Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
  • agyoung33
  • agyoung33's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #121 by agyoung33
Replied by agyoung33 on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Thanks Charlieboy!! We are getting to that paint point sooner than later I tell ya!! :) :cheer:

"The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dean
  • I must do less research, I must do less research
More
9 years 6 months ago #122 by Dean
Replied by Dean on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Damn that's looking good. Obviously other people spent the Xmas/New Year period being a lot more productive than me ( in my defence the vege garden is looking good ).

My wife calls me a curmudgeon. I haven't looked it up but I assume it means "fun loving and free spirited" or some such twaddle. I inform and perform over at www.militarymodels.co.nz and stick my oar in here as well. My passion is WWII 1/35 armour but I'm coming around to liking the odd 1/32 thing...
The following user(s) said Thank You: agyoung33

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #123 by agyoung33

Dean wrote: Damn that's looking good. Obviously other people spent the Xmas/New Year period being a lot more productive than me ( in my defence the vege garden is looking good ).

Glad you like it mate!! Only thing is now I'm thinking fresh veges....can't beat them!!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #124 by agyoung33
Update:

Got some small pieces down as time wasn't on my side this past week, nor today. One goodish piece of news was that I got a new camera after the old one went missing.

Anyhow; I built a seat for the gunner, and whilst I was at it I rebuilt the holder for the sights. Stare long enough at various photos and the answer becomes apparent (i.e I was way off the mark at the beginning!) Got around to scratching a new sight as well, which was a cute job in itself. The quest for depicting the mount where it actually attaches itself to the gun goes on. Slowly (as you can tell from the pieces of sprue I've yet to cut off).

Ofcourse when I got this stuff done I added a guess at the stuff that actually elevates the gun, between the wheel and the mount. It's that huge gap in the roof that is the hole for the sight again that is making me paranoid.

I've also started on the radio, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The frame is alittle on the big side but again I can live with that. I had to put in a new bottom to the sponsoon as I felt that there wasn't enough depth for both the radio and the doodacky that lives underneath it. It's all just a facade - like the transmission. Most of it will be hidden from view so I only tried to build what could possibly be seen.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #125 by agyoung33
Update con;

The last thing was adding some more to that drivers area. This was the most boring part. It's like there's something nagging me to put more in....

Getting closer to the end of the interior. Been good fun so far. Except when it hasn't.... :lol:

Really like the camera....

Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by agyoung33.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 5 months ago #126 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Looks good to me B)

Nice scratchbuilding work :woohoo:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
9 years 5 months ago #127 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #128 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Rude word that's good. The gun cradle looks better than the DML one. You are a master at this. Also love the radio. The thingo under it is the power box it runs from. The only other thing you could make for it is the speaker, but I'm not sure where its located in this one. I think its in the corner of the box area its in, but I'd have to check.
Gaz you have got to finish that Tiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Bishop.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #129 by agyoung33
Thankyou guys!

Hey Maarten, perhaps I could get some corporate sponsorship from Mc Ds...I could call this thread the

"Happy Clown StuG". For every 10 burgers you eat you go into a draw for StuG of your choice*

I think you are right Bish, there is a speaker box on the front LHS of the casement. It's again sneaking looks through the holes in the roof to see if I can just see the space. I've gotten alittle sick of making boxes (there's about 2 more to do) but....

Still have to finish the radio; seats for the other crew; small bit of upper firewall detailing. Had a look at the Tiger and the parts I've modified for the interior are in various matchboxes...I feel I wouldn't know where to start!! :unsure:

*Offer applies only at participating stores. Some models of StuG may not be available. Children ask your parents first.

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 5 months ago #130 by Andrew
:lol:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #131 by agyoung33
Been busy over the week with another project but managed to do alittle bit. Funny how momentum can just vanish but I got over that and finished the radio; started and completed the commanders range finder holder; the drivers side vision port; and made a beginning on the commanders seat.

Oh yeah, spotted a cheap resin figure and thought why not? Not a figure painter (actually not a painter of any description... :pinch: )

He's got the soft panzer cap on so I think he'll be perfect for this. Anyway....

The drivers side vision port.

Completed radio bits. I was stuffed for space when I dry fitted the radio and the power supply, so I hacked the roof of the sponsoon that houses it and replaced it with some .5mm card.

The commanders seat and adjuster. It's alittle agricultural I'll admit but its the best I could come up with at the time. Just got to clean up the seat itself and build an attachment to the adjuster....oh well, I'll do better cutting teeth next time.

The rangefinder holder. Man, I'm pleased with how it turned out - didn't have too clear an idea at the start but it sort of evolved. Funny but as it grew it seemed to dare me to add more and more stuff. Just got on a fantastic roll with it. It's not quite finished - I'm going to add an elbow joint to the triangular thing with the wheels - on the real thing I think it allows it to pivot upwards etc. Really fun to try and scratch this. Probably the most fun so far on this kit, for me.

More
9 years 5 months ago #132 by Glenn
Replied by Glenn on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
Beautiful scratch building, :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #133 by agyoung33
con.

Well, thanks for looking in! Just afew more things to do/add; a communication pipe that's from the commanders station to the driver - Bishop, apparentely the speaker box came on a later mark - build an air vent switch on the fire wall and that's that!

Crap. Radio leads.... :drum: :huh: :sick: :lol:

Attachments:

More
9 years 5 months ago #134 by Glenn
You have done so well :cheer:
They are good enough to make some molds from,and bang them out in resin :woohoo:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #135 by agyoung33
Cheers Glenn! Almost at the painting end of things. Yes. And then I have to go and buy a figure. I'm going to have to get you fella's help! :cheer:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #136 by agyoung33

weldingrod wrote: You have done so well :cheer:
They are good enough to make some molds from,and bang them out in resin :woohoo:

Thanks again mate. Me, I'm not so sure - thanks to the wonders of photgraphy I can see that the tightening cylinder on the main pivot of the range finder holder is not straight. That's going to bother me tonight...Darn!! :unsure: :lol:

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago #137 by agyoung33

agyoung33 wrote:

weldingrod wrote: You have done so well :cheer:

Thanks again mate. Me, I'm not so sure - thanks to the wonders of photgraphy I can see that the tightening cylinder on the main pivot of the range finder holder is not straight. That's going to bother me tonight...Darn!! :unsure: :lol:

I should get a life :lol: :lol:

More
9 years 5 months ago #138 by Bishop
Oh man ... you've ruined it!!!!!!!!! Gee what crap!!!!!!!!!! Actually I know what you mean. Is it dry enough to get the knife in and remove and re-glue a new bit? (Yes I'm serious, I know how annoying it can be). You are the master at this stuff, that is outstanding. This interior is going to need a see through exterior. Wonderful

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Tony Lee
  • Shoot Low Boys,They're Ridin Ponies
More
9 years 5 months ago #139 by Tony Lee
Replied by Tony Lee on topic Re: DML StuG III ausf C/D
AG That's some really fine scratch work man :woohoo:

Hat's off to you
Tony lee

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
9 years 5 months ago #140 by Andrew
Awesome stuff man! :woohoo:

I'm with Glenn, you should make some moulds and cast copies, I'd be keen for a set ;)

More
9 years 5 months ago #141 by Glenn

Andrew wrote: Awesome stuff man! :woohoo:

I'm with Glenn, you should make some moulds and cast copies, I'd be keen for a set ;)

I could do with a couple of those sets,be alot easier that making them ;)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #142 by agyoung33
That's very nice guys but I don't know how to do it yet. I've been hunting around looking for resins etc that can do the job here in NZ and I've read a SBS on the process.

So who knows? Mind, I'd have to rebuild the thing again - I'd imagine that the casting process would magnify every mistake I'd made on the master by 10....

Thanks for the kind words Tony - I'll get there eventually - and start practising my painting!!! B)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #143 by agyoung33

Bishop wrote: Oh man ... you've ruined it!!!!!!!!! Gee what crap!!!!!!!!!! Actually I know what you mean. Is it dry enough to get the knife in and remove and re-glue a new bit? (Yes I'm serious, I know how annoying it can be). You are the master at this stuff, that is outstanding. This interior is going to need a see through exterior. Wonderful

Thanks mate. Very generous of you! It is dry enough to get a knife under there but I think due to the way I've constructed it it'd be too weak to lever it out. I'd break it and the rest of it. There is no comparison photo of it (i.e the range finder with say, a coin) to give it scale. I had a look at it this morning before hopping off to work and it is small. Most probably too small for me to repair without alot of pain.

Funnily enough with the very nice comments from Glenn and Andrew about casting the various bits in resin it got me thinking about how I could contruct the thing to withstand that process, (as well as to save me blushes).

I'm thinking drilling holes to mate the pieces together and using some copper/fuse wire. I'd need a strong, flexible super glue rather than the cheap brittle stuff that I use at the moment. Like I said, who knows. It'd be cool to treat my mates here with a simple set of castings! :)

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 4 months ago #144 by agyoung33
Small update.

Things have been hotting up again and that means leaving less time for this and other projects. But...having said that it's been very cool!

I finished the commanders seat! Not much left to go before I can get onto the exterior. :)

And dry fitted to the interior....

Slowly getting there! Any comments welcome! Cheers folks!! :)

Attachments:

More
9 years 4 months ago #145 by Bishop
Beautiful as always. I stand in awe. Very nice detail on that, I particularly like the shape of the handle and the seat

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 4 months ago #146 by agyoung33
Thanks Bish. That handle was a long time on the wet n dry. I also hollowed out the underside of it, just for the sake of rivet counters like the other Gary! :P

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #147 by agyoung33
Small update:

I feel like a truck drove over me and then reversed. Thank heaven for the weekend!

Small bits and pieces tonight. I'm done and it's almost beer o'clock.

Reworked scissors periscope and holder. Just alittle more detail. I had a closer look at the photo I was working off, plus a beautiful scratched example off the net and learned that the triangular piece at the bottom of the holder is actually a part of the periscope itself!

I think I stuffed up the airflow switch on the firewall. I think judging by the black shading on the photo, it indicates a 1/4 circle,actually cut into the said wall. Well, too late - I cut out the 1/4 circle, and well, just glued it on.

Periscope and holder together. Time for a beer! :cheer:

Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by agyoung33.

More
9 years 4 months ago #148 by Bishop
Its such precise work Gaz, just perfect.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• agyoung33
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 4 months ago #149 by agyoung33
Thanks mate, really nice of you again. That $20 I sent you is really paying off... :P :P

Seriously though, it's going to be interesting to go back to the Academy Tiger after this. It's currently packed away in a stout box with dimpled anticrush plastic. I haven't had a look at it since before that job I had in November last year.

I suspect that when I do get back to it I'm going to want to...strip it and get rid of the previous paint work. I also have an inkling that I'll be shaking my head asking myself why in hades I did certain things the way I did.

All good though. Fun! B)

More
9 years 4 months ago #150 by Bishop
No nothing you need to change there. All good. I'd be careful about stripping the paint if its going to damage things.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary