The Tiger ii family build 1:16

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
3 years 6 days ago #301 by Bishop
Replied by Bishop on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Lots of fun as things I’ve had made for months start being assembled. The red paint is on the extinguishers with lots of other painting to do obviously. The ducts for the radiators are now attached with various bits now to add and clean up. They can then be attached to the walls of the engine bay when the engine is being installed. The drive arms for the fans run off the engine itself so it needs to be in place first then the radiators slide in sideways. The engines have been painted (blocks so far), so the I don’t have to try and reach impossible bits once the other details are added. The torsion bars have also had a rough coat so the the metal finish has something to grip to rather than bare plastic. The swing arms will all end up red oxide for appropriate base coat painting later.

Photos

Red extinguishers and NATO black blocks

Radiator ducts

Heads

Black torsion bars

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 days ago #302 by Bishop
The engines form before my eyes and more and more needs to be done with them. A bit overwhelming trying to keep it all in order in my head. I can almost glue the heads on, but I now need to create the linkages for the inlet manifolds. These can be seen when you remove the cyclone air filters. Lots of pipe work too. At present I’m opting for the horrid kit pipes, but most people forget about them and make new ones. There’s weeks of work just sorting one set of pipes let alone two, but it brings these beautiful little engines to life. So, a jumble of parts

Oil sumps with a tube added. The kit lacks the tube. Through this runs the rod that attaches the an external crank for manual start up. A part was made for the kubelwagen engine so it could also provide the power to turn the engine over rather than man power. But I digress

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 5 days ago #303 by Bishop
The new flooring has arrived from the US. It is HO scale tread plate, a perfect match for the kit parts. Why replacevtge kit parts? Well because I need two floors not just one and because the kit tread lacks the forward central section and because the other sections are cut up into smaller parts as well. The kit parts have the pattern all running one way where as the vechicles sometimes had a section of tread running in a different direction. The new floors will be more realistic. The photos show the first basic cut out. The long side sections will be cut into two smaller sections. Also show is the missing floor plate for the driver x3. When cut out theses will have holes drilled for the bolt head details. I bought a good amount of this as the JagdTiger floor also uses this tread above the ammunition storage directly behind the gun cradle. Watch this space.

Photos

New floors in basic shape with turret floor to test things. Note the marked areas to be cut out at allow the flooring to fit around items on the firewall.

Driver’s floor plates ready for cutting and shaping.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
3 years 4 days ago #304 by Bishop
More of the engines done and the floor pieces ready for paint. I started cleaning up the torsion bars and suddenly remembered that I had to paint the ones already in the HL Tiger. Only a bit of red oxide to touch up thank goodness.

Photos

Floors

And HL torsion bars

I can now make the linkages for the carburettors.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 3 days ago #305 by Bishop
A bit further on the heads. I’m now ready to create the pipe work that runs from the rear of each head to the forward radiator hoses. This a little fiddly, but nothing compared to the fuel lines and the fire extinguisher lines.

The oil sumps are painted, but still need the shafts created that run through them to the starter motors.

The driver floors are done and the HL one installed. The other two will go in when the torsion bars are completed tomorrow. It’s little steps with everything.

Photos

Driver’s foot plates

One installed

Heads with more added

Sumps

Some of the torsion bars. You can see one with paint removed. I have to do this to all of them do the fit into the hulls.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
3 years 3 days ago #306 by shaunfletcher
Replied by shaunfletcher on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
That AK Ivory just looks 'right'. cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
3 years 2 days ago #307 by Bishop
The first pipe work has been installed on the heads. Solder to the rescue. Easy to bend and adjust when in place. The crank starter rods have been started. Various other bits have also been added so that the basic construction is done. Next up the carburettor linkages. I’ve been putting this off, but I can’t add more pipes until the heads are on and I can put those on until the carbs are sorted.

The driver’s floor is now in all three hulls. The torsion bars have also been completed and all are in place barring those that will cover the interior fuel lines. I’ll pant all these first and then add the rest. I’m not gluing anything until I’m sure the right wheels fit on the right swing arms.

Photos

Engine parts being test fitted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
3 years 2 days ago #308 by Bishop
And shots of the Trumpeter floors and fitted torsion bars. A few touch ups to do, but things are moving.

Tiger

JagdTiger

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 days ago #309 by Bishop
A quick update. Sumps done and ready to attach once the fire extinguisher hoses are in place, theheads are all painted ready for detailing once attached and the arms for the throttle linkages are roughed our waiting for all the new mounting points to dry and be sanded to the correct length.

I’ll make the cyclone air filters now while I wait.

Photos

Linkages and mounting points

Heads, well to of them anyway

Sumps with dip sticks added.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
The following user(s) said Thank You: shaunfletcher

More
3 years 1 day ago #310 by Henry
Replied by Henry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
The ivory looks lighter than I thought it was going to be . But thats some good progress going on here.

Thanks Henry

More
3 years 21 hours ago #311 by Bishop
The throttle arms are on the carburettors and now need the connecting rods and springs made up and attached. The filters have also been made, handles on for the JagdTiger and disks for the Tiger. You’ll not the white strips running along the outer side sections of each. These are to replace the molded ones that had to be removed to get rid of the spru connecting pins. Not the best work by Trumpeter here, but an easy fix.

Left side

Right side

Filters

JagdTiger

Tiger

Once the rods and springs are in place I should be able to get the heads attached tomorrow and start the general plumbing

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #312 by Bishop
Linkages and springs done, but I still can’t added the heads as there is a fuel line that runs through the middle of it all that needs to have holes drilled to receive the lines before everything becomes crowded with the heads in place.

Photos

Right side as you face the rear

Left side of the other engine

Both together.

The spring mounting posts need to be trimmed as does the excess on the main throttle springs on each. Why do this? Well, though these are covered when the air filters are in place, they all appear when they are removed. Same with all the fuel lines. I’ll add all the fuel and extinguisher lines because it’s good practice and the ones you can see need to attach somewhere. I will use a lot of the kit bits as they won’t be seen. Heads on tomorrow then lots of pipes to add.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #313 by Bishop
Will all just fit nicely

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Bishop.

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 11 months ago #314 by shaunfletcher
Damn all looks so delicate!

More
2 years 11 months ago #315 by Bishop
Finally together with the carburettors ready to paint then the plumbing. I have to paint the carburettors so that I can add the rear water pump and the forward items, the magnetos and fan drive

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #316 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Throttle return springs

Bishop wrote:

Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #317 by Bishop
This photo shows the rather poor kit piping for the carburettors, and the replacement piping under construction. You really can’t use most of the vinyl pipes as they are misshapen.

Also a photo of one of the engines in position. I’m very tempted to install the engine within the compartment walls before I install the walls themselves. This would work quite well and avoid the super hassle of trying to fit the engine into various slots with lots of things to break later. It only requires the lugs to be taken off the bottom of the forward engine mounts. We shall see if anything else would be effected first.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #318 by Bishop
The fuel lines around the carburettors are done including the joiners, and the joiners have been added to the lengthways water pipes on the heads. These now need clamps added. The rubber sections are made from tape as will the clamps. I’ve covered them with aquadhere so they don’t unravel.

Photos

Carburettor lines

The engines

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #319 by Bishop
Fuel lines around the carburettors now attached and all the rubber joints in place on the water pipes.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #320 by Bishop
And more pipes at the rear of the engine

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #321 by Maarten
Replied by Maarten on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Nice !

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #322 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
You left out the butterfly valves on top of the carbs :P
Looks bloody awesome mate, I'm half expecting to see a video of it all running lol

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 11 months ago #323 by Bishop
Heehee I did wonder about the valves actually. The greatest modellers haven’t bothered so I wasn’t going to either, but I haven’t finished yet. They may have been molded shut.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
2 years 11 months ago #324 by Kiwimav
Replied by Kiwimav on topic The Tiger ii family build 1:16
Artistry at work...WOW!!!

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.

More
2 years 11 months ago #325 by Bishop
So fuel can now get to the carburettors via the fuel pumps and water can get from the top of the water pumps to the right hand radiator pipes. The fun bit will be joining the fuel line to the fuel filters. Gentle bending and separate fuel lines into the filters will sort this. The current lines will be shortened and the rest will be made from solder. I’ve these are done then I need to do the fire extinguisher lines and they’ll be finished except for the clamps around rubber joiners the still need to be done. So glad I didn’t scratch a third engine!!!

Fuel lines in

Note the small pipe from the pump to the carburettor ring

Water line from the pump to the radiator hose

And the fuel filter end of things to be sorted.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
2 years 11 months ago #326 by Bishop
This final plugging in was a bit stressful with one of the solders beginning to give way, but all sorted with no disasters. The two grey kit pipes worked perfectly on each engine and one really wonders why Trumpeter wasted the time on the horrid vinyl pipes. It looks like the Panther when it arrives may have properly molded plastic pipes instead. We shall see if it even gets released.

Next up the extinguisher hoses. Almost there.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #327 by Bishop
The plumbing is done with the fuel and extinguisher systems hooked up. The fuel lines join things and the extinguisher pipes end in spray nozzles. I need to add to brackets to each and do the clamps and these are done and ready to paint. The NATO black is still too black so I’ll use it as a preshader for MR dark grey. This is perfect for a Maybach.

Photos

Nozzles directed at the fuel filters

The extinguisher lines across the rear, the T junction sending fluid to the carburettors and forward the oil tank and sorocco fan at the front of the engine

To the carburettors

And the front

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #328 by Bishop
And more beauty shots with various things added.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• shaunfletcher
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
2 years 11 months ago #329 by shaunfletcher
I swear you are going to wake up one morning and these are going to have started up and driven off..

More
2 years 11 months ago #330 by Bishop
I’ve had enough of these engines for now. They just need painting. Next up I’m working on the rear top fuel tank from which everything flows and the oil reservoir beside it.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary