• Kiwimav
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • No time to spare..too busy!!!
More
4 years 6 months ago #331 by Kiwimav
Damn man, that is some aupurb work you are doing there...watching this for sure

Update In Stash:
Lots of 1/35 Armor mainly WWII German and a few Modern British/American pieces, 1/32 Aircraft and 1/48 Aircraft. Aircraft chosen to replicate RNZAF and RAAF types through the years. Some RAF & USAF types exist also.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #332 by Bishop
Ebay tells me that the decals are in the mail. I've started painting the details on the hull. Boring stuff at present. Lots of Tamiya hull red going on as foundation for everything from wooden handles to tow cables. The one draw back of having such a heavy model is trying to hold it in the right spot to paint the underside of things. Photos when there is something interesting to show.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #333 by yak
Holy crap you have done some work since i last saw this. it's looking outstanding :woohoo: :woohoo:

Rob

No model left behind even if it screams all the way to the display shelf!

Currently hacking away at:
1/24 Tamiya Mazda RX-7 S4
1/25 Revell Datsun 720 Kingcab Rebuild
1/24 Hasegawa Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR race car
1/24 Fujimi Nissan S14 Silvia (early)
1/24 Fujimi Autech S14 Silvia (late)

Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by yak.

More
4 years 6 months ago #334 by Bishop
Not much to report. The tools are all painted and the cables and spare tracks have had their base coats finished. Just waiting for decals and some time to add more paint to the cables and spare tracks. Glad to have the KV1 to go on with.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago #335 by Bishop
The decals have arrived and are very nice. Onwards

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago #336 by grunzter
wow!, I had a lot of posts to catch up on, it was well worth it...
Outcome is fantastic.
Good for you to remind us what you started with, so the transformation can be fully appreciated.

More
4 years 5 months ago #337 by Bishop
Many thanks. As I said in the KV! thread things are mad, but the decals are one and thankfully look okay. You could catch people jumping out of a burning building with these decals. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO think. Grrrrr. Had to spend lots of time poking holes into the ones on the zimmerit to get them close to settling. Even if I'd cut around each decal itself the thickness issue would have gotten in the way. I've hidden as many of the edges as I can so it should be okay. The washes will blend everything ultimately, but I will have to be very careful not to show up edges with any dry brushing or graphite powder. The printing of the decals is superb, but the thickness is ridiculous. I ended up trying hairdryers, bottles of decal setter, finger nails and even the back of a blade to get everything into the zimmerit. Nothing would break the paper, not even the Death star ray. Anyway, on now with the chipping. There isn't so much to do as the Zimmerit covers a lot of surfaces. Photos coming shortly

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago #338 by Tiger
Shame about the decals but i'm sure they will look good when all done.

More
4 years 5 months ago #339 by Bishop
Here are some shots with the decals in place. I feel like ripping some of them off as I'm going to have to try to match the colours around them to the dreadful film and in some places the seam is going to show as soon as I add the washes. Rude word. They could, of course, be a lot worse so onwards. I have begun chipping the hull, but I realised I was rushing it so am having a good break from everything tonight and will take the next week or so to work my way around. I'll try to disguise the decals as I go along. I'm almost tempted to put the tracks on, I can't wait to see it all together.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago #340 by Bishop
I've been running around the tank today trimming and peeling the edges off these dreadful decals and apart from the one on the rear of the turret bin they all now look presentable. I can also now get decal settler under the numbers etc themselves so hopefully they should finish settling nicely. The one on the turret bin I just gave up on peeling it off with my finger nails. The film peels off like the face mask peel off stuff people use to make themselves beautiful. These decals are anything but. Poopy house, that's for sure. More chipping too. Nice and slow. I'm starting to enjoy this. I refuse to stuff it all up now.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #341 by Maarten

Bishop wrote: The film peels off like the face mask peel off stuff people use to make themselves beautiful. .

Other people......... yeah sure ;)

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Maarten.

More
4 years 5 months ago #342 by Powder
Looking great Bishop.

One decal trick that I've had some success with is hot water - straight out of the jug - pour into a mug - dip a corner of a kitchen sponge into the hot water - then slam it on the decal and hold it there. You'll burn your finger but the results might be worth it. :)

More
4 years 5 months ago #343 by Bishop
Thanks for that. Trimming them up has helped a lot. The decal fixer is now able to get in amongst things so they will do. I will remember that. I even tried the hair dryer on these and nothing. Anyway, this is information for Gary (legend), who is working up a replacement for the rear turret bin decal.

This is what it looked like

Dimensions are

20mm height

5mm thickness of each number

11mm width of no. 3

13mm width of no. 4.

Many thanks Gary

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 5 months ago #344 by Gary
What font do should I use?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 5 months ago #345 by Bishop
Hi Gary

I don't know what its called. Whatever the font in the picture is called. Maarten may know it's name. The main features are the round open three and the open four. The upright on the four has slightly more above the line than below. If it is an accurate rear number then it is crew artistic license

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 5 months ago #346 by Tiger
Pretty hard to see in the pics what's up.
They look good from here, I'm sure its all going to look superb. Like you said far to into this now to let it turn to dog doos.

More
4 years 5 months ago #347 by Bishop
Started back on this. The hull is now chipped so I'm moving to the turret. Once the turret is done I'll add the mud (dried as it is Summer 44 to the hull sides, wheels and tracks, and then it will be time for washes. Photos to follow.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 4 months ago #348 by Gary
I think I've got the fonts about right, how does this look?

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Attachments:

• Andrew
  • Serial kit starter...
More
4 years 4 months ago #349 by Andrew
Looking great Tony :)

Love the camo pattern on the 502 Tigers

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

More
4 years 4 months ago #350 by Bishop
Hi Gary the numbers look great. Many thanks

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 4 months ago #351 by Bishop
Time to start chipping this turret. The gun started to move so after lots of CA poured in around the cradle it looks to be solid again. Just drying here. Going back to it it is so much larger than the Pz IV

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #352 by Bishop
Time to get this one over the line now that the KV1 is done. As stated in the KV1 thread I've weathered up the tracks for this while doing the KV1 tracks. Just enough mud to suggest rain and cross country work, but fairly new tracks otherwise. This is not an old tank. Once these are on the tank and I've weathered the wheels, I'll blend everything in with a dusting of wooden deck tan. It is time to turn to the chipping of the turret and the weathering of the hatch interiors.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #353 by Tiger
Nice tracks there Bishop :woohoo:

More
4 years 3 months ago #354 by Bishop
The decals from Gary have arrived and are superb. So on we go. Time to finish this one.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 3 months ago #355 by Bishop
So, some photos of the next stage. I've completed the rear of the stowage bin with the help of decals from Gary and they've worked a treat. There was some paint damage from the removal of the dreadful ones so this has been covered with chips. The decals have had the white surrounds added which gives them the painted look and the whole thing covered with dull coat. I'm really pleased with how they've turned out. Many thanks again Gary.

I've also muddied up the running gear and have added the tracks. Again they are held in place for now with copper wire. I've dried the mud out with a light dusting of sand brown just to suggest a drier period, but I will darken everything with a wash of raw umber to tone it down a little. The raw umber is really the magic wash on these builds. It not only fills the panel lines, but also gives a grimy look that straight up mud can't do. I will also add some some to the wheels hubs and on the engine deck to show oil leakage and spills. I also need to give the exhausts the rust treatment and soot on the tips of the mufflers. To finish it off it will be time for the graphite powder.

Once all this is done I can return to where I started and weather the engine. I now have horrid thick decals that I can actually use to simulate specification plates and all. I've kept this till last as I want it to be able to stand as a model in it's own right, either within or on display beside the tank.

So glad this one is moving to the finish line. It means that I can move on with the twin Tiger IIs

Photos of the weathering so far. It looks amazing with the tracks finally on... and it weighs at least 58 tons

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #356 by Bishop
And

The decals in place

Ready for the next stage

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #357 by Bishop
Funny opening the hatches, you remember there's stuff inside too. So long ago now....

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 3 months ago #358 by Bishop
Different washes are now in place and she's almost there. I ran into an expected problem with the turret side decals. They couldn't handle the washes so I finally gave up, peeled them off like face cleaner as per the rear bin one and painted the outlines on myself. They look much better than the horrid original things. That held me up over night, but I've done all the washes and have sprayed a light spray of deck tan around the wheels and fenders to give the idea of dust over mud. This just leaves the exhausts to do and the graphite powder to add the metallic look to things like cables and worn spots. I'm starting to feel happy with it, a nice feeling after a long build. Finally, as I said in a previous post, I'll turn to the engine for weathering.

These photos are an attempt to show the dust and show off the numbers on the hull side. This thing is so heavy it hurts my arm to hold it up for weathering. One thing I may have to do is remodel part of the cupola MG mount. It appears in some of the shots having waited a very long time for the day as it were. It is in it's original form from the Verlinden Tiger, modelling work from a long time ago. I'll check it over before I add it to the finished product. I just need a 1:16 MG.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #359 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #360 by Bishop
And finally

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary