1:16 Heng Long Tiger I makeover. Conversion to lateTiger I - FINISHED

Facebook TwitterGoogle Bookmarks
More
4 years 6 months ago #301 by Bishop
The rear of the hull is now finished and a number of items have started to appear on the front. I've made the C shackle holders as complete units for easy construction and installation. I've installed a couple of the hull roof tools to help me get the hull roof shackle in the right spot. I plan to have the shackles in use so I'll finish the holders empty. The headlight is from the Verlinden Tiger. Now days it would be hollow, but I'll leave it as is. Its a nice piece of resin molding actually.

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #302 by Bishop
The rear of the hull is now finished and a number of items have started to appear on the front. I've made the C shackle holders as complete units for easy construction and installation. I've installed a couple of the hull roof tools to help me get the hull roof shackle in the right spot. I plan to have the shackles in use so I'll finish the holders empty. The headlight is from the Verlinden Tiger. Now days it would be hollow, but I'll leave it as is. Its a nice piece of resin molding actually.

Photos

And finally the painted barrel just sitting there. Its been prepared so that when it is time to paint the turret it can be painted in situ rather than added afterwards. I will not actually glue it in as it sits firmly in place and will be easier to transport barrelless if required

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #303 by Xtr3meNZer
Good idea with the barrel, looks like it's coming together well man
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

More
4 years 6 months ago #304 by Tiger

More
4 years 6 months ago #305 by Bishop

And the bin lids

Amateur plastic surgeon!

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
More
4 years 6 months ago #306 by F1xena
Just wow!
I'm currently reading Panzers In The Mud, by Otto Carius (Terry's recommendation) so seeing this thread is actually bringing it all to life.
If anyone else is interested in reading about a Tiger commander's war, you can read it online (for free) here:
archive.org/stream/TigersInTheMudTheCombatCareerOfOttoCarius
Cheers
Tania

• grover
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Kane - Like the biblical figure, only prettier
More
4 years 6 months ago #307 by grover
That's awesome detail Bish.

Kane
On the Bench - Tamiya 1:48 F-117

More
4 years 6 months ago #308 by Bishop
So, the hull is almost done. All that is left to do now is add the welds (scribed in rather than with epoxy this time), and to paint the engine bay. This will have a coat of black primer and red oxide and will then be weathered later. Once all this is done it is time for the paint. I'll turn to the turret first, however, so that I can prime and paint everything at once. One of the frustrations with these large models is that they move along quite quickly once any interior is done. This is no exception. Apart from attaching the tracks and making the top track holders the only thing that needs to be done to the turret is to add about 200 rivets to the stowage bin. This should take another 6 months. It is tempting to get a rivet application tool as used on the planes, but these tanks ones are round headed rather than recessed as on a plane. :S Anyway, "almost done' photos.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #309 by Bishop
And

Its taken so long, its a great relief to see everything fitting together.

On another note, Tania, a huge thanks for the link to Tigers in the mud. I've wanted to read this for a very long time and the author was such a nice guy. Very highly respected and a very gracious gentleman. He was a Chemist after the war, only dying last year in his 90s.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #310 by Bishop
The hull is finished and I've put some paint on various bits to allow me to paint everything later at the camouflage stage with the turret on. I've also gotten to the point on the turret where the tracks have been installed and the top track holders can be give a final sanding to get them all matching and looking good in situ. The MG ring is back in it's place on the commander's cupola, and yet again I'm so grateful for all the spare parts the Verlinden Tiger was able to donate. I was in fact the commander's cupola which inspired this project. I dreamt about it while doing the FO5 Tiger. Anyway, some beauty shots taken while I caught myself looking at it all and smiling.

The engine bay ready for weathering later.

The spare tracks

The underneath of the hatches can now be weathered with everything else

The jolly bin which I need to do next.

And finally, almost ready to paint.

Its finally starting to look like a real Tiger.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #311 by Tiger
Wow, getting so close to the finish line.
You must be pretty chuffed with yourself. It is a very fine piece of work you have made there Bishop.

• F1xena
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • If only I could build kits at the pace I buy kits!
More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #312 by F1xena

Bishop wrote:
On another note, Tania, a huge thanks for the link to Tigers in the mud. I've wanted to read this for a very long time and the author was such a nice guy. Very highly respected and a very gracious gentleman. He was a Chemist after the war, only dying last year in his 90s.

You are most welcome...I had the opportunity to buy a copy recently in London, but to be honest couldn't justify the price. The Archive site includes all the photos too. Apparently if you join the site you can download it as a PDF, but I've just been reading it on-line.
As Terry said to me, nice to see he was a military man but not a Nazi, and is openly critical of "the Party" and the High Command. He is also a bit critical of the Americans as soldiers....especially when compared to the Russians.

Absolutely loving your build Bish...as I said, brings the book to life. I've got a Dragon Tiger 1 in the stash that I might actually build before long. Thanks for the motivation!

T
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gary.

More
4 years 6 months ago #313 by Bishop
I'm up to the 5 appendixes now and will re-read it. A really good read actually. I am really surprised that he actually wanted to get back to Russia, rather than go west. Something about fighting along side friends. Anyway, with the Tiger I'm now down to doing welds on the turret and making the turret bin latches. These take forever, but I should be ready to paint by the weekend.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #314 by Bishop
And suddenly its finished, well, the building anyway. Its been going on for so long that I can hardly believe it. In these first photos you can see the welding added, the bin latches installed and various details added to the gun assembly. The second lot show it with the dark yellow base coat on. It is a hot (not boiling) summer afternoon so I've had a few moments to give a black and red oxide under coat to the still to be painted areas and then I've given a dark yellow base coat upon which will go the red brown and green. I'm still tossing up whether to use nato green (a good end of war green), or field grey which gives a nice faded look. This needs to be a fairly new vehicle which is coming in for a first service (engine replacement).

I have been careful not to get red oxide on the zimmerit. I've made this mistake on the little tanks. The black acts as an excellent shader for the zimmerit, but the red oxide sucks. I will add it where the zimmerit had broken off, however. So, next up some camouflage then the fun can start. This will have to wait a few days for when I get some spare time..

Photos

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #315 by Bishop

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #316 by Bishop
And finally with the base coat

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #317 by Xtr3meNZer
Wahoo, on to the painting. This is looking amazing, and quite looking forward to the end result mate.

More
4 years 6 months ago #318 by Bishop
Work madness starts again this week so I pushed forward to get the camouflage done. I've always wondered about this scheme. It is the one on the front of DML's wonderful late/ final Tiger I with zimmerit kit. Looked very over the top. However, I decided to try it out on this Tiger as it fits the bill for SS 502 in the Normandy campaign. The airbrushes all worked nicely, the compressor did the same as usual, and blow me down it actually worked. The perfect morning for painting here, cool and fine. If only summer was always this way, but I digress. Now that its done the real fun can begin. I'll put all of this under dull coat and then begin decals and weathering. Not sure what I'll do with the numbers. They are white outlines. The divisional marking is very easy and I have two crosses so they're covered. I may talk to you Gary about some decals.

Anyway, photos.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #319 by Bishop
Along way from this

to this

:ohmy:

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 6 months ago #320 by Powder

Bishop wrote: I'm using the Ubolts as they came with the tank, apart from a clean up, as they are a perfectly good representation of the real deal.

Wow, you're using something from the original kit - that's cheating. :P

She's looking great with paint on it and so much better than the grey 'toy' and that's without even looking inside.

More
4 years 6 months ago #321 by Maarten
excellent paint job !

'' I could sense things were about to kick off, so I got out of there !''

Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #322 by Glenn
Just loving this build tony,
Everything is looking fantastic with some colour added :cheer:
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Bishop.

More
4 years 6 months ago #323 by Xtr3meNZer
Wowza, very nice paint job! I think I would attempt this one if I ever did it. Love it mate

More
4 years 6 months ago #324 by Tiger
Wow Bishop, looking superb with the paint job on now :woohoo:

More
4 years 6 months ago #325 by Nosferatu
Great paint job Bishop! Obviously there is no end to your talents!! Finish line in sight...soooooooo Aircraft next?

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"

More
4 years 6 months ago #326 by Viperbuilder
That camo scheme looks really good Tony. The build has been fabulous to watch.

On the bench:
Airfix 1-48 Tiger Moth

More
4 years 6 months ago #327 by Bishop
Information for Gary as per PM

So Gary, this is what the decals look like. You would have them if you have either DML's 3in1 late Tiger, or their wonderful Late zimmerit Tiger.

Converting to 1:16 the numbers fit into a rectangle 11mm wide by 22mm high. The white outline is roughly 1mm
Many thanks again for your help.

Amateur plastic surgeon!
Attachments:

More
4 years 6 months ago #328 by Gary
I can't print white, I assumed they would have red in the centre then I could use white decal paper, print the red and then cut around the outside on the die cutter, but as it's transparent that's beyond my printer's abilities mate, sorry.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 6 months ago #329 by Bishop
Ah, no worries I'll look at other avenues.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

More
4 years 6 months ago #330 by Bishop
Gary, its a good thing I was asking you about this as I was after the wrong numbers. It was Willi Fey's 134 I needed. I've found some Peddinghaus 1/16 Tiger I Markings for Willi Fey's Tiger so I've ordered those. These are from the same company as the FO5 ones Maarten sent me for the last Tiger. I can go on with details painting now while I wait for them. I really didn't want to spoil the camouflage after all the work so this will sort things nicely. It is interesting that the turret side numbers are in outline and the rear bin numbers are black with the white outline.

Amateur plastic surgeon!

Moderators: Tony LeeAndrewGary