need :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #265 by agyoung33
Another day at the desk. It's getting closer.

I laid the base coat down, along with a spot of modulation using some of the enamels I've got stock piled. I'll get onto the oil wash after it's dried.

I'm going to use a "blue" oil to tie it all together and hopefully give the surfaces more depth. There are a couple of mistakes here and there that I had to tidy up this afternoon - mainly to do with the modulation. I found that even though I was using heavily thinned enamels, it tended to cover over some of the post shading that I'd done, which I didn't want. Anyway, a little learning adventure. :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #266 by agyoung33

weldingrod wrote: Sweet as Gary :cheer: ,I will post a photo of full decal sheet later on,there maybe some others you need :)

Thanks very much mate. Very kind of you! :)

Cheers
Gary

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 2 months ago #267 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
when you talk about colour modulation which technique are you referring to ? I only ask as I've heard people use that term for everything from post shading to washes. I generally relate it to the "dot staining" technique which is with oils so as you're using enamels I wasn't sure which technique exactly you're using.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #268 by agyoung33
Hello bud!

I am zapping little bits like the transmission/engine hatches and other smallish detail with lighter shades of the base colour. Is that it? I'm using enamels because my oil set (which I got from a well known supplier of books) is rather limited in grey tones.

I thin the stuff down and then apply by brush. I think in retrospect, post shade and what I've done, isn't quite compatible because as I said it tends to wipe out the shadows I've put in. Perhaps if I used oils I'd have more control over the paint? It's fun experimenting.

The roof front centre panel is an example of where I went back with some thinners and wiped out the lighter shade, as are the sloping armour pieces that sit either side of the gun trough. An example where I left it alone after application is in pic 3. The transmission hatches are done in a lighter shade. The hinges are a lighter shade still, with the armoured splinter guard for the drivers view port in a very blueish/grey tone.

I hope that clarifies my technique man, (even if technique at the moment is wondering around in the dark...). :) :cheer: :)

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 2 months ago #269 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
I'm with you now, like panel accents. Colour Modulation could well be the correct term for it, I got tired of all the different names as everybody seemed to have a different version of what each meant. I tend to do accents with oils ( I use the Pebeo ones from Gordon Harris, not cheap but they last for ages ), I find enamels dry way too quickly and don't give the same "warmth" as oils. I find that the hardest part is trying to work out how it will all look at the end when different techniques are constantly changing the various hues. It's incredibly annoying when you get one layer just right then the next layer seems to just undo it all.

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #270 by agyoung33

Dean wrote: I'm with you now, like panel accents. Colour Modulation could well be the correct term for it, I got tired of all the different names as everybody seemed to have a different version of what each meant. I tend to do accents with oils ( I use the Pebeo ones from Gordon Harris, not cheap but they last for ages ), I find enamels dry way too quickly and don't give the same "warmth" as oils. I find that the hardest part is trying to work out how it will all look at the end when different techniques are constantly changing the various hues. It's incredibly annoying when you get one layer just right then the next layer seems to just undo it all.

Cool man. Yeah, I actually wonder if what I did today is more like a localised filter, 'cause that's the effect I was after - just something quite translucent in nature. but, alas, it was not to be.

I've still got my old oils (all three no name brand!), from the first time around the block and you are dead on about the depth of colour and variation they bring. I used them on the interior. When I'd finished the oil wash I knew that to do anymore would be taking a step backwards. Even the light dust I added after was a waste of time!

I'll meander by on the new ones for the exterior, but I'll check out the Pebeo brand ones. Thanks for the tip! :)

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary