DML StuG III ausf C/D

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
9 years 3 months ago #181 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Yes, when the final comes out. Try the new F8 since you've done this. Ok, I'm going to say it even though I'll have to moderate myself

SHIT THIS IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #182 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Thanks Bish for the kind profanity ( ;) ). :P

Yeah, you've most probably seen it guys, but there's a piccy of a GD Stug guy, pipe in mouth, looking over his Stug after it'd run over a mine. There are some nice, big detail shots of that F8. It'd be a cool build.

I've also been thinking if not that, then an early G such as they were, at the time of a parade where the GD Stug Commander recieved a decoration sometime in '43. The camo on those Stugs seems to be a light but fairly wide coverage of green mottling on top of a dark yellow base.

As for this one, I'm going to use the kit decals. I think it will be a vehicle from 1 battery, StuG abt 177. A nicer shade of panzer grey....

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #183 by agyoung33
Looks like my mini break from work helped speed things along with this. Here's a small update. Mostly tracks! And that rear stowage rack...

The book says 93 links. I managed 91 on both sides. I gave them a final clean up with an old tooth brush to get away some of the rougher sanding burrs and then glued like crazy and fitted them.

I'd always liked the look of the field mod racks they welded onto the backs of these but come the time for me to replicate it...couldn't really figure it out. There are no plans for me to follow and the pictures I had weren't that great so I guessed.

Spare track link anyone? :)

I'd say even after all the cleaning up I need to get some fine wet n dry onto these. Still. The worst of it's over! ( i.e "lets drill out the track teeth...." :drum: )

Cheers people! :)

Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by agyoung33.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #184 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Its really coming along nicely Gary B)

You got any stowage planned for the rear deck?

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 3 months ago #185 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Awsome WOW !!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #186 by agyoung33

Andrew wrote: You got any stowage planned for the rear deck?

Thanks Andrew! I'm thinking of the usual suspects. The spare wheels could go there but I'm thinking superstructure sides for those. Big old wooden box, or boxes, a bit of tarp if I can make one. I really like the idea of putting up a motorbike or bicycle.

Tamiya puts out a cheap m'bike and I'd like to try my hand at making the spokes out of fuse wire.... :pinch: :S :dunno: :cheer:

Oh, and a battered drum!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #187 by Andrew
Sweet :) I like the idea of adding a motorbike. I've got a pic somewhere of a StuH 42 with a bike on the back. Makes unusual stowage B)

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #188 by agyoung33
Yeah man. You could imagine someone in the battery being just that little way inclined to do recon via m'bike! I think it'd be fun! If I could pick up a model of a Brit bike it'd even be better I think.

Ofcourse my other idea was to put up a cooking instrument of some kind. Like a pressure cooker or, I don't know, a barbeque....I suppose though, these would be in the boxes I'm planning to put on the back. :huh:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #189 by agyoung33
Had a good day yesterday doing a bit o' painting!! But unfortunately I was so caught up in it I didn't take any photos. Will tonight after work and training.

One thing I'm beginning to remember is how to have everything dissassembled in order to actually paint things without having to mask like crazy. Case in point is the floor, where I had glued in the ammo box to the fire wall..... :drum:

The first time I rustled up the old ab it sputtered like mad as well. Nothing beats a good cleaning before and after use. I'll comment further when I have the photos up on the paints I used etc.

Cheers
G

EDIT: Sorry got home really late. Will have to wait till Wednesday.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #190 by agyoung33
I got a good go at the painting stuff over the last session and a bit. Really interesting comparing using an ab compared to brushes but I'm glad I took the plunge. It's certainly different but I like the results.

Masked up. I'd already layed down a coat of red primer, followed by field gray for the floor. Here it is after a coat of panzer interior buff. I've got some card board down as a mask. Man, I thought I've stuffed it up as I had glued the fire wall ammo bin..."how am I supposed to mask that?...."

Anyway, to the photos;

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #191 by agyoung33
con:

Sorry about the piccys. I need more light but the place I'm at is alittle poor when it comes to that.

Now here's something that I didn't know but not all paint brands are created equal when it comes to application. I tried 2 brands that I hadn't fired through the ab, Vallejo and Modelmaster, as well as my old Tamiya acrylics.

The Vallejo stuff (saddle brown doubling for red oxide primer), in the end came out really well (after I gave ab a good clean). It was just translucent. There's some residue on the end of the cannon, and on the top of the superstructure. I'm going to use their panzer gray they put out as the basis for the exterior.

Modelmaster contributed the panzer interior buff. Initially I was quite happy but then the ab started sputtering and all sorts of rubbish came out. I gave it a clean and found paint had dried on the end of the needle. I like the colour so kept on going with it. (it's not as yellow as it is in the pics - again it's the low light levels). Later on I touched up various spots and found the stuff is very good when it comes to brush painting - so much so that I used it straight out the bottle onto larger flat surfaces.

Has anyone else noticed this about MM paints? I thought I might as well throw the things out if they were going to be as bad as all that out of a ab, but....they have the colours and they brush well!

One thing else I noticed about them. They come out slightly satin which is fine with me as I like the look and anyway, I'll be needing to throw down a gloss coat before hitting the weathering anyway.

I'm really looking forward to putting down some modulation and then a filter for the interior.... :) :cheer:

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
9 years 3 months ago #192 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Those Have a Look Inside shots are my favorite :woohoo:

Top Shelf stuff AG B)

Tony lee

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #193 by agyoung33
Thanks Tony, very kind words. Honestly, it's like being a newby again, what with having to think about what effects I'd like to experiment with, and ofcourse, using an AB.

Having a good time ruminating about the next step!

Cheers!

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #194 by Andrew
Looking good Gary :)

I can't comment on the MM paints, I've never used them. I've always used Tamiya or Gunze acrylics. I do have some Vallejo, but I've only brush painted with that. I have just ordered some of the Life Color range of paints to try out, including Elfenbein for panzer interiors

More
9 years 3 months ago #195 by Bishop
I posted a comment here this morning and its not showing. Oh well. I was saying that I weather things and cover them with mud to hide everything, but this interior has nothing to hide. Outstanding Gary. Everything really looks the part under paint.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #196 by agyoung33
Thanks chaps. I've been wanting to get to this stage for awhile!

Hey Bish, the lets use mud to cover up stuff is my excuse!! :lol:

Yeah, the Tamiya acrylics are dead easy to use. My mix is 50/50 paint to thinner and it comes out really easily. I will say that of the two colours I used previously the most whilst brush painting (enamels), field grey and dark yellow, just hacked me off no end as it would be an age getting the mix right. I still don't have a particularly good opinion of their acrylic equivalents. Hence the branching out. I've got some Gunze stuff to try out as well sometime.

Not knowing any better I used a 40/60 mix I think, for the Vallejo stuff. I remember the guy at Modelair saying that the mix should be the consistency of milk. She was sweet after giving the AB a good clean and the paint as I've raved on before is something else. Vibrant is a good word for them.

In the old days I would've put a black coat on by brush for the exterior to serve as a preshade and primer for the base etc. Don't think I'll do it this time. I'm not sure about firing on a red oxide colour - it was a hassle spraying on the ivory and field grey trying to cover the red up for the interior. Took about 3-4 very light coats to do the job.

I might go with some Tam spray can grey and then preshade the edges and lines with some black. Thoughts?

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #197 by agyoung33
Got the motorbike afew days ago and it looks an interesting kit. It would look so cool on the back of the StuG!!! B)

I'd like to have a go at at least cutting the tyres away from the mudguards. There's a set of tyres I could use from the sidecar if things went haywire. The spokes are thick - and I'd like to find a quick/easy way of replacing them (ok, quick and easy isn't going to happen....). I'll see how I go on this, interspersing it with the painting of the StuG. If it's too big a job, then it goes bye-byes into some other project.

Meanwhile, yes. I'm going to build a motorbike! B) B) B)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #198 by Andrew

agyoung33 wrote: Meanwhile, yes. I'm going to build a motorbike! B) B) B)

Build log! I know you won't stop at the tires! :cheer: I reckon the seat spring would be an easy detail fix ;) :lol:

More
9 years 3 months ago #199 by Bishop
I have this one to make too. The only way to sort out the wheels is to scrap them and get nice PE spokes/ wheels to replace them. Funnily enough the bikes are small enough to " work" even if you don't touch the wheels too much. I actually have just the motor bike sitting in one of my dishes of parts all wired up and just needing painting. If you didn't want to try and get the sidecar on the StuG or didn't want to butcher the kit you could have the bike. It came from the old Tamiya 88 I built a couple of years ago now. I'm sure some of these ended up on tanks sidecar and all, but boy it'd be hard work getting it on.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #200 by agyoung33
Ha ha!! Hopefully Andrew it won't come to a separate build log! Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing about the seat spring....Nothing is as easy as I make out at first, but hopefully this won't take me six months to get to a point where I'll feel good about it.

Thanks Bish for the offer. Really kind of you, but for this, I think I'll have a go at finessing the kit up. I'm strangely excited about it. Ofcourse, now that you've mentioned it, I'd love to see what you've done with the base kit! :)

Work on the StuG is almost at an end. I think I have to wack up some screws for the armoured guard in front of the drivers position; weld seams for both the armoured air intakes; weld seams for the front of the superstructure where it meets the hull; completing the 2 field workshop brackets for the spare wheels (they are going up on the RHS superstructure) and the last of the brass additions when I've glued the hull roof to the hull - those early StuG mudguards are proving unending in nature! Assorted boxes for the rear stowage.

So, not alot of interesting build work left.

The painting is pretty exciting - love this stuff (have layed down a semi-gloss on the interior and waiting for it to "Harden up", in Bishops parlance) before putting down a filter and then weathering can start!

But sometimes, I go down to the basement, sit there, and go "dang, I want to cut some plastic!"

Hopefully, my new BMW friend can get me over StuG....sob. :lol:

More
9 years 3 months ago #201 by Tiger
Replied by Tiger on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Awsome stuff there. I have the BMW kit also in one of my dios, nice little kit. After all the work you have done so far with the Stug it would be a shame not to cut into the Beema, go on go cut some plastic LOL. A little build log would be nice

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #202 by Andrew
Here's the pic I was talking about, with a bike on the back of a StuH.

For discussion only. Copyrights acknowledged.

Attachments:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 3 months ago #203 by agyoung33
Alright then. I'll chuck up a build log for the bike when I get the time, most probably after I've cut the wheels out from the mudguards.

Yeah, it'd be a drastic loss in form, as you say Tigs, not to try and finesse the bike as I have the StuG. I had a quick look at some pictures of some '75s last night and the kit seems to be missing the sparkplugs/covers/leads; bits of the frame; fuel pipes leading to the cylinders; misc. piping/leads - you name it. It's a basic kit but it's all doable. I still can't see how I'm going to do the spokes though. Got to give it some thought and draw/plan it out.

Oh well. Challenge match; me vs the Beemers....

Thanks for the pic Andrew. It's an interesting shot - can't quite believe that the bike would just sit there though. (If that is the intention of the crew - to have a Bike permanently on the TOE). Perhaps the workshop welded a frame for the bike to sit on...I'd always thought I'd dump the bike flat against the rear deck, lashed down with rope. A piece of wooden board, say (RL measurements) 25mm x 300mm x 1500mm(?) so they could ride it off the StuG and ride it back on without having to heft the thing to/from the ground all the time.

Ha ha!! Another fine mess.... :)

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 3 months ago #204 by Andrew
Eduard make a PE set for the R75 that would sort your spoke issue, but the PE delivered will coss more than what you paid for the kit :blink:

How about using cut-down pins for spokes?

It looks as it that might be a temporary storage of the bike, it doesn't really look that secure. I guess where they put it would depend on how easy it would be to lift it there :lol:

More
9 years 3 months ago #205 by Bishop
I'd just leave the spokes as they are if you're only making up the bike as stowage. The basic stuff is very simple to do, just a few holes drilled and a bit of wire here and there. The major effort is the clutch brake leavers on the handle bar. I think that shot is of a Zundapp 350. No great side pots sticking out of the engine. I don't think the R75 would sit there that happily, nor would it just strap happily to the deck, again with the pots in the way. I didn't realise the fenders were strong enough to hold a bike like that, great shot.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #206 by agyoung33
Hi guys.

Andrew, I was looking at an Eduard R75 set this afternoon. At about $18 plus postage I could afford that. Make things a heckova lot easier (and quicker, hopefully), and it will be good to see how I handle the fiddly small brass stuff. Hmm.

Bish, I'd been thinking about the cylinder pots after you mentioned them and may have a solution. Have a few boxes the same depth as the pot. Put bike on top of boxes lying down. I've got some Tamiya 7.5cm ammo boxes. Or I could just bust some out of plastic card.

Anyhow. Apart from all that I've managed to do some painting. I did do the modulation thing, hitting the interior, as well as the mount and cannon. After drying, I put down some Testors satin clear acrylic.

A day later I put a deep blue Humbrol enamel filter over the transmission cover as a test, and a dark brown over the floor area. I like how it's come out, there is alot of variance in colour and shade I'm quite pleased with it. Considering I have a ways to go with the weathering I'm happy.

I've also managed to do some detail painting before putting the stuff into the interior as well.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #207 by agyoung33
Con;

Little bits.

Cheers and thanks for dropping over! :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #208 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Dam that looks good,very nice job Gary :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #209 by agyoung33
Thanks mate! We are slowly getting there! :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 2 months ago #210 by agyoung33
Coming around the bend into the last straight!!!! Got to the stuff I've been waiting to do for the last 8(?) months, I think. Weathering the interior.

I not quite finished. I need to do some dry brushing to tidy up some spots, and I've got to lay down some newish dust and then there's the internal stowage. Hmmm.

I'm waiting for the everything to harden abit more before hitting the dust on the floor. (it's alittle monotone for my liking)!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary