A quick update. I've had my first day off in 14 days today so had some fun shaping heads and tappet covers to go on the block. The block I made a day or so ago. I'm so glad to have the little engine to go from, it makes life a lot easier. The bolt sleeves need trimming and bolt heads added, but you get the idea. These are as rough as can be as is obvious from the little engine, but at least the basic shapes are done.These were amazing engines for their day, giving the Tiger I a comparable speed to the Pz III/ IVs believe it or not, cross country and on road. They were best suited to the Panther and not quite powerful enough for the Tiger II. The planned fuel injected version (built and under development), would have been a big help. They were remarkable because of their compact size. They are, of course, nothing compared to the engines that drive Semis and tanks and so forth today
A bit further with the engine. I've stolen and adjusted some bits from the old Verlinden scratch engine, but I'm not showing you that one as it really wasn't even close to up to scratch. Anyway, you can start to get an idea of the engine now that the main bits are together. There is a huge amount of detail to add to everything, but I'll finish the main components and then go back to detail it. I've reduced the height of the whole thing by 3.5mm. It was a tad too tall, the sump (that thing you see just sitting beside it that looks like a jerry can), revealing this when I was trying it out fit wise. An easy fix, remove the bottom of the block and cut the sides down and then glue the bottom back on.
Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Thanks guys. As the song says, we've only just begun. VonD all you are seeing here are the basic canvases. All the details still need to be added. These new photos show more of the front detail in place, lots still to add here too, but it is beginning to take shape. The photos show two new cyclone air filters under construction. Again the details from the old ones just don't stand close inspection, so time for new ones. I'll also now start working on the details in the trench between the heads, including the quad carbies. Yes, all the piping will go in, as in the pipes and fuel lines. There really isn't much exposed wiring (leads etc). What I will be important is to make it removable. I confess I'm adding lots of detail I wouldn't normally add and in the case of the engine I really do want to be able to see it later.
Many thanks. The shots have shown up that I made the base of the front assembly too long so I've attacked it will the flat blade and it is now as it should be. The bit I'm talking about is the base of the large cylinder that sticks out of the front with the two smaller cylinders above. Do you know I have no idea what they are for. I must get that Tiger book. They make the HL230 way cooler looking than the 210, but I still don't know what they are for. I know what everything else is. Heating perhaps, or the water pump (that's certainly where you'd find it and its attached to the heads through the large pipework soon to appear. Anyway.
A bit more progress to the "water pump" area at the front, with the famous piping added. I've also made up the basics for the carbies and air filter mount that sits above the carburetors. I've started to add some of the other non-descript details in between the heads too. There is lots of detail to add to all of this though I'll do no more to the carburetors as the filters will be glued in on top. Once all the detail is added to this area I can start on the sides of the block. Tons to go yet and this is only the first interior item to build.
Nothing in the valley between the heads is glued in place yet as everything needs to be cleaned and, as I said, needs more detail. Once it is all done I'll add the detail to the rocker covers (these also cover the spark plugs and leads), both on top of each side and at each end. Lots to go in this area actually. It is important to add as much detail as possible in this scale as it covers up the inaccuracies.
No not a luger, some other shell end I used the rest of the casing from for the front end of the StuG III. Curious. It certainly doesn't drive the fan as these four babies sit way to the side elsewhere, so perhaps the fan (impella), for the water pump. I haven't even had time to look yet. Anyway, nice shot of the P30 for the Panther and later the Tiger II. The P 45 with the free standing filters goes in the Tiger I.
Ha, spare skill, I could use some of my own. Di%khead here glued the water pump thingy at the front too far forward, leaving me scratching my head as to why the base for the air filters was too short. Thought for a few seconds about leaving it and then ripped the front construction work away and placed it all back in the right spot. Thankfully the glue and plastic was still soft even after a day or so and there was no damage. It now looks right and everything fits properly. I've almost finished the basics of everything that sits in the trench between the heads and can now go back and detail everything on the top of the engine. We shall get to the sides momentarily now that the dimension issues are sorted. Photos to follow
More details added. The top is finished bar some trimming up of things and adding a few more bolt heads on things like the exhausts. I also need to run a strip along each of the exhaust covers and add inspection plates and engine spec plates to the rocker covers and all will be well. One side is basically finished so I can turn to the other. I should have this done by the weekend. Then I will start on the cooling system and fuel tanks. Each of these components is a model in itself.