The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
2 years 11 months ago #331 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Working on the header tank and fuel tank I’ve reshaped the header tanks from rectangular prisms to the current later shape by adding to the rear and cutting a section out of the front. The side detail has been sorted, the sides now needing trimming and filling to blend them in. The main details will go on top. The fuel tanks will need smoothing out and straps added. The fuel cap will need a new handle rather than the solid block that was there.

Photos

Engines now ready for dark grey and details painting.

New header shape

Side details master

Others ready to cut out

Done, drying ready for trimming and blending

The other stuff

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #332 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Looking real GOOD !!!

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
2 years 11 months ago #333 by Bishop
I sprayed the engines with the dark grey and with the NATO black primer it gives a great effect. Just slightly satin as they should be. I can now pick out the details. The air filters are supposed to be insignia white though after weathering they seem to look ivory. I only have crap white paint so I think I’ll get some MR insignia white and be done with it. The headers are being detailed as are the fuel tanks. Lots to go, but we are moving forward.

Engines

Fuel tanks

Headers

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #334 by Bishop
The headers are now done though they will have oil lines into the interior added when installed. The fuel tanks are also done, but the new caps need to be painted up the flat sections in the photos are the dividing wall between these two items and the engine. This will become clearer when installed. The air filters are also painted ready for decals and weathering. Very shortly it will be time to paint all the engine details, add all the fuel lines and install the lot. Very exciting, but lots of details to paint in the next few days.

Photos

The lot

The headers

The fuel tanks

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #335 by Bishop
The fuel tanks and headers are now done and awaiting details. I’ve reached the point where I either go through and paint the details and install everything and THEN make the radio/ driver’s console for the three tanks OR or go ahead with the radio/ driver’s console and leave the details painting. I actually have a huge stockpile of parts ready for detailing and installation so I think it’s time to make it all fit before I build anything else. Once the rest is in place it will only be a matter of finishing the crew decking, the radio/ console and the shells and the bottom half of the hull is done. Then I can start on the three upper hull interiors. I should realistically be on to the turrets and JagdTiger gun and upper hull area by about Christmas. Should be finished these by Christmas next year.

Photos

And resting on the bay divider

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #336 by Bishop
A quick update with the early stages of engine painting. The red oxide pipes are done and the rubber joints need painting along with their clamps. Some of the dull metal grey parts are done as well. The three compasses also have their missing bases added and are ready for their faces to be attached once the decals are in place. These will be wired up to their power supplies as the interiors are laid down.

I’ve gone the “put the interior together first” route rather than make yet more items so that I’ll have the space to make the radio consoles. I hate the fiddly interior painting so it’s a good discipline to get it done.

The compasses are part of David Parker’s range at AFV Modeler, as are a number of the upcoming items.

Photos

Engines

Compass parts

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #337 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Top!
Tthey look real to me

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #338 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
What he said mate.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 11 months ago #339 by Bishop
David Parker compass decals now in place. To attach the frames I’ll use PVA first then CA glue to secure things. The PVA will save me flooding the decals with super glue.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #340 by Bishop
The compasses are almost ready to install. The covers are on and Pledge is now protecting the compass faces. The wiring is also attached and simply needs painting black so that it can be bent into shape when fitted. Solder is just wonderful for this sort of thing. The other engine has had the lighter metal areas painted and just need the pipe joints done.

The other items show will make up the four replacement air cooling pipes for the engine bay. The kit vinyl half pieces are just too horrid and wrong anyway. I now have to bend these old bits of plastic rod into shape. They were once torsion bars for the Verlinden Tiger. These are the last of them to be recycled.

Photos

Compass

Cables before and after bending

Horrid pipes

And bits for the new ones

The beads will become the mounts and the four rods bent up to become the tubing. Tape will be wrapped around them to simulate the ribbing of the pipes.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #341 by Bishop
Today I’ve corrected one of the headers to make it suitable for the JagdTiger. A simple process of removing the extra details found on the later Tiger example. I’ve also installed the compasses and confess that the JagdTiger one has gone in even though it probably never had one (this one was jolly well going to anyway after all the effort!!!), and I’ve bent the engine air pipes ito shape and completed their wall attachments. There is a lot of cleaning up to do before the tape can go on, but we’re getting there. A big relief.

I’ve also painted the hose joints and now have to add the colour for their clamps. I’m doing this with a silver pigment pen (uni-ball) which is an utter God send. The inner clamp needs some correcting as the ink flows more freely than I thought, but the two examples give the idea of how it will look. As with everything on the engines weathering will tone this all down.

Photos

Compasses

HL and renagade JagdTiger

JagdTiger Header waiting for red oxide

Pipes and wall fittings

And engines

Test paint clamps with the pen

The pen

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #342 by Bishop
So not being able to help myself I’ve started on the radio/ console stacks so I have something to make while painting. Good thing too. These will take ages to fix. They are the hardest correction to make in the entire makeover. NOT Trumpeter’s finest hour. They have molded the crew air filter to the com set and have installed the top radio set upside down. The frame is rubbish. Still with cutting and pasting and copying another David Parker beauty from AFV Modeler, I should end up with three credible units. The JagdTiger one is slightly simpler and the HL one will only be see through hatches so the good one will go in the Trumpeter Tiger.

Yuck

Yum

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #343 by Bishop
The surgery turns out to be rather major so I’ll see if I can make this radio face come together. If not I’ll leave the other radio for the HL set as is. No one will see it anyway.

To roughly correct the position of the disks etc I’ve had to cut the radio face into four. It’s still not right, but closer. The trick will be filling in the gaps. The other thing I could do is leave the third set out of the radio stack. Watch this pike of plastic.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #344 by Bishop
The radios have been freed and the JagdTiger top radio successfully reassembled so now I can start to make the racks for them. I’ve also freed the intercom set from the radio stacks so I can reposition them.

I’ve drawn on some of the engine clamps on one of the engines. These need cleaning up, but the pen works a treat. I also got a white pen and wish I’d seen a black one.

Photos

Radios

Engine hose clamps

Intercom boxes

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #345 by Bishop
In the middle of great business the radios are slowly growing outwards. I should actually bring the third one up to this stage. Lots of PE to bend and glue

JagdTiger

HL

And a few comm boxes added for decoration

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunfletcher

More
2 years 11 months ago #346 by Bishop
The PE racks now coming together. Once these are complete and the radios cleaned up I’ll continue scratching the large frames for the stack. One set will be like the PE ones and the JagdTiger frame a little simpler. This is nice straight forward PE.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 11 months ago #347 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Those are going to look a hell of a lot better than the crappy plastic :)

More
2 years 11 months ago #348 by Nosferatu
Replied by Nosferatu on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Awesome as always!! I reakon it would be a real adventure having a rummage around your workbench!! Bet there are some interesting treasures there!!

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
2 years 11 months ago #349 by Bishop
The inner racks are now complete so I can move to the exterior rack for each. These are quite complicated so I’m glad I have the AFV one to copy. The radios slide in and out of racks easily so can be painted without trouble. I’ve decided not to bother with all the headsets and mics. That would involve 12 sets of each.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #350 by Bishop
A hitch. I forget to check my JagdTiger reference for the radio and discovered that it’s set up like a Pz iii/iv. Poopies!!! So I've cut up the radio stack I’d prepared for the HL Tiger and have turned the upside down radio the right way up and have moved it to the bottom. No one will see, but I’m not sure you could listen to the rugby on this set up let alone talk to HQ.

I have Oscar Goldenman’s words from the beginning of $6000000 Man going through my head right now “Steve Austin, a radio barely alive... we can rebuild him”

Photos

One of these things is not like the other

Bog everywhere

The next part of the framework for the Tiger radios. Part of this exists on the ex Trumpeter stack so it’s a matter of building the missing walls etc

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #351 by Bishop
The HL frame beginning to come together

Looks crap this sideat present.

A bit better this side. There is some extra plastic sticking out along the rear wall so I can slot the side frame of the upper radio up against it as required and then trim things up.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #352 by Bishop
The frames continue to grow and the rejigged JagdTiger stack is basically ready for the interval frames to be added to them. I was trying to save as many as I could from the first time around to save plastic, but nah, too many were wrecked in the rebuild. So that’s next up.

Tiger frames

HL

JagdTiger stack

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #353 by Bishop
More on the radio racks. Both Tiger racks have progressed and the PE frames even fit into the rack. The JagdTiger radio stack is also done and the simplified rack has also been constructed. Lots to do on all these items, including adding the handles to the Trumpeter radios. The molded blobs are in the process of being removed as various bits of glue are drying. That great joy is going to be adding the dash to each. I’ll have to scratch one of them and the Trumpeter pair need lots of work.

Photos

JagdTiger radio stack and frame

HL stack

Trumpeter stack

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Bishop.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago #354 by shaunfletcher
That cage is so convincing!

More
2 years 10 months ago #355 by Bishop
Further again with the three stacks. The handles are now on the radios too.

JagdTiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 10 months ago #356 by Bishop
The radio stacks are now all finished apart from any plugs and wiring I’ll add so now it’s time for the driver’s consoles. I also need to sort out the comm boxes too. Only part the way there with all these, but it’s nice to have reached this point.

The three

The HL Tiger

The JagdTiger

And the Trumpeter courtesy of AFV Modeler

Next up the consoles. One to make and two to modify

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 10 months ago #357 by Bishop
Two comm units being modified and three dashes

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 10 months ago #358 by Bishop
More work done on the stacks. The dashes are in place and the comms too. Just a bit more to do on the two Tiger ones and then they’re done. The other thing I have to do is organise the various connectors and plugs for the radios. They should all be suspended from the hull roof. Not sure if I’ll do that or use a spacer and mount them “above” the transmissions.

JagdTiger

HL Tiger

Trumpeter Tiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 10 months ago #359 by shaunfletcher
Cant wait to see these cabled up

More
2 years 10 months ago #360 by Bishop
Closer with just a few more greblies to add.

JagdTiger with the stowage box to add once the panel is dry.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary